The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

I couldn't dream of putting 2 graphics cards in a PC that cost $1400 each just to play video games at a high framerate. Just those two graphics cards cost more than any PC I'd ever be willing to build. Hell one of those graphics cards probably cost more than any full build I've ever done.

That PC they built is $5000 easy. Sad part is next year it'll no longer be top of the line because better parts will be released. I mean you build a PC like that and what does it get you 6-9 months of bragging rights then back into the pile with you or you're blowing more money trying to keep up with the new stuff.

I learned my lesson a few years back about buying top end tech products back when I was buying flagship TVs every year for like 3 years in a row. You pay a hell of a lot to get flagship products and the payoff just isn't there. They're almost always a poor value for what you pay.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston

I couldn't dream of putting 2 graphics cards in a PC that cost $1400 each just to play video games at a high framerate. Just those two graphics cards cost more than any PC I'd ever be willing to build. Hell one of those graphics cards probably cost more than any full build I've ever done.

That PC they built is $5000 easy. Sad part is next year it'll no longer be top of the line because better parts will be released. I mean you build a PC like that and what does it get you 6-9 months of bragging rights then back into the pile with you or you're blowing more money trying to keep up with the new stuff.

I learned my lesson a few years back about buying top end tech products back when I was buying flagship TVs every year for like 3 years in a row. You pay a hell of a lot to get flagship products and the payoff just isn't there. They're almost always a poor value for what you pay.

:camby:

You sell your old shyt and buy new shyt. I’m one of those people with $2500 in graphics cards (2080ti fe sli).

Also, new flagship cards don’t come out every 6 months. The wait between the 1080ti and the 2080ti was measured in years.

MMA

Superstar
Daps

But why does it matter? You, we have all so many options.
Literally the only true reason to buy dual 2080ti's is for 4K high refresh gaming which will cost you 1600-2000 dollars extra on the monitor.
This is for the gamer that wants the best of the best. You could easily buy a new 1070/1080 with a 1440p high refresh monitor and spend a quarter of someone like myself who wants the best possible gaming experience. Yes the prices are bullshyt but don't treat it like there aren't options. 99% of gamers do not game at 4K and especially with these very expensive monitors.

When I bought my 2080ti's I expected in the next 2 years I'll lose 40-50% of it's value. Now if I game on average 14-20 hours per week, my average cost per hour using these cards will cost roughly 61 cents per hour. My cost of 61 cents per hour is nothing compared to many other activities that cost far more to continuously keep doing. This card is for idiots like myself who have too much money to blow and enjoy knowing that I have one of the best options to game at the highest rate. You have many more options to buy graphic cards that are cheaper and can handle 99% of the use cases that you need for PC gaming or computational workflow.

The only people Nvidia has trued over is their true core audience. The people who have been waiting for 2 years to buy the next generation high end ti and now can't afford to blow 1.2-1.5K on a graphic card. Don't worry, they are going to feel that with people simply not being able to purchase graphic cards and maybe moving to AMD graphic card in the mid to low range because their prices are more affordable.

shyt, most gamers do not need anything more than a rx 570/580 or 1060 3gb with the vast majority owning 1080/60hz and 1080/144hz monitors. I don't see the point in why people are angry that they have to pay more for something that is extremely limited to a use-case. When there isn't other options but paying higher prices like we see in other markets like medicine manipulation where there aren't other alternatives to getting the product.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
:camby:

You sell your old shyt and buy new shyt. I’m one of those people with $2500 in graphics cards (2080ti fe sli).

Also, new flagship cards don’t come out every 6 months. The wait between the 1080ti and the 2080ti was measured in years.
Sell it on where eBay? Facebook? I don't really trust eBay enough to sell anything I'm not trying to dump for next to nothing on there. Craigslist died off round here. There's nothing but cheap old junk people should be throwing out on it now.

Every year some new processor and motherboard / chipset gets released and now that AMD is getting competitive again it's gonna get worse. Once AMD gets competitive in the graphics card lane that will get worse too. Intel is also planning to enter the arena by 2020 so there's gonna be 3 players trying to one up each other there.

Chasing flagship products is rough. Even selling your old products it still burns a lot of money keeping up with the latest and greatest.

MMA

Superstar
Daps
Sell it on where eBay? Facebook? I don't really trust eBay enough to sell anything I'm not trying to dump for next to nothing on there. Craigslist died off round here. There's nothing but cheap old junk people should be throwing out on it now.

Every year some new processor and motherboard / chipset gets released and now that AMD is getting competitive again it's gonna get worse. Once AMD gets competitive in the graphics card lane that will get worse too. Intel is also planning to enter the arena by 2020 so there's gonna be 3 players trying to one up each other there.

Chasing flagship products is rough. Even selling your old products it still burns a lot of money keeping up with the latest and greatest.
Breh you honestly would need to have a weak 4 core and really old gpu to be struggling to play most games.
Pc gaming is expensive, and you said you have a skylake system that should cost over a grand minimum.

N*E*R*D

In Search Of...
Daps
They key is being satisfied with what you've spent your money on. 4k pc gaming is a pipe dream...you can do it but it's not as dope or cost efficient as 1440p/165hz pc gaming. As long as I can stay within that 1440p 144/165hz range I'm good. I'm not selling my 1080TI anytime soon that's going to be wifey for a long time. :blessed:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
fukk it I decided to take Ciggavelli's advice and live a little. I'm still not doing a 2 GPU build but a 1 GPU nice one. A 2080 ti paired with a Gigabyte Z390 Xtreme and a 9900K and yeah the board and processor are overkill but I can afford it.

It's gonna be hard as hell to sell my old build. It very well might slide into my bedroom and just be my new HTPC there. I got a partial server build I tried to do years ago and my current Ivy Lake HTPC build mini-Itx I might sell instead.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
fukk it I decided to take Ciggavelli's advice and live a little. I'm still not doing a 2 GPU build but a 1 GPU nice one. A 2080 ti paired with a Gigabyte Z390 Xtreme and a 9900K and yeah the board and processor are overkill but I can afford it.

It's gonna be hard as hell to sell my old build. It very well might slide into my bedroom and just be my new HTPC there. I got a partial server build I tried to do years ago and my current Ivy Lake HTPC build mini-Itx I might sell instead.
I know you said you don’t use eBay, but I’ve sold 4 high end gpus and 2 monitors recently for much more money than I thought. Somebody even bought a Titan X Maxwell off me for $350. That shyt is old as hell. My local pc store offered me $50 :dead:

I know ebay is buyer focused, but you can refuse to sell to somebody with bad ratings.

I’m a fan of eBay. :manny:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Man fukk Noctua. Stupid ass screw has one thread but then the second one won't thread at all.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Realized i had been slipping and was using the wrong refresh rate on my monitors. :snoop:
Was randomly browsing reddit and saw someone mention about the refresh rate for the monitor. I looked at mine and it said 50, i checked my monitor specs thru dell and it said 144. :francis:
Hopefully this makes things run much more smoother. :blessed:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
You really have to press down to get both screws to thread. I thought I was gonna bend the heat sync.

Now my issue is I have a bad GPU more than likely. Shows artifacts in the BIOS before the Windows screen and Windows stops the device. I’ll have to RMA it cause it’s not like you can walk in a store and buy another right now.

MMA

Superstar
Daps

buy a i7 8700k or a i7 8086k.. you don't need the i9 at all.