The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

MMA

Superstar
Daps
Realized i had been slipping and was using the wrong refresh rate on my monitors. :snoop:
Was randomly browsing reddit and saw someone mention about the refresh rate for the monitor. I looked at mine and it said 50, i checked my monitor specs thru dell and it said 144. :francis:
Hopefully this makes things run much more smoother. :blessed:
i believe most folks buy pc parts and do not update drivers or change settings
everyone should go to ssd/nvme/drive and download their software to get the best performance
increase their ram stick speed in bios
go to display settings and set to highest resolution and refresh rate
check nvidia and amd radeon settings for freesync and gsync
download keyboard and mouse drivers change settings
update bios every few months for cpu

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
buy a i7 8700k or a i7 8086k.. you don't need the i9 at all.
I know I don't but my thinking is if I'm gonna spend almost $400 on a processor an extra $180 or so isn't much more. It's also why I got the 2080 ti over the 2080. If I'm already spending $800 another $300 isn't that much more. I'll admit the mobo was a dumb purchase though nobody needs a $550 mobo.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
everyone should go to ssd/nvme/drive and download their software to get the best performance
Your average Joe does none of these things. I appreciate it, keeps me paid:mjpls:

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
A question about HTPC builds. It seems like you can either build and HTPC *or* you can build a gaming rig. What I'm trying to do is have a gaming rig (I guess) with just one SSD drive to run Windows, and a server to hold my hard drives (I currently have three) Is that possible? Seems like it would be. Maybe my vocabulary is all wrong...

Also, what do you brehs think about this? Opinions? Recommendations?
The Best $750 Home Theater PC Build - January 2019 | The Tech Buyer's Guru

Finally, if I'm using regular hard drives to hold media (3 TB for games and two 2 GB for movies and TV shows, respectfully), do they need to be replaced w/SSDs if I'm going to build a server, or does it really matter? I assume the games HD would have to be, but I'm not sure about the other two.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA

I got the drivers and the resolution set at 2560x1440 or whatever the recommended was. Just needed the refresh rate. I got the asus GPU tweak or something that has the gsync settings on it. I gotta check my ram speed in bios but I should be good. Speaking of memory, I got 2 8gb in there. Had thought of upgrading to more but I think 16gb is enough.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I got the drivers and the resolution set at 2560x1440 or whatever the recommended was. Just needed the refresh rate. I got the asus GPU tweak or something that has the gsync settings on it. I gotta check my ram speed in bios but I should be good. Speaking of memory, I got 2 8gb in there. Had thought of upgrading to more but I think 16gb is enough.
16gb is fine. Unless you’re doing video editing or something intensive like that, you don’t need more.

That being said, I had 32gb in my old build and threw 64gb in the machine I’m currently building. It’s overkill and not needed, but I’m making an overkill rig and wanted all the dimms filled with rgb ram sticks. :yeshrug:

But for real, you don’t need more than 16gb. It’s pretty much only going to add onto the aesthetic value, nothing more

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I'm wondering how smoothly this transfer is gonna go. I gotta move Windows 8.1 with Media Center off the 3570K PC to the 6700K PC that currently has Windows 10 on it and then move that Windows 10 to the 9900K PC. Prolly gonna have to call Microsoft 2-3 times.
16gb is fine. Unless you’re doing video editing or something intensive like that, you don’t need more.

That being said, I had 32gb in my old build and threw 64gb in the machine I’m currently building. It’s overkill and not needed, but I’m making an overkill rig and wanted all the dimms filled with rgb ram sticks. :yeshrug:

But for real, you don’t need more than 16gb. It’s pretty much only going to add onto the aesthetic value, nothing more
The Google Chrome with a few tabs open on my 3570K old build uses 8-9GBs of RAM on it's own. I've never needed more than 16GBs of RAM but I'm still considering going to 32GBs because why not?

LurkerLost1

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NC
Sell it on where eBay? Facebook? I don't really trust eBay enough to sell anything I'm not trying to dump for next to nothing on there. Craigslist died off round here. There's nothing but cheap old junk people should be throwing out on it now.

Every year some new processor and motherboard / chipset gets released and now that AMD is getting competitive again it's gonna get worse. Once AMD gets competitive in the graphics card lane that will get worse too. Intel is also planning to enter the arena by 2020 so there's gonna be 3 players trying to one up each other there.

Chasing flagship products is rough. Even selling your old products it still burns a lot of money keeping up with the latest and greatest.

I flip mine to coworkers and friends that have entry level systems. Really helps with justifying the cost of new parts when you have good parts that you know will sell for midrange buyers.

MMA

Superstar
Daps
Your average Joe does none of these things. I appreciate it, keeps me paid:mjpls:
Get your money :salute:

I know I don't but my thinking is if I'm gonna spend almost $400 on a processor an extra $180 or so isn't much more. It's also why I got the 2080 ti over the 2080. If I'm already spending $800 another $300 isn't that much more. I'll admit the mobo was a dumb purchase though nobody needs a $550 mobo.
Breh spent 1100 between his mother and cpu to game :gucci:

i7 8700k and z370 would be half of that. :gucci:

A question about HTPC builds. It seems like you can either build and HTPC *or* you can build a gaming rig. What I'm trying to do is have a gaming rig (I guess) with just one SSD drive to run Windows, and a server to hold my hard drives (I currently have three) Is that possible? Seems like it would be. Maybe my vocabulary is all wrong...

Also, what do you brehs think about this? Opinions? Recommendations?
The Best $750 Home Theater PC Build - January 2019 | The Tech Buyer's Guru

Finally, if I'm using regular hard drives to hold media (3 TB for games and two 2 GB for movies and TV shows, respectfully), do they need to be replaced w/SSDs if I'm going to build a server, or does it really matter? I assume the games HD would have to be, but I'm not sure about the other two.
you can have it all in one, my htpc is used both for my tv gaming and movies/etc

just install plex onto windows

Blames amd for nvidia prices. AMD cards could be 75% of Nvidia card price, people will still buy Nvidia because of history/brand image. :mjlol:

Ram prices have went down 20% - not much of a difference when 2 years ago ddr4 was 90 dollars for 16gb stick.

Crypto mining and nvidia rtx is the only bad thing that has happened in 2018 that was bad for gamers and mining died pretty early 2018 unlike 2017.

SSD are half the price from last year. We've seen a wider range of freesync monitors and freesync TV's too this year. We finally got 4K high refresh monitors with more to come in 2019. Powersupplies have gone down in value.

Cases have been trash this year. :russell:

We are finally at a point where intel i7 with igpu makes high end cpu not necessary for most video editors.
We are at a point where more than 4-6 cores with high clock speeds doesn't cost over 700 dollars.
We no longer need the most expensive and brand new card to handle so many computation task like before. Someone can use a 1070 for machine learning if they liked. :heh:

This has been one of the best years of building pc because there is real competition at every level beside high end gpu which 99% of gamers do not use or can afford. Vega and Polaris is enough for the majority who want AMD graphics.
If we were still on bulldozer, AMD would be nonexistence and intel would be releasing a .1 clock speed higher 4 core cpu i7 9700k right now. Nvidia would of stretched out 10 series for another year or 2 if Crypto mining didn't die out so quickly.:mjlol:
The only reason they truly released RTX is to keep a foot in the game with xbox 2 and ps5 with developers (who really made in this case) because they will now be best to optimize and build their games around AMD gaming cpu and gpu's which they (consoles) will be using. AMD clearly doesn't have has much invested from a decade like nvidia with raytracing. We are already seeing the failing attempts at raytracing because developers were clearly not ready.

The only bad this year has a gamer/pc builder is someone like him. Who clearly can't admit Intel and Nvidia are fukking over the average gamer. Everything else has went down in prices and gives gamers more bang for their buck.

Only worth it if you are actually going multiple workloads like VM in the background while you game on windows etc
Make sure you have the refresh rate set to 144 or 165 too.

What ram do you have Corsair now has dummy ram sticks for 40 dollars (RGB PRO)
VENGEANCE RGB PRO Light Enhancement Kit — Black

Last edited:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Get your money :salute:

Breh spent 1100 between his mother and cpu to game :gucci:

i7 8700k and z370 would be half of that. :gucci:

you can have it all in one, my htpc is used both for my tv gaming and movies/etc

just install plex onto windows

Blames amd for nvidia prices. AMD cards could be 75% of Nvidia card price, people will still buy Nvidia because of history/brand image. :mjlol:

Ram prices have went down 20% - not much of a difference when 2 years ago ddr4 was 90 dollars for 16gb stick.

Crypto mining and nvidia rtx is the only bad thing that has happened in 2018 that was bad for gamers and mining died pretty early 2018 unlike 2017.

SSD are half the price from last year. We've seen a wider range of freesync monitors and freesync TV's too this year. We finally got 4K high refresh monitors with more to come in 2019. Powersupplies have gone down in value.

We are finally at a point where intel i7 with igpu makes high end cpu not necessary for most video editors.
We are at a point where more than 4-6 cores with high clock speeds doesn't cost over 700 dollars.
We no longer need the most expensive and brand new card to handle so many computation task like before. Someone can use a 1070 for machine learning if they liked. :heh:

This has been one of the best years of building pc because there is real competition at every level beside high end gpu which 99% of gamers do not use or can afford. Vega and Polaris is enough for the majority who want AMD graphics.
If we were still on bulldozer, AMD would be nonexistence and intel would be releasing a .1 clock speed higher 4 core cpu i7 9700k right now. Nvidia would of stretched out 10 series for another year or 2 if Crypto mining didn't die out so quickly.:mjlol:
The only reason they truly released RTX is to keep a foot in the game with xbox 2 and ps5 with developers (who really made in this case) because they will now be best to optimize and build their games around gaming cpu and gpu's which they (consoles) will be using. AMD clearly doesn't have has much invested from a decade like nvidia with raytracing. We are already seeing the failing attempts at raytracing because developers were clearly not ready.

The only bad this year has a gamer/pc builder is someone like him. Who clearly can't admit Intel and Nvidia are fukking over the average gamer. Everything else has went down in prices and gives gamers more bang for their buck.

Only worth it if you are actually going multiple workloads like VM in the background while you game on windows etc
Make sure you have the refresh rate set to 144 or 165 too.

What ram do you have Corsair now has dummy ram sticks for 40 dollars (RGB PRO)
VENGEANCE RGB PRO Light Enhancement Kit — Black
Preach :ehh:

I got eight 8gb sticks of g.skill tridentZ 3200. I got 2 sets of these. shyt looks nice :ohlawd:

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR - Newegg.com

Over $600 for ram just to have all my slots filled with RGB :russ:
:francis: :snoop:

If g.skill made dummy rgb ram, I might have picked 4 sticks of those up instead.

But whatever, it’s an overkill system. I’m going all out :yeshrug:

MMA

Superstar
Daps
Preach :ehh:

I got eight 8gb sticks of g.skill tridentZ 3200. I got 2 sets of these. shyt looks nice :ohlawd:

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR - Newegg.com

Over $600 for ram just to have all my slots filled with RGB :russ:
:francis: :snoop:

If g.skill made dummy rgb ram, I might have picked 4 sticks of those up instead.

But whatever, it’s an overkill system. I’m going all out :yeshrug:
Nice enjoy breh, you deserve it. :wow: That Asus motherboard is my favorite part, too bad I have no reason to spend over 600 + 1000 plus for a i9.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Nice enjoy breh, you deserve it. :wow: That Asus motherboard is my favorite part, too bad I have no reason to spend over 600 + 1000 plus for a i9.
Thanks breh :cheers:

I love that mobo. I was fukking around looking at other expensive mobos and I still like mine the best. It has everything I’d ever want and is so fukking rgb’d out :ohlawd:

AStrangeName

Member of Snitch Syndication
Daps

The only reason they truly released RTX is to keep a foot in the game with xbox 2 and ps5 with developers (who really made in this case) because they will now be best to optimize and build their games around AMD gaming cpu and gpu's which they (consoles) will be using. AMD clearly doesn't have has much invested from a decade like nvidia with raytracing. We are already seeing the failing attempts at raytracing because developers were clearly not ready.

Doesn't AMD have their own raytracing called Radeon Rays it used to be called FireRays