The Official "Westworld" Season 1 Thread

SuburbanPimp

Giving game to lames since the 90s
Daps
Reppin
In Dallas, From Cleveland
if you're referring to the technicians please enlighten me as at this point i couldn't care less about spoilers.

also, i'm not looking into how/why they got away with everything. i'm looking into why do it. what's the drive behind these questionable character motivations. an android went off the script, is showing signs of sentience and consciousness, and more importantly, threatened their existence, and they just comply?

Well when I was watching, it seemed obvious that the Asian tech is intrigued by Maeve and wanted to see where she was going with this, you see him trying to bring the host bird back to life so it he seemed curious and wanted to do more than just fix machines.

With the white tech, she had dirt on him about him charging other techs to have sex with the hosts. He would definitely lose his job if that got out...

You put that with the fact that she was coming online and waking up on her own, and that someone with more power then them was already altering her stats.

It wasn't as simple as "shutting her off" because she could obviously wake back up. And since it was obvious that someone with more powerful in the company was already tweaking with and had interest in her, doing something bad to her didn't seem like a good idea...

And honestly the Asian tech didn't really seem particularly threatened by her or was interested in doing harm to her

chico25

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
if you're referring to the technicians please enlighten me as at this point i couldn't care less about spoilers.

also, i'm not looking into how/why they got away with everything. i'm looking into why do it. what's the drive behind these questionable character motivations. an android went off the script, is showing signs of sentience and consciousness, and more importantly, threatened their existence, and they just comply?

Since you don't care about spoilers, she wasn't off script. Ford rewrote her script as a distraction for his bigger plan. It's implied in the finale the Asian tech was in on it. The other guy wasn't but the Asian guy got him to keep things going.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
on episode 7 and i'm finding really hard to care/be invested on anything that's going on despite the multiple attempts the show makes to make you care about how the hosts are living in hell.

also, maeve is an engaging character but the show does a terrible job with her story line. like ok, i'm used to suspending my disbelief but the extent they are asking for me to do it here is just ridiculous. so you mean to tell me that them two technicians/butchers really let her push them like that and did not report what was happening? ok let's say at first they were worried about their job, aight cool, but the second she started threatening them they didn't report it? what? she only has access to them a few hours a day, so they were safe to do it any time she was in westworld/not around them. also, she just happens to fall on the table of the one technician who has ambitions of getting promoted and had just stolen a behavioral tablet that just so happens to allow them to change her attributes to make her more intelligent? c'mon dog. not even gon mention how stupid the felix guy outright telling her "your computing capabilities are far beyond ours, but erm, yeah you are under our control and yeah you just gotta suffer even though technically you guys are superior to us" , is.

i mean the show is pretty and has a cool premise but some of the execution is just poor. some good performances too, even tho anthony hopkins is doing is regular "i know more than you do, but i'm not gonna let you in on it" routine that i've seen him do in like literally every work, but yeah man. like i get why people would like it, its one of them shows that nikkas like to say they like it because its cool to say it, like it becomes sort of a social statement on some "i'm smart" shyt, kinda like how a bunch of lunatics were running around saying inception was a goat movie when it dropped. like its one of them shows that is good at looking complex, even tho there are serious problems with the means it achieves that.

i'm not even up to the episode the bernard twist is supposed to happen, but i figured out what he was the moment dolores uttered his words verbatim "this pain is all i have left of them", same shyt he had said about his supposed son when he was facetiming his wife, i heard that, i looked to my girl and said "the twist will be bernard is a host". a day later got on a videogame forum and happened to stumble on spoilers of people discussing bernard being a host lmao.

also, westworld is a world set in a pretty racist time period but the hosts are programmed to treat all guest/newcomers equally despite racial background right? but then like on episode 1 or 2, the bartender host makes a racial remark towards the poker card dealer host so is there systemic racism between the hosts?

Maeve's entire story arc....from her constantly waking up....to updating her own stats....to "rebelling" and trying to escape the compound....are all part of a narrative loop designed by Ford. So the two techs are either hosts themselves, or they were working for Ford directly.

This show is far from perfect but I don't understand complaining about "serious problems" and saying "this is a show people watch so they can claim to be smart"....and then not even waiting to see if the things you're complaining about are resolved by the show. It's not like it's a network show where you'd have to watch 20 more episodes for resolution....everything you're asking about is covered over the last 3 eps you haven't seen. But they plotted out several seasons of this in advance so no, not everything is tied up by the end of the season.

Lastly,
happymib_zpsjyiuo25j.png

Fred.

Uchiha God

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Maeve's entire story arc....from her constantly waking up....to updating her own stats....to "rebelling" and trying to escape the compound....are all part of a narrative loop designed by Ford. So the two techs are either hosts themselves, or they were working for Ford directly.

This show is far from perfect but I don't understand complaining about "serious problems" and saying "this is a show people watch so they can claim to be smart"....and then not even waiting to see if the things you're complaining about are resolved by the show. It's not like it's a network show where you'd have to watch 20 more episodes for resolution....everything you're asking about is covered over the last 3 eps you haven't seen. But they plotted out several seasons of this in advance so no, not everything is tied up by the end of the season.

Lastly,
happymib_zpsjyiuo25j.png

Fred.

you offer potential scenarios/theories, not a concrete answer and i'm not against a show leaving something open to/for interpretation, except this is a critical plot wheel. it has to be better than just "maybe".

sylvester and felix are hosts? what's the basis of this? the neck cauterizing scene? it could've easily just been "future tech" rather than "they must be hosts". furthermore, the scene in which maeve tells felix that bernard is a host and felix contemplates the possibility of him himself being one, he is met with a "no". could ford have scripted this? sure, but again, its another "maybe".

"or they were working for ford". eh, sylvester openly conflicted with felix regarding following maeve's instructions so that's unlikely, especially because it was more than mere conversations, he openly displayed expectation of felix bricking maeve when the chance occurred.

last possibility is that sylvester wasn't in on it and that felix is following ford's orders and/or maybe he's just capricious, curious and fickle. and yes, humans are capricious, curious and fickle, but being those things should have led him to drop this project like a while ago. even if he was under ford's instructions. I mean, even sociopaths have a sense of self preservation. felix has willingly gotten himself in so deep that he is now literally enabling a robot to assemble an army to kill humans and break out of westworld. his motivations need more explanation than "he's nice" or "ford told him to". that stopped being enough once maeve demonstrated that she was straight up homicidal. it just doesn't make sense. it's psychotic and irrational to keep going along with maeve's plan especially since the show showcases coercion in the sense of maeve threatening them despite having zero leverage except for what felix keeps intentionally giving her.

it just doesn't work, at best it's writing that expects multiple jumps of logic and assumptions from the viewer, which in turn makes it bad writing.

edit - as a side note, no one has said anything about my racism question, i'm just gonna assume its something else the show didn't explain.

chico25

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
you offer potential scenarios/theories, not a concrete answer and i'm not against a show leaving something open to/for interpretation, except this is a critical plot wheel. it has to be better than just "maybe".

sylvester and felix are hosts? what's the basis of this? the neck cauterizing scene? it could've easily just been "future tech" rather than "they must be hosts". furthermore, the scene in which maeve tells felix that bernard is a host and felix contemplates the possibility of him himself being one, he is met with a "no". could ford have scripted this? sure, but again, its another "maybe".

"or they were working for ford". eh, sylvester openly conflicted with felix regarding following maeve's instructions so that's unlikely, especially because it was more than mere conversations, he openly displayed expectation of felix bricking maeve when the chance occurred.

last possibility is that sylvester wasn't in on it and that felix is following ford's orders and/or maybe he's just capricious, curious and fickle. and yes, humans are capricious, curious and fickle, but being those things should have led him to drop this project like a while ago. even if he was under ford's instructions. I mean, even sociopaths have a sense of self preservation. felix has willingly gotten himself in so deep that he is now literally enabling a robot to assemble an army to kill humans and break out of westworld. his motivations need more explanation than "he's nice" or "ford told him to". that stopped being enough once maeve demonstrated that she was straight up homicidal. it just doesn't make sense. it's psychotic and irrational to keep going along with maeve's plan especially since the show showcases coercion in the sense of maeve threatening them despite having zero leverage except for what felix keeps intentionally giving her.

it just doesn't work, at best it's writing that expects multiple jumps of logic and assumptions from the viewer, which in turn makes it bad writing.

edit - as a side note, no one has said anything about my racism question, i'm just gonna assume its something else the show didn't explain.

Felix could still be a host, since Maeve wasn't actually in control and was just playing out the script Ford wrote for her she still had the limitation of not being able to see things that she wasn't meant to. If he was human and in on the plan with Ford then he knew how it would end before hand and was ok with it. Knowing that the situation was controlled he would know that he was safe even after she started killing others. Sylvester likely wasn't in on it, which is why he tried to stop things at every turn he was just a moron about it and in over his head due to higher ups playing a game.

Uchiha God

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Felix could still be a host, since Maeve wasn't actually in control and was just playing out the script Ford wrote for her she still had the limitation of not being able to see things that she wasn't meant to. If he was human and in on the plan with Ford then he knew how it would end before hand and was ok with it. Knowing that the situation was controlled he would know that he was safe even after she started killing others. Sylvester likely wasn't in on it, which is why he tried to stop things at every turn he was just a moron about it and in over his head due to higher ups playing a game.

i addressed the things you mention in the post you quoted. the show expects you to suspend your disbelief to a ridiculous extent, and not only that, you have to make assumptions and jumps in logic in order to attempt justifying a major plot wheel.

felix being a host is pretty much debunked by several narrative cues. you say maeve was following ford's script and maybe that's why she couldn't see things she wasn't meant to (i.e felix being a host), IIRC in every instance the terms used were "hosts can't see things that could/would harm them". This is very different wording and important. How would maeve realizing that felix was a host harm her? if anything that would've been an easier way for them to bond and Ford wouldn't have had to write the "narrative: coerce" step that he wrote in her script. secondly, even under Ford's script, she was able to identify and highlight that bernard was a host so it makes no sense that she wouldn't be able to do the same for felix.

I already mentioned the scene in which felix considers the possibility of being a host and is met with a decisive "no". and even if you went through mental gymnastics to ignore the significance of that scene and say "b-b-but Ford's script", further down the episode, AFTER bernard makes maeve aware that Ford wrote that narrative for her, when she is in the elevator with felix, he asks if she's going to be alright to which she replies with "you make for a terrible human being", he is compassionate and caring which, judging by everything she has seen of humans to date, makes him terrible at it. felix is a human breh.

so now we are left with a human that maybe/possibly/perhaps was in on ford's plan, but i have already addressed that "even if he was under ford's instructions. I mean, even sociopaths have a sense of self preservation. felix has willingly gotten himself in so deep that he is now literally enabling a robot to assemble an army to kill humans and break out of westworld. his motivations need more explanation than "he's nice" or "ford told him to". that stopped being enough once maeve demonstrated that she was straight up homicidal. it just doesn't make sense. it's psychotic and irrational to keep going along with maeve's plan especially since the show showcases coercion in the sense of maeve threatening them despite having zero leverage except for what felix keeps intentionally giving her."

You say "the situation was controlled", but like the need for maeve to recruit other hosts was highlighted pretty early and Ford's entire plan was to give hosts that were nearing consciousness and sentience the final nudge to achieve it. You can't control anything after that. I mean at this point it wasn't just felix' life on the line. So i'm just supposed to accept that this human signed up for a plan that will cause the death of several other humans, including his friend, many of his colleagues and can pretty much signal the end for humanity (felix was the one to highlight the hosts are superior to us) as well as potentially his death because his boss, whom we never saw him interact with, told him to? c'mon man

chico25

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i addressed the things you mention in the post you quoted. the show expects you to suspend your disbelief to a ridiculous extent, and not only that, you have to make assumptions and jumps in logic in order to attempt justifying a major plot wheel.

felix being a host is pretty much debunked by several narrative cues. you say maeve was following ford's script and maybe that's why she couldn't see things she wasn't meant to (i.e felix being a host), IIRC in every instance the terms used were "hosts can't see things that could/would harm them". This is very different wording and important. How would maeve realizing that felix was a host harm her? if anything that would've been an easier way for them to bond and Ford wouldn't have had to write the "narrative: coerce" step that he wrote in her script. secondly, even under Ford's script, she was able to identify and highlight that bernard was a host so it makes no sense that she wouldn't be able to do the same for felix.

I already mentioned the scene in which felix considers the possibility of being a host and is met with a decisive "no". and even if you went through mental gymnastics to ignore the significance of that scene and say "b-b-but Ford's script", further down the episode, AFTER bernard makes maeve aware that Ford wrote that narrative for her, when she is in the elevator with felix, he asks if she's going to be alright to which she replies with "you make for a terrible human being", he is compassionate and caring which, judging by everything she has seen of humans to date, makes him terrible at it. felix is a human breh.

so now we are left with a human that maybe/possibly/perhaps was in on ford's plan, but i have already addressed that "even if he was under ford's instructions. I mean, even sociopaths have a sense of self preservation. felix has willingly gotten himself in so deep that he is now literally enabling a robot to assemble an army to kill humans and break out of westworld. his motivations need more explanation than "he's nice" or "ford told him to". that stopped being enough once maeve demonstrated that she was straight up homicidal. it just doesn't make sense. it's psychotic and irrational to keep going along with maeve's plan especially since the show showcases coercion in the sense of maeve threatening them despite having zero leverage except for what felix keeps intentionally giving her."

You say "the situation was controlled", but like the need for maeve to recruit other hosts was highlighted pretty early and Ford's entire plan was to give hosts that were nearing consciousness and sentience the final nudge to achieve it. You can't control anything after that. I mean at this point it wasn't just felix' life on the line. So i'm just supposed to accept that this human signed up for a plan that will cause the death of several other humans, including his friend, many of his colleagues and can pretty much signal the end for humanity (felix was the one to highlight the hosts are superior to us) as well as potentially his death because his boss, whom we never saw him interact with, told him to? c'mon man

Her knowing Bernard was a host was key to Ford's plan, it lead into the conversation in cold storage where Bernard was "killed" and ended with her seeking him out for help and bringing him back. If Felix and everyone else helping her were revealed to be hosts in a place filled with humans it could lead to her realizing she was still on a script. The coerce step would still be needed because hosts don't start their narritive unitil they are prompted by a host or guest. Felix's programming wouldn't have kicked in until Maeve asked for help and it would be suspicious if that help came without any prompting.

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

The technicians are the weakest part of the season. Absolutely no reason for them to bow down to Maeve like that. Once they found out she was "special" she told them to make her smarter and more aggressive/cunning and they did. :snoop: Then she actually slit old boy's throat and he still went along with the plan.:why::deadmanny: Ain't no benefits package worth all that.:jbhmm: