The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
how far back can you go on a cpu and it still be decent? my mom was talking about buying a desktop earlier and i feel that i can just build her one instead. She doesn't need any high tech graphics or gonna be gaming or video editing or nothing. gonna be extremely basic with just enough to get her to do basic stuff on there for when she starts a new job. Was looking at the Intel either I5 or I7 at most. Don't know about the I3 tho, Definitely not an I9.

The Guru

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is what I've gotten so far. Any way to make this thing cheaper?

System Builder - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB STRIX, H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker

-i3 8100 will do her fine.
-won't need a graphics card if she's not gaming/editing.
-No need for a 100 dollar cpu cooler. You could get a lhyper 212 evo or titan dragonfly 4 just to keep it more cool and quiet but not absolutely needed.
-I would go for a small ssd, will make it much snappier in day to day use. Maybe a 250 WD blue ssd paired with a 2tb WD Blue HD for mass storage. Even a 120gb wd green ssd for just windows and basic programs would make a big difference.
-8gb ram will be enough for her needs, unless you looking to future proof for quite a few years.

Daps

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
That's way overkill for what you said she needs. You can use a Ryzen 200GE with a cheap motherboard, the stock fan, 8GB of RAM, a smaller hard drive unless she needs 4TB, no graphics card, and a cheaper case and power supply.

This what I got now. Moms PC - Mannyrs13's Saved Part List - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core, H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker

She has an ipad but said you can't really function on a tablet like a pc which is true. Plus she doesn't want a mac since most businesses like the banking industry she's in are all Windows.

So i was browsing on there last night and i saw some $10,000 graphics card. I was like, thats gotta be some @Ciggavelli levels of buying. :merchant: Let me see if i find it again.

PNY - Quadro GV100 32 GB Video Card (VCQGV100-PB) - PCPartPicker

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
This what I got now. Moms PC - Mannyrs13's Saved Part List - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core, H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker

She has an ipad but said you can't really function on a tablet like a pc which is true. Plus she doesn't want a mac since most businesses like the banking industry she's in are all Windows.

So i was browsing on there last night and i saw some $10,000 graphics card. I was like, thats gotta be some @Ciggavelli levels of buying. :merchant: Let me see if i find it again.

Those Quadro cards are for workstations for professionals. The Titan RTX basically does the same shyt and costs a fraction of the price

Daps

The 2200G is fine but I would go with the 200GE to save even more money, a cheaper motherboard unless you need built-in wifi, and a SSD instead of a hard drive

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
The 2200G is fine but I would go with the 200GE to save even more money, a cheaper motherboard unless you need built-in wifi, and a SSD instead of a hard drive
I was looking at SSD but they had some weird looking ones that looked like memory sticks. Maybe it's because of the case? My SSD is a square black thin piece. There were some different looking ones.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
After playing the first few chapters of Metro Exodus, I have a few comments:
  • the game is epic as fukk :whew:
  • Ray-tracing is a goddamn game changer. shyt looks so, so good in Metro Exodus. It really does change the playing field. If other games implement ray-tracing like Metro Exodus, we have truly entered a new generation of graphics. Ray-tracing may not be the useless gimmick I thought it was going to be :ohhh:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I was looking at SSD but they had some weird looking ones that looked like memory sticks. Maybe it's because of the case? My SSD is a square black thin piece. There were some different looking ones.
Those weird ones are Nvme SSDs

NVMe SSD: Amazon.com

They are much faster than normal ssds, but you gotta have the right mobo in order to use them.

N*E*R*D

In Search Of...
Daps
Having major issues playing Resident Evil 2 on Steam. My game gets stuck...GPU and CPU usage goes down to 0% then after a few seconds it comes back. This is pretty shytty especially when tyrant is chasing your ass. I'm almost tempted to double dip on ps4 pro. I'm pretty sure it doesn't look as good but the performance might be better than what I'm getting.

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
Built a new system over the weekend. Replacing a system I built like 7 years ago outside of the video card being updated and hard drive addition. Didn't replace my GTX 970 (4GB) card in the process. Kept it for this build. Kept my previous SDD 2.5 drives and standard 7500 rpm 1TB seagate harddrive.

I wasn't trying to spend a 1000 and kept it under 800 not including shipping.

MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC LGA1151 (Intel 8th and 9th Gen) M.2 USB 3.1 Gen 2 DDR4 HDMI DP Wi-Fi SLI CFX ATX Z390 Gaming Motherboard

Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc

NZXT H500 – Compact ATX Mid-Tower Case – Tempered Glass Panel – All-Steel Construction – Enhanced Cable Management System – Water-Cooling Ready - Black\Red

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)

EVGA Supernova 750 G3, 80 Plus Gold 750W, Fully Modular, Eco Mode with New HDB Fan, 10 Year Warranty, Includes Power ON Self Tester, Compact 150mm Size, Power Supply 220-G3-0750-X1

Intel Core i5-8400 Desktop Processor 6 Cores up to 4.0 GHz LGA 1151 300 Series 65W

Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6E500BW)

Sold by: BCCK

BUT

I fukkED UP! I accidentally bent the socket pins badly when putting in the CPU:snoop::snoop::snoop::snoop: It's not like the old days when the pins were on the CPU itself that I'm used and it seems more forgiving now with contact points on the CPU that compress the pins, but I was trying to reseat the fan for better cable management for the CPU fan cord and reapplied thermal paste and took the CPU out to do so. When I went to put it back, I accident put in the wrong way before fastening it and then put it back the right way and I guess some pins were bent before I secured it and it got all fukked up. Wouldn't even POST:damn:

Got to wait for Amazon to ship my replacement board and hope they take my return :pachaha:So I have to wait until Tuesday to power this thing up

LurkerLost1

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NC
Yo, @MMA Mo amd @LurkerLost1 have you played Metro Exodus yet? shyt works very well with our 2080ti cards. The game truly has some crazy graphics

Oh, yeah, and @daze23 Metro Exodus has card support on steam, which surprised me a lot. Are you gonna get Exodus on the Epic Store?

Gotta wait a year so I can avoid using epic launcher, getting it in on Anthem and Division 2 so it should hold me over. Definitely interested after seeing some more video on twitch.

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
Can y'all link me to some of the cheapest pc rigs that can efficiently create DJ Akademiks style YouTube videos? I won't be gaming, just creating social media content.
If you're doing creative stuff, then spend most of your money on the CPU and get a high end one since it will be CPU intensive if you're doing video editing and the like. Also get a good amount of RAM and decent motherboard. Everything else can be fairly budget price since the only other usually high priced parts of a PC are the GPU which unless you're doing 3D modeling isn't a big need and then a 500W or higher power supply should be sufficient.