The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
Anyone run an NVMe SSD?

I just saw an ad on Amazon, I didn't know this kind of thing was catching on.

I prefer regular SSD's, while NVME's are faster, it honestly isn't that necessary. Buy and SSD for the Main OS and a HDD for the space. Its definitely not "catching on" but at $80 for 250GB, I'd say go ahead. Though if you're on a budget a WD ssd for $50 at the same gb, is a delicious value.

GreenGrass

All Star
Daps
whats a good GPU and CPU for a newcomer? i want to build a computer ASAP so i can do some shyt with my life.

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
whats a good GPU and CPU for a newcomer? i want to build a computer ASAP so i can do some shyt with my life.

Ryzen 5 2600
GTX 1050 ti...

I figured you're trying to also run a pc that can run games and do some processing/video editing. The Ryzen has you covered there. The GPU is a 4gb but at $170, its a steal, you could always upgrade later to a 6 or 8 gb.

AStrangeName

Member of Snitch Syndication
Daps
Ryzen 5 2600
GTX 1050 ti...

I figured you're trying to also run a pc that can run games and do some processing/video editing. The Ryzen has you covered there. The GPU is a 4gb but at $170, its a steal, you could always upgrade later to a 6 or 8 gb.
He might as well spend a little more money to at least get a GTX 1060 6GB or RX 580 8GB and I would recommend the 580 8GB as you can find some for less than $200 right now.

GreenGrass

All Star
Daps
Ryzen 5 2600
GTX 1050 ti...

He might as well spend a little more money to at least get a GTX 1060 6GB or RX 580 8GB and I would recommend the 580 8GB as you can find some for less than $200 right now.

don't laugh, but i want to mine some altcoins while i am away from the desk for 15 hours or so per day.. so what GPU should i really get?

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
don't laugh, but i want to mine some altcoins while i am away from the desk for 15 hours or so per day.. so what GPU should i really get?
What are you mining? If this is on electricity your employer is using that's cool...if it's your own place chances are you are actually spending more on the energy costs.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
You built your own pc or it’s prebuilt?
Also what settings are you playing on?

I just bought a cheap ass hp 8300 on ebay for like 120 bucks, threw in a 250gb ssd, upgraded the ram to 16gb and bought a video card

now just been dowloading games, no longer need to sped 60,70,80 on games :blessed:

dowloaded fifa yesterday , i dont know anything about pc settings just that it plays smooth as hell :ehh:
upload_2018-12-1_10-3-43.png

far cry 5
d1.png

Last edited:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Brehs, what's a good device or app that will allow you to display your PC games on your HDTV? I really don't wanna go through the hassle of running a long-ass HDMI cable from my laptop to my TV.

GreenGrass

All Star
Daps
What are you mining? If this is on electricity your employer is using that's cool...if it's your own place chances are you are actually spending more on the energy costs.
really? a simple gpu miner setup on windows 10 does lot of damage? i was thinking of using one 1070 ti 8gb system. surely, that will not cost a lot for some random alt coin. it's not even a big deal, because i will be editing 4k videos and maybe do some light gaming. i want to try new applications for 3d printing, and whatever else. it is good for me to mess around with new stuff as opposed to surfing online boards and watching videos from holly wood or live sports. i can do that on the mobile cell phone.

Romell

Superstar
Daps
Anyone else having issues with the latest Nvidia driver? Im having game crashes and my display randomly getting pixelated or losing detection. I’ve rolled back but wanted to see if anyone else had issues.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Anyone else having issues with the latest Nvidia driver? Im having game crashes and my display randomly getting pixelated or losing detection. I’ve rolled back but wanted to see if anyone else had issues.

lots of people complaining about contrast settings with the latest driver

Nvidia also released a hot fix. I am running the hot fix driver on 3 different machines and am having no problems

GeForce Hotfix Driver Version 417.21 | NVIDIA

Nvidia needs to do a better job of letting people know about hot fix drivers since they just about always release them if a driver really fukks shyt up but they don't really have an official way of letting you know it exist...

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I had contrast issues with 417.01. problem is the 'dynamic range' is stuck on 'full', and changing it to 'limited' doesn't change anything. I need 'limited' for my HDTV

I rolled back, but I'll try the hotfix driver

edit: the hotfix fixed my issue. funny how they front like the issue only affects a small number of people on reddit, drop some bullshyt fix to try (change the dynamic range), but then the issue, that supposedly wasn't an issue, gets fixed by the hotfix :stopitslime:

edit2: I guess the above comment just came from a redditor, and not an Nvidia rep

Last edited: