The Official "Westworld" Season 1 Thread

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Also, the whole William being the Man In Black theory is based on such reaches it's just mind blowing.

'Oh, him and the Man In Black and Teddy all picked up Delores' can, they have to be connected.'

No, what that means is that Delores' dropping the can is a "trigger" to her event (the shootout at her parents' place). What happens is that if someone picks up the can, Delores starts convincing them to come home with her, which is where the guests will be engaged in the shootout with the gang members so they can make a heroic save and possibly make love to their damsel-in-distress. Just like the old guy with the eye patch falling of the cart is a trigger (to a treasure hunt) and the guy who bumps into you and reaches for his gun is a trigger (for your first would-be duel). To stay with the video game analogy, the sheriff or army recruiting folks would be like a main mission, the old guy with the eye patch and Delores offer you side quests and the guy bumping into you is a random event.

You gotta remember that almost all interaction in Westworld is based on these "triggers" and as we saw in episode two with Millay, they program the hosts' personalities specifically to convince the guests to join them. The big "question" here is why Teddy would trigger Delores as well since they're both hosts, but that seems to come down to the "small improvisations" where if a guest doesn't activate the trigger, a host can so the narrative still plays out. A way to keep Westworld going if you will, should there be a number of guests who are like William's friend and don't engage in any of the quests because they just want some robot p*ssy.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
I see this thread is going to be a who can spoil everything first contest.

:mjlol:

I might be out
Yeah its such a double edged sword with these threads

On 1 hand, it's cool because others pick up (or just copy paste other forums shyt) stuff I may have missed.

But then at the same time because everyone is so hell bent on the theories and figuring stuff out eventually somebody is going to hit on something true and really it just spoils it because you as a viewer may not have hit on that.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Watched the 1st episode last night. Kept thinking about it to the point I watched the 2nd episode while at work today..... I'm definitely in. When do the new episodes air? I almost wish I didn't discover it and could just binge watch it all at once
Every Sunday night @ 9pm ET

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Major spoilers for "Bioshock" in this post. I'll spoiler tag them after the quote from Jonathan Nolan.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/10/bioshock-westworld-influence.html

"I was a big fan of the BioShock video games," Nolan said, "which I thought were among the most literate and thoughtful pieces of entertainment that I've seen in the last ten years." He continued:

I was [with] Ken Levine, the designer of those games, talking about the non-player characters — Elizabeth, specifically, in BioShock Infinite. In a scene, I think I had just run through and shot everyone and kept going. And he was talking about how much craft had gone into all the conversations that the non-player characters had, and all their dreams and aspirations. And I just thought, Oh, isn't that tragic? Isn't that sad? And the player just ignores it all. The b*stards.

How that applies to "Westworld" is obvious....also the anachronistic music....but there's something else people might've over looked:

In "Bioshock" the main character meets a helpful (and polite) NPC who is later revealed to be controlling your character with a trigger phrase "would you kindly?" kinda how The Winter Soldier is "activated" by that list of words Zemo kept repeating. This would lend credence to the "Westworld" theory that there is a phrase (possibly "these violent delights have violent ends") that causes the hosts to bug out.

Fred.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Cant wait brehs

@TheGodling you loving this Nolan family product huh? :smugnolan:

Of course he is. He's being his hipster self where he wants everyone to believe jonathan>Christopher so he's rooting extra hard for the show.

It's no mystery that I hold Jonathan Nolan on a higher pedestal than his brother, he's always been the "hidden" strength behind the writing in his movies. Plus he delves deep into high concept sci-fi stuff which I personally love. The only thing is that he lacks the technical expertise of his brother as a director, although we still haven't seen Jonathan work with a big movie budget.

got the breh over here writing college dissertations :wow: Nolan da gawd

This has nothing to do with Nolan. Anyone who's been in the Predestination thread should know that once we get into some high concept sci-fi stuff, I go ham with it.:russ:

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
In "Bioshock" the main character meets a helpful (and polite) NPC who is later revealed to be controlling your character with a trigger phrase "would you kindly?" kinda how The Winter Soldier is "activated" by that list of words Zemo kept repeating. This would lend credence to the "Westworld" theory that there is a phrase (possibly "these violent delights have violent ends") that causes the hosts to bug out.

We already know that there are trigger phrases that work on them. For example, "rest in a deep and dreamless slumber" puts them into Sleep mode.