The Official "Westworld" Season 1 Thread

Batter Up

Superstar
Daps
I wouldn't be surprised if Hopkins don't come back - he doesn't need this shyt. Dude could've just thought he's gonna come in and kill the first season just to shyt on nikkas with a classic, pick up his milly per ep and keep it moving.

Hopkins is an admitted Breaking Bad stan who went as far as to send Bryan Cranston a letter telling him his performance was the best he'd ever seen. I wouldn't be surprised if that partly inspired him to take this role and it shows he has respect for TV dramas and doesn't think he's above them. With the critical acclaim of this season and all the praise his performance has gotten it's hard to imagine he wouldn't come back for another season if they asked him. At the very least he'll probably return for voice over work or do some flashback scenes.

Batter Up

Superstar
Daps
that finale brehs... :ohlawd:

what a masterpiece of a season.

had me looking like ed harris

NiayR72.png

:mjlol:

This needs to be a smiley immediately :wow:

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
Watching this show and reading discussion of it is interesting considering I don't believe we actually have free will, at least not the classic concept. I feel as if we're on par with the robots in Westworld, trapped by the physical makeup of our programming, or in our case, our brain states and the chemical reactions we don't control. So if scientist reached a point in their technological advancement where they could hook machines up to our brains and read our thoughts, we would feel just like Maeve felt as she was being told what she was thinking and was going to do next.

With that in mind, I feel as if the robots have been conscious since the moment they could question their existence or experience an existential crisis, but the seperate issue of free will, will never be resolved for them. But the kicker is it will never be resolved for us either, if hard determinism is true, which I believe it is.

I don't think that's where this show is going with their themes. They are going with a more traditional approach of what is free will and what is consciousness and what is a soul. The writers obviously treat free will as a real thing in the classical sense, which most fiction writers tend to do since it's more comforting and....satisfying, but I think I still enjoy viewing it from the perspective that neither human or robot are free...and it's why their struggles are so similar.

I think the whole point of the show is for us to question what makes us alive and different than these machinez. What defines life and consciousness? Are we just biological machines that are programmed like any other machines? Are we slaves to deterministic paths?

Ford says as much to Bernard:

So what's the difference between my pain and yours? Between you and me?

This was the very question that consumed Arnold, filled him with guilt, eventually drove him mad.The answer always seemed obvious to me. There is no threshold that makes us greater than the sum of our parts, no inflection point at which we become fully alive. We can't define consciousness because consciousness does not exist. Humans fancy that there's something special about the way we perceive the world, and yet we live in loops as tight and as closed as the hosts do, seldom questioning our choices, content, for the most part, to be told what to do next. No, my friend, you're not missing anything at all.

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
I'm assuming Ford told him to give her that info and pic and it was a test to see if she'd over come her programming. If his intent was really mainland infiltration then he failed and Ford doesn't fail, he plays chess.

Delores is the most advanced host because she's technically been sentient this whole season, she just didn't realize it. Maeve is #2 but still way behind Delores because up until the last 15 minutes or so she was still doing what Ford wanted.

Another plot thread people completely forgot about is Delores original dad is loose with all of Ford's coding data hidden in him.

Fred.
I'm assuming he's back in the park with the other hosts.
They messed up by not showing the resolution to that. Charlotte told Sizemore he has somewhere else to be and something important to do but all the hosts were gone by the time he got to cold storage.

I also want to know what Bernard said to Abernathy when he put him cold storage at the end of the 1st ep

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I'm assuming he's back in the park with the other hosts.
They messed up by not showing the resolution to that. Charlotte told Sizemore he has somewhere else to be and something important to do but all the hosts were gone by the time he got to cold storage.

I also want to know what Bernard said to Abernathy when he put him cold storage at the end of the 1st ep

He's definitely in the park, the last time we seen him was cold storage and that's obviously empty now. Even if Maeve reprogrammed him he's still unique in that he has Ford's codes in his brain.

I don't think they messed up though, they left that plot thread dangling until season 2. Just like I'm assuming the samurais weren't there for window dressing.

Fred.

Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
I think the whole point of the show is for us to question what makes us alive and different than these machinez. What defines life and consciousness? Are we just biological machines that are programmed like any other machines? Are we slaves to deterministic paths?

Ford says as much to Bernard:

That convo is one of the coolest parts of the show to me. I hope they flash back to younger Ford and Arnold arguing.

I just love how they left the season in the middle of the shootout. We get to start the second season in the middle of the jump off :banderas:

Rell Lauren

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Watching this show and reading discussion of it is interesting considering I don't believe we actually have free will, at least not the classic concept. I feel as if we're on par with the robots in Westworld, trapped by the physical makeup of our programming, or in our case, our brain states and the chemical reactions we don't control. So if scientist reached a point in their technological advancement where they could hook machines up to our brains and read our thoughts, we would feel just like Maeve felt as she was being told what she was thinking and was going to do next.

With that in mind, I feel as if the robots have been conscious since the moment they could question their existence or experience an existential crisis, but the seperate issue of free will, will never be resolved for them. But the kicker is it will never be resolved for us either, if hard determinism is true, which I believe it is.

I don't think that's where this show is going with their themes. They are going with a more traditional approach of what is free will and what is consciousness and what is a soul. The writers obviously treat free will as a real thing in the classical sense, which most fiction writers tend to do since it's more comforting and....satisfying, but I think I still enjoy viewing it from the perspective that neither human or robot are free...and it's why their struggles are so similar.

Ford said it himself, humans aren't that much from the hosts. We live in loops and live to take orders.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Hopkins is an admitted Breaking Bad stan who went as far as to send Bryan Cranston a letter telling him his performance was the best he'd ever seen. I wouldn't be surprised if that partly inspired him to take this role and it shows he has respect for TV dramas and doesn't think he's above them.

I never thought about it like that but I bet you're right. He said he'd lost his belief in show biz and "Breaking Bad" inspired him.

Fred.

Mr. Manhattan

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
i was thinking this given the shows theme of the human mind, freedom, morality etc

do you think there would be a possibility of a slave trade theme in a future season
should make for some intense and interesting commentary :jbhmm: