The Official "Westworld" Season 2 Thread

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I disagree with this. There is only ONE unreliable narrator which is Bernard, and it was easily shown as to why he's unreliable because his memory is fracture due to shooting himself in the head in season one. And because of his fractured memory is why we got the non-linear timeline, because the majority is coming from his perspective where he is living or revisiting parts of everything that happened. I see that is almost genius in how they did it because it wasn't forced jumps just to have it, but rather fractured perspectives from a fractured mind trying to piece the puzzles together. So everything slowly gets revealed as he slowly learns more as to what happened from the night of the massacre to present date.

And all the other side storylines are straight forward. So, I believe the writing is just fine.
What? Dolores is completely unreliable :mjlol: we don't even know if she perceives time normally at all. Thandie is shaky too - she MIGHT be straight, but she's limited by what her programmed background is even after piecing together things from her deaths.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What? Dolores is completely unreliable :mjlol: we don't even know if she perceives time normally at all. Thandie is shaky too - she MIGHT be straight, but she's limited by what her programmed background is even after piecing together things from her deaths.

What are you talking about completely unreliable? In season one, the majority of that season was through her perspective. This season it's through Bernard's. Delores in this season is very AWARE of what she is. So how is she so-called unreliable? Maeve as well, is aware of what she is, and has an actual conscious. That's why their side stories in this season are linear. The only non-linear storyline is Bernard's as of right now.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
What are you talking about completely unreliable? In season one, the majority of that season was through her perspective. This season it's through Bernard's. Delores in this season is very AWARE of what she is. So how is she so-called unreliable? Maeve as well, is aware of what she is, and has an actual conscious. That's why their side stories in this season are linear. The only non-linear storyline is Bernard's as of right now.
you're basing that on nothing and being wild subjective in how you're defining it all

One ep on bernard does not mean things are based on him. Dolores being sure of herself and confident doesn't detract from the fact that she doesn't view time linearly. Maeve being self-aware doesn't eliminate the fact that her memories prior to the events leading to that point are trustworthy.

My point is that introducing timeline bs right off the bat clips every character in the show. You'd LIKE to believe that all that ended in season one. But the writers clearly ain't letting that go. It'd definitely make viewing easier, but after repeating it like this viewers are forced into "fool me twice" mode unless they're content to ride the same roller coaster.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
you're basing that on nothing and being wild subjective in how you're defining it all

One ep on bernard does not mean things are based on him. Dolores being sure of herself and confident doesn't detract from the fact that she doesn't view time linearly. Maeve being self-aware doesn't eliminate the fact that her memories prior to the events leading to that point are trustworthy.

My point is that introducing timeline bs right off the bat clips every character in the show. You'd LIKE to believe that all that ended in season one. But the writers clearly ain't letting that go. It'd definitely make viewing easier, but after repeating it like this viewers are forced into "fool me twice" mode unless they're content to ride the same roller coaster.

I am only basing off from everything that happened in season 1 and this 1st episode of season 2. That's not at all subjective. You the one that stated multiple unreliable narrators and that is untrue. The only perspective in which there's a nonlinear timeline in season 2 is Bernard's and that is only because his memories are fractured therefore HIM being a non reliable narrator. The actions in this episode with Delores from her perspective been LINEAR, it is everything shortly after the massacre. The actions of Maeve's perspective been LINEAR. Again, everything that shortly happened after the massacre. There's no jumping of timelines between EITHER of them in this episode. Only Bernard's.

I think you are confusing who is sentient versus who is fully conscious. Or confused or assumed everything is jumping all over the place, but if you watch it again. It is ONLY Bernard's storyline that's been nonlinear. Everything else is based on right after the massacre.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I am only basing off from everything that happened in season 1 and this 1st episode of season 2. That's not at all subjective. You the one that stated multiple unreliable narrators and that is untrue. The only perspective in which there's a nonlinear timeline in season 2 is Bernard's and that is only because his memories are fractured therefore HIM being a non reliable narrator. The actions in this episode with Delores from her perspective been LINEAR, it is everything shortly after the massacre. The actions of Maeve's perspective been LINEAR. Again, everything that shortly happened after the massacre. There's no jumping of timelines between EITHER of them in this episode. Only Bernard's.

I think you are confusing who is sentient versus who is fully conscious. Or confused or assumed everything is jumping all over the place, but if you watch it again. It is ONLY Bernard's storyline that's been nonlinear. Everything else is based on right after the massacre.
You cannot say with certainty that Bernard's narrative is the only one that's non linear

Nor can you say that there's a reason to assume that Maeve and Dolores are in any way reliable in what their narratives are currently portraying. Maeve questioning her memory against the writer and Cyclops being fukked up throw doubt and cause into each storyline.

I don't get how you could consider either reliable going forward. One sees time as a flat circle and the other is building her character and past history as she goes.

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
this show is turning into lost with all the convoluted storylines and mythology.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
You cannot say with certainty that Bernard's narrative is the only one that's non linear

Nor can you say that there's a reason to assume that Maeve and Dolores are in any way reliable in what their narratives are currently portraying. Maeve questioning her memory against the writer and Cyclops being fukked up throw doubt and cause into each storyline.

I don't get how you could consider either reliable going forward. One sees time as a flat circle and the other is building her character and past history as she goes.

I get the feeling Delores' perspective isn't linear, either.

We KNOW Teddy's isn't. He's dead.

Bernard's may not be. But we know the lake (where they found Teddy) and the beach they found him on aren't the same.

Maeve's may be, because she's outside the park.

Right now it's hard to filter it because we know the Hosts have doctor who level timelines. It makes one paranoid. As long as they're in the park, we have no clue.

don't be quoting Rust in here. We got enough to deal with. :mjgrin:

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

If you talking about NARRATIVES that is a different story altogether. If you talking about nonlinear timelines, the only one that really nonlinear in that episode was Bernard's. The opening scene that appeared to be in the past, but maybe the future. The distorted flashbacks. The day after the massacre. And everything after at LEAST two weeks later is all from Bernard's perspective. Everything else been straightforward. You didn't see a flashbacks or flash forwards of anyone else's perspectives.

Now speaking of narratives, we know that Delores, Maeve, and Bernard are self-aware. The ambiguity is who is truly conscious vs who is simply self-aware of who they are but still following a loop without knowing it. The only one that I am certain is truly conscious is Maeve because she's the only one that we know for a fact of breaking her loop and the only one who is motivated by true human emotion which is love. Delores, may believe she's thinking on her own, but her behavior is purely of that of Wyatt which I am certain is the narrative she was given, her original narrative. Bernard, because his mind is fractured would also mean his narrative is fractured as well and trying to reconnect with his narrative.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I get the feeling Delores' perspective isn't linear, either.

We KNOW Teddy's isn't. He's dead.

Bernard's may not be. But we know the lake (where they found Teddy) and the beach they found him on aren't the same.

Maeve's may be, because she's outside the park.

Right now it's hard to filter it because we know the Hosts have doctor who level timelines. It makes one paranoid. As long as they're in the park, we have no clue.

don't be quoting Rust in here. We got enough to deal with. :mjgrin:

The end where it showed Teddy "dead" is from Bernard's perspective. Delores is nowhere in that scene and the only time we ever saw Delores from that timeline is through a video data recording.

Everything with Delores, chasing the guests and basically setting up their lynching is from the same timeline of the days after the massacre. That's all linear.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
I knew Dolores name would eventually make sense.. she bringing the pain
:ohhh:Good catch with the name. Last season she was suffering, this season she's giving out suffering.

To be fair, she says she has two minds in her head:
Dolores who sees the beauty in everything, and Wyatt who just wants to murder all humans. Arnold loaded two distinct personalities into one host at the same time, and they both seem to be active at once.

Anyway, I think the timelines are much simpler than people are making out. I think the opening scene wasn't a third timeline at all, its just Bernard talking to the voice in his bicameral mind just before when he wakes up on the beach.

So think its just two timelines 11 days apart, and they're not hiding when any of the action takes place.
(Then again, I fought the "multiple timelines" theory for a LONG time when watching season 1. Now when I re-watch season 1 it should have been obvious).