The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

MMA

Superstar
Daps
I wanna retire my Ivy Bridge mITX build and replace it with something else. Damn thing is starting to chug. I want to run Windows 8.1 Media Center on whatever I replace it with. Come to find out you can't run Windows 8.1 on jack shyt these days. I guess I can re-purpose my Skylake build to replace that and build a Coffee Lake to replace the Skylake. Seems kinda sad that I'll be stuck at Skylake forever unless I wanna give up Windows Media Center.
I'm confused what is the skylake purpose - workstation?
Just get a ryzen apu system upgrade the cpu when they come out with the higher core apu in the future if you plan on using it for light tv gaming or something. Why not use plex
-------------------------------------------------------------

I need to see more itx cases in 2018. Especially involving some form of all around glass.
Also need to make a promise to myself to give up SLI - in scenarios where it's suppose to work. I'm watching my display stutter far too much.
Acer is going to release their Nitro XV273K freesync 4K 144hz monitor (basically useless) for 900 dollars and I believe the gsync model for it is 400 more. Not hearing the best thing from 1 reviews but it's still a lot more affordable than the pg27uq and x27

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
Just get a ryzen apu system upgrade the cpu when they come out with the higher core apu in the future if you plan on using it for light tv gaming or something. Why not use plex
That's what I was about to ask. WMC is haute garbage. Plex for the win

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
-------------------------------------------------------------

I need to see more itx cases in 2018. Especially involving some form of all around glass.
Also need to make a promise to myself to give up SLI - in scenarios where it's suppose to work. I'm watching my display stutter far too much.
Acer is going to release their Nitro XV273K freesync 4K 144hz monitor (basically useless) for 900 dollars and I believe the gsync model for it is 400 more. Not hearing the best thing from 1 reviews but it's still a lot more affordable than the pg27uq and x27
I have a HD HomeRun Prime with a cable card in it from my cable provider and it lets me watch and record my cable channels on my HTPC. I'm stubborn. I don't wanna let go of Windows 8.1 Media Center because it's the only way on a PC to DVR movies off a premium channel the cable provider placed DRM on.

Microsoft paid the exorbitant fees required for the setup to record DRM cable channels. SiliconDust has software that will let you watch DRM premium channels live but not record them. I hardly ever watch Live TV I record stuff. I know I can stream from my premiums off their apps but keeping the movies long term you'd have to record them.

My Skylake is my gaming PC and my Ivy Bridge was an old gaming PC that got repurposed as a HTPC. The bad part is when I do get rid of that Ivy Bridge it takes all it's recordings with it to the grave as Windows Media Center PlayReady won't let you move the DRM recordings off the original PC and still be able to watch them.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I decided to open my mITX up and put some extra RAM and a larger hard drive I had in there and I forgot how much I hate mITX builds. Damn thing is packed like a clown car. I didn't even change the CMOS battery because I'd have to take the whole thing apart including taking the Mobo out and taking the CPU cooler off to access it.

I don't think I'll ever do another mITX build again. They look cute but they're too much of a hassle to deal with.

Tunez

Lloyd Banks Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside, 2gz Up
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2070-Max-Q.jpg

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Build update:

I got everything installed, except for the rigid tubing. :blessed:

Error number 2 though: my mobo is Eatx, which technically doesn’t fit my case. I saw another build with my mobo in the conqueror case before I bought it, so I knew it was possible to use. What I didn’t know though was that the psu cables don’t fit the openings with the mobo mounted. I had to remove the mobo, plug in all of the cables, put them through the case openings and then mount the mobo :francis:

I may start bending tubes tomorrow or the next day (gotta deal with the family for Christmas). :lupe:

MMA

Superstar
Daps

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Just look up compression fitting watercooling.
Thanks, but I've tried searching that and everything similar, and I can't find a page or video that explains how to fit the tubing into the fitting. It's crazy. What do I need to do?

Edit: Figured it out. I found a random comment on steam. I gotta unscrew the top, put the o-ring on the tube with the top on next, and then put the tubing into the fitting and press in.

Why nobody on the internet has a tutorial on how to do this. I dunno :francis:

Last edited:

LurkerLost1

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NC
Thanks, but I've tried searching that and everything similar, and I can't find a page or video that explains how to fit the tubing into the fitting. It's crazy. What do I need to do?

Edit: Figured it out. I found a random comment on steam. I gotta unscrew the top, put the o-ring on the tube with the top on next, and then put the tubing into the fitting and press in.

Why nobody on the internet has a tutorial on how to do this. I dunno :francis"

Looks like these need the oring wet first then make sure you chamfered the tubing a bit to smooth out the rough edges. If you are unable to push it in try a twisting motion to get it past the oring and seated. Check this video around 33 mins for when he installs his tubing into the fitting.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Looks like these need the oring wet first then make sure you chamfered the tubing a bit to smooth out the rough edges. If you are unable to push it in try a twisting motion to get it past the oring and seated. Check this video around 33 mins for when he installs his tubing into the fitting.

Thanks, breh :cheers: