The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

No Ma’am

Bang, Bang, Bang
Daps
Brehette's and Breh's, I'm lookin to cop a labtop soon when I find one for that catches my eye. Looking to use it a powerful all purpose machine, I was checking out Alienware 17 R5 but people said they're overpriced. I saw the Razer and it looks great and apparently performs well but it gets hot and too loud? Help a breh out with suggestions if you can :feedme:

2gunsup

Satsui No Hado
Daps
Reppin
Popozudas
Brehette's and Breh's, I'm lookin to cop a labtop soon when I find one for that catches my eye. Looking to use it a powerful all purpose machine, I was checking out Alienware 17 R5 but people said they're overpriced. I saw the Razer and it looks great and apparently performs well but it gets hot and too loud? Help a breh out with suggestions if you can :feedme:
I copped two of these last month.

Micro Center - Computers and Electronics

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
1050 not good. Look for a 1060 instead (though I image Turing based mobile GPU are coming out soon, so you may want to wait a few months).

Try to up your budget to $1K USD. I’d get something like this:

This @Wedosyang

Also be careful with those "U" processors. They are pretty fast for casual usage, but for gaming look for either 7th gen HQ/HK processors or 6 core 8th gen Intel laptops. MAYBE 8th gen U series CPU if it's for whatever reason paired with a 1060 or above. You want more than 4 threads at this point in the game in a laptop especially considering you lasted 6 years with your previous laptop.

MMA

Superstar
Daps
Going over my business expenses, what I've spent in hardware :gucci:

And i'm thinking about buying a skylake cpu because vctools is unstable with TR1 and TR2. 8700K and 7700K is doing a terrible job compared to unstable TR:scust:

People are saying you have to delid skylake to really perform is this true?

Last edited:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
My ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme mobo came, and I checked to see if my 3-slot nvlink would fit (like every other mobo I've ever had), and it doesn't. Now I gotta buy a 4-slot for $80 too. :beli:

$160 in bridges for these 2080 tis. The 3-slot will only work in my current build, and the 4-slot will only work in my future build :mjcry:

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
Well, from all the benchmarks it looks like you can only get 60fps at 4K on a 2080ti. So, it’s just your preference as to if you would rather have 4K detail or 144hz smoothness. I have a 4K g-sync, 60hz and a 1440p 144hz, and I like both. Not all games run the same at 1440p, 144hz and 4K, 60hz. That’s why I like having the option. I will say this though, everybody that watches games on my setup has been more impressed with 144hz compared to 4K. It’s definitely a more noticeable difference, especially at 32”.

If money is not an issue, the clear bet would be to buy the ASUS 4K, 144hz, g-sync. That way you can put it at 1440p, 144hz, 4K, 60hz and 4K, 144hz in the future. That monitor also costs $2K at 27”. You can get 32” 1440p, 165hz and 4K 60hz for like $800 each.

Me personally, I’m waiting for the 4K, 144hz to be released at 32”. After playing games at 32”, I don’t want to go back to a 27”
I have that Asus monitor, and was worried the 27" would be underwhelming. However, it been really comfortable to work and game on. I don't miss the extra size.

MMA

Superstar
Daps
My ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme mobo came, and I checked to see if my 3-slot nvlink would fit (like every other mobo I've ever had), and it doesn't. Now I gotta buy a 4-slot for $80 too. :beli:

$160 in bridges for these 2080 tis. The 3-slot will only work in my current build, and the 4-slot will only work in my future build :mjcry:
How doesn't it fit with stock cards? :ohhh:

Oh you are expecting to put it in slot 1 and 3?

Return the other one then

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
How doesn't it fit with stock cards? :ohhh:

Oh you are expecting to put it in slot 1 and 3?

Return the other one then
Yeah, I was going to put it in 1 and 2 (on all my other mobos 1 is 3 slots down from 2, but with this card 1 is 2 slots down form 2). So now I'm going to put the cards in 1 and 3, and I'm going to put my soundcard in slot 4

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I have a few questions:

1) What’s the best place to get custom wires and screws?

2) For draining water from my loop, do I just put a drain on the water container? Like, will my reservoir have an “exit” hole where I can put a drain and simply turn it to drain fluid?

3) is EK the best place to go for custom loop shyt?

4) How much more difficult is it to use rigid tubing? I know I need a heat gun, but I’m unsure how bending the tubing works. Maybe a dumb question, but how do you bend tubing at a specific measurement? I just don’t understand that, and nobody on YouTube actually shows the actual measurements, bending, and how installation works.

5) if I go rigid, can I make intricate designs, or is it just best to make it simple?

MMA

Superstar
Daps
I have a few questions:

1) What’s the best place to get custom wires and screws?

2) For draining water from my loop, do I just put a drain on the water container? Like, will my reservoir have an “exit” hole where I can put a drain and simply turn it to drain fluid?

3) is EK the best place to go for custom loop shyt?

4) How much more difficult is it to use rigid tubing? I know I need a heat gun, but I’m unsure how bending the tubing works. Maybe a dumb question, but how do you bend tubing at a specific measurement? I just don’t understand that, and nobody on YouTube actually shows the actual measurements, bending, and how installation works.

5) if I go rigid, can I make intricate designs, or is it just best to make it simple?

1) confused by the question - only site i can think of is moddiy but I don't think that's what you are asking for. For custom sleeving colors - cablemods

2) I can explain but a professional professional will explain better. I use a drain loop for all of my hardline pieces

3) EK has been the most reliable for me, which why I recommend. I suggest you look at the pump and reservoir reviews (for example some of alphacool goes bad). I also like alpha cool for their radiators, there is also thermaltake (owned 2 in the past - 1 was a kit, 1 was individual parts) but they used to make bad materials but idk about their quality of materials today. XSPC, HWlabs and more that I am forgetting or don't care

4-5) You have the resources, go hardline tubing just be very careful. You are going to have a spend around 2-4 hours watching videos, reading on hardline tubing because each video/guide will give you a piece advice the other will not. You can make crazy designs - declassified systems on youtube makes amazing systems with crazy bends.