The Orville - Star Trek Satire Comedy From Seth MacFarlane And Jon Favreau

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This show really doesn't get the respect it deserves for ultimately being smarter than the pilot episode made it out to be

I've rewatched the pilot a few times now. It's not even bad. I think it just got a bad reaction because people couldn't tell if it was supposed to be serious or a parody.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Show is crazy polished.
That’s what I’m saying

This is a REALLY good show. I know it’s a comedy, but it’s got some great stories. You can tell Seth is a Trekkie but just a comedian.

It has great storylines. I low key would smash that security officer too

I just found out that breh from The Wire and Walking Dead is Bortus' partner

Cutty-V7.jpg

fQ72BvqK_400x400.jpg

:ohhh:

:scust:
:scust:

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
And them killing off the majority of a civilization because they could only rescue less than half of them is not something that TNG would have ever done either.

I just realized something re-reading this post:
Star Trek TOS added a transporter to the Enterprise back in the 60's because the TV show didn't really have the budget to show shuttles landing every single episode. But having that technology at their disposal gives Star Trek a "magical" solution to almost any problem that they can run into. Of course Star Trek could save every one, they could just beam them all up and leave.

I think they were smart on The Orville when they decided that teleportation technology hasn't been invented yet. That prevents them from having an easy way out from all of their problems.

Last edited:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
That episode turned dark real quick. Went from a standard character spotlight episode about family issues into a home invasion horror movie.
When Phlox told The Doctor to put his hand in that boiling hot sauce pot while still keeping that cheerful tone was creepy as fukk.

And I guess the casting of Jessica Szohr makes sense now with the departure from last night.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Yeeeeeah didn’t see this episode turning dark like it did. But there was so much potency to it and the message was very on point. There’s always surprisingly a lot of drama and heart on this show. Didn’t expect her to leave. At all.
Turns out she signed on to play the female lead in this Netflix movie called The Last Summer that conflicted with the shooting schedule of the Orville and that is why she left the show. Plus there were rumors that she and Serth McFarlane were boning for a while during Season 1 and then it ended which made working together kinda awkward.
And at Comicon show writers David A. Goodman, Brannon Braga, and Jon Cassar were asked about Jessica Szohr coming on the show and whether or not Halston Sage (Alara) was leaving:

Cassar's face told a bit of a story when the question was posed.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
The "bone loss in space" thing in space reminded me of The Belters from "The Expanse," so while I was watching I actually did a quick Google search and found:
Gravity Hurts (So Good) | Science Mission Directorate

What's interesting is that some of the numbers in this article actually line up pretty well with what I thought was "technobabble" on the show.
The muscles used to fight gravity --like those in the calves and spine, which maintain posture-- can lose around 20 per cent of their mass if you don't use them. Muscle mass can vanish at a rate as high as 5% a week.

When they mentioned a "4 year" recovery time on the show it sounded like something pulled from thin air, but
Muscle, too, can be recouped. Most comes back "within a month or so, "although it might take longer to recover completely. "We normally say that it takes a day [of recovery on Earth] for each day that somebody's in space," says Schneider.

Bone recovery, though, has proven problematic. For a three to six month space flight, says Schneider, it might require two to three years to regain lost bone -- if it's going to come back, and some studies have suggested that it doesn't. "You really have to exercise a lot,” says Schneider. "You really have to work at it."

Something kind of dawned on me for the first time. Although this isn't nearly as "hard science" as The Expanse, The Orville actually seems to have "harder" science than any of the Star Trek shows I've seen. Star Trek would have just invented some alien space virus, or missing non-replacatable nutrient, or something like if they wanted an excuse to make a character go home. Of course, turning up the artificial gravity strength was the OBVIOUS solution to the problem, I'm not sure why it took half the episode to figure it out. But at least they did figure it out.

I also can't remember Star Trek ever doing an alien planet that required humans to wear a spacesuit to survive. Every planet on Star Trek seems to have an atmosphere exactly like Earth. I think they overdid the gravity strength when it immediately broke human bones, though. I would think it should probably be more like a human pilot in a fighter jet blacking out at 10g's. But the episode needed the threat of instant death, so...

Jacaveli The Don

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#NarcissistGang
Turns out she signed on to play the female lead in this Netflix movie called The Last Summer that conflicted with the shooting schedule of the Orville and that is why she left the show. Plus there were rumors that she and Serth McFarlane were boning for a while during Season 1 and then it ended which made working together kinda awkward.
And at Comicon show writers David A. Goodman, Brannon Braga, and Jon Cassar were asked about Jessica Szohr coming on the show and whether or not Halston Sage (Alara) was leaving:

Cassar's face told a bit of a story when the question was posed.

I just watched the ep and was thinking about why she was leaving, was it the character was written out or for the actress' personal reasons and your post summed it all up lol

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
The "bone loss in space" thing in space reminded me of The Belters from "The Expanse," so while I was watching I actually did a quick Google search and found:
Gravity Hurts (So Good) | Science Mission Directorate

What's interesting is that some of the numbers in this article actually line up pretty well with what I thought was "technobabble" on the show.

When they mentioned a "4 year" recovery time on the show it sounded like something pulled from thin air, but

Something kind of dawned on me for the first time. Although this isn't nearly as "hard science" as The Expanse, The Orville actually seems to have "harder" science than any of the Star Trek shows I've seen. Star Trek would have just invented some alien space virus, or missing non-replacatable nutrient, or something like if they wanted an excuse to make a character go home. Of course, turning up the artificial gravity strength was the OBVIOUS solution to the problem, I'm not sure why it took half the episode to figure it out. But at least they did figure it out.

I also can't remember Star Trek ever doing an alien planet that required humans to wear a spacesuit to survive. Every planet on Star Trek seems to have an atmosphere exactly like Earth. I think they overdid the gravity strength when it immediately broke human bones, though. I would think it should probably be more like a human pilot in a fighter jet blacking out at 10g's. But the episode needed the threat of instant death, so...
giphy.gif

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
didn't think we'd see repercussions from a previous season's episode so soon...episode felt very Voyager-esque especially after the reveal.