The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

AStrangeName

Member of Snitch Syndication
Daps
With the new GPUs the 1660 ti and 2060 is the newest ones of the cards I've listed, but serve different purpose basically if you care about ray-tracing there's the 2060 if not then the 1660 ti. In terms of silence some are saying the Strix versions are silent, some aren't so it goes down to choice really.

FreeSync and GSync breaks down to two things, what to have more options on choosing monitors then FreeSync (NVIDIA GPUs works on select FreeSync monitors). What to stay in NVIDIA's ecosystem and not run to a lot of issues, but pay a premium then there's GSync. Does it matter? If you don't want a lot of screen tearing and also high refresh rate then yeah it matters. If not, then don't worry about it. Premium Samsung TVs since 2018 supports FreeSync variable refresh rate which helps AMD GPUs, but not NVIDIA GPUs so that's all I can say on that matter.

Maximus Rex

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Evils of Men
Haven't upgraded my PC except for the SSD(128GB to 1TB late last year) since 2015

i7-6700k
980TI
32GB RAM

thing still runs like a beast but I don't game on it, getting Doom Eternal though

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
The new pc itch, I don't know what cases to use for a Server Build and ryzen 3 system.

Do you already have old gen ryzen? That's the only reason to buy older motherboard then newer. The new cpu won't be compatible out the box with older boards

I'll need another mobo for Ryzen. The x570 mobos are going to be expensive and I can update some of the older ones without a cpu and put the money in other parts.

Mʀ2ᴋDᴇᴇᴢ

Licensed New Age Healer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Midwest
Looking to start PC gaming but preferably would like a laptop. A nikka looking to get back into WoW Classic & other bullshyt, nothing too serious.

What would be some recommendations? shyt, a desktop isn’t completely out of the picture either.

MMA

Superstar
Daps
I'll need another mobo for Ryzen. The x570 mobos are going to be expensive and I can update some of the older ones without a cpu and put the money in other parts.
I am confused do you have ryzen 1 or 2 right now, you will need one before you can upgrade the motherboard bios to use ryzen 3.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
I am confused do you have ryzen 1 or 2 right now, you will need one before you can upgrade the motherboard bios to use ryzen 3.

I don't have any Ryzen right now. Some of b450 and x470 boards support usb flashback so you can upgrade the bios with a flash drive.

Here is a list that I got from Reddit
ASRock (BIOS Flashback)

None!

ASUS (USB BIOS Flashback)

ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme

ASUS Crosshair VI Hero

ASUS Crosshair VI Hero (Wi-Fi AC)

ASUS Crosshair VII Hero

ASUS Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi)

Gigabyte (Q-Flash Plus)

None!

MSI (Flash BIOS Button)

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

MSI B450 Tomahawk

MSI B450-A Pro

MSI B450M Bazooka Plus

MSI B450M Gaming Plus

MSI B450M Mortar

MSI B450M Mortar Titanium

MSI X370 Gaming M7 ACK

MSI X370 XPower Gaming Titanium

MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC

saturn7

Politics is an EXCHANGE!!!
Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman
Say brehs, it's time for me to buy build a new PC, probably for September. I'm not a gamer so I'm not looking to overclock anything or have the highest possible specs though I do some video editing (After Effects, Premiere and use softwares like Revit or Archicad). I'd rather have a good multitasking PC (with plenty of RAM and a solid CPU) rather than a gaming oriented PC. Will probably splash 800€/1K USD on it.

Here's the parts I'm interesting in : System Builder - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Strix, 101 ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker
I already have hard drives and my current SSD for storage. PSU is 700W (from my current PC) and I will probably hook this up to my current 27" monitor or alternatively to a soon to be bought 55" TV. What do you guys think ?

My current setup (from 2014) :
Code:
PSU : Be Quiet System Power 7 700w 80Plus Silver
CASE : BitFenix Outlaw
CPU : AMD FX 8350 Black Edition (4.0 GHz)
COOLER : Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo
MB : ASRock 970 Pro3 2.0
GPU : Gigabyte R9 280x
GPU :  Gainward GTX580 Phantom
RAM : 4 x G.Skill XL Series RipJaws X Series 4 Go DDR3 1600 MHz - PC12800
SSD : Samsung 840 Pro 120Go
MONITOR : AOC 27 E2795VH
HDD : 1 x 250Gb + 1 x 500Gb (not even full)

I have the same CPU and a different 1060 6GB GPU. Very good for 1080P gaming. You should be able to play most games on high or ultra settings. The R5 may clock slower than similar Intels but it kills Intel in terms of the threads you get for the price.

I run the stock cooler on the 2600. You can save $$ and just go with the stock.

$360 is waaaay too much for a 1060. I got mine last year for $210

There are still new 580's available from $180 - $210 plus they come with games.

PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon RX 580 Dual-Fan - Micro Center

MSI Armor Radeon RX 580 Overclocked Dual-Fan - Micro Center

Sapphire Technology Nitro+ Radeon RX 590 - Micro Center

Last edited:

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
I have the same CPU and a different 1060 6GB GPU. Very good for 1080P gaming. You should be able to play most games on high or ultra settings. The R5 may clock slower than similar Intels but it kills Intel in terms of the threads you get for the price.

I run the stock cooler on the 2600. You can save $$ and just go with the stock.

$360 is waaaay too much for a 1060. I got mine last year for $210

There are still new 580's available from $180 - $210 plus they come with games.

PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon RX 580 Dual-Fan - Micro Center

MSI Armor Radeon RX 580 Overclocked Dual-Fan - Micro Center

Sapphire Technology Nitro+ Radeon RX 590 - Micro Center
Thanks for the info, I'm not much into hard gaming myself I was really using a good GPU for After Effects/Premiere and for Twinmotion. The RTX question is interesting as Twinmotion may soon be updated with real time ray tracing but as it's more a hobby, this doesn't matter to me at the moment. What's more important for my field of work/hobbies is the CPU/RAM for renders and such.

For the GPU, I don't see a Strix version of the rx 580 ? Only for the rx590 ? I'm really looking for a silent GPU as my current GPU is plaguing me with noise :lolbron:. Anyway, I'll see in the summer if there are some sells and I will be on the lookout for those 3 gpus. Also, @AStrangeName told about new CPUs soon so maybe some of the current Ryzen will drop in price or maybe some of the new ones will have a better price/performance ratio so I'll get one of those, we'll see.

Anyway, thanks for the input, I'll try to keep up with the news.

saturn7

Politics is an EXCHANGE!!!
Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman
Thanks for the info, I'm not much into hard gaming myself I was really using a good GPU for After Effects/Premiere and for Twinmotion. The RTX question is interesting as Twinmotion may soon be updated with real time ray tracing but as it's more a hobby, this doesn't matter to me at the moment. What's more important for my field of work/hobbies is the CPU/RAM for renders and such.

For the GPU, I don't see a Strix version of the rx 580 ? Only for the rx590 ? I'm really looking for a silent GPU as my current GPU is plaguing me with noise :lolbron:. Anyway, I'll see in the summer if there are some sells and I will be on the lookout for those 3 gpus. Also, @AStrangeName told about new CPUs soon so maybe some of the current Ryzen will drop in price or maybe some of the new ones will have a better price/performance ratio so I'll get one of those, we'll see.

If you can hold off until December you can get real good deals on Black Friday. The last two years I've gotten most of my stuff from Microcenter on Black Friday. They probably have the best CPU Mobo combo deals.

For under $300 you can get the 1660TI ( if you don't need ray tracing) and that performs equal to or better than the 1070.

$270
MSI Ventus XS GeForce GTX 1660 Ti - Micro Center

$270
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Overclocked 6GB - Micro Center

The price could drop even more by Black Friday or you could buy a used 1070.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston

If silence is important, and you don’t mind a little diy project, look into water cooling your gpu. I’ve had a ton of GPUs in my life and none of them were quiet when under load. I got my shyt water cooled now, and it’s so much more quiet. It’ll take time to install and plan out, but it’s actually a fun experience when you see the finished product.

You can get some aftermarket AIO liquid cooling gpu setups as well, for an easier install, but less flexibility.