The Official "Westworld" Season 1 Thread

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
I know it's random quotting this, but maybe this explains it. Maybe there are a lot of dumb people watching the show.

The amount of idiotic shyt I heard today was out of control. People that either assumed they knew exactly what season 2 would be, or they assumed because they couldn't think of any great ideas, that it wouldn't be able to be good.

One guy said that he thinks in the "2nd half of season 2", the blonde snake tatted chick will come into Westworld with the samurai and a katana welded onto her missing arm to help join the fight
:heh:

Another woman said, "I just don't get why they didn't just tell us that William was the Man in Black in episode 1. It would have been so much easier."
:snoop:

And another guy said, "How are they gonna do a season 2? :ohhh: Now that the hosts are killing people, who would want to visit the park? :dwillhuh:"

:mindblown:
I know a whole lot of people like that too shyt is aggravating as fukk :russ:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I know it's random quotting this, but maybe this explains it. Maybe there are a lot of dumb people watching the show.

The amount of idiotic shyt I heard today was out of control. People that either assumed they knew exactly what season 2 would be, or they assumed because they couldn't think of any great ideas, that it wouldn't be able to be good.

One guy said that he thinks in the "2nd half of season 2", the blonde snake tatted chick will come into Westworld with the samurai and a katana welded onto her missing arm to help join the fight
:heh:

Another woman said, "I just don't get why they didn't just tell us that William was the Man in Black in episode 1. It would have been so much easier."
:snoop:

And another guy said, "How are they gonna do a season 2? :ohhh: Now that the hosts are killing people, who would want to visit the park? :dwillhuh:"

:mindblown:

That's why I
cottonmouth_zpstvaphrxs.png
earlier in the thread when people were talking about "nah, the William = Man In Black twist is too obvious"....to who?

Of course it's obvious if you keep track of theories, how could it not be? For the rest of the world just watching the show? Hell no.

Fred.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Excellent 1st season :whew:

There were a few things throughout that seemed somewhat inconsistent though.

Lawrence's character arc seemed half-assed compared to the other host characters that were developed imo. One question that I had in light of the developments/twists throughout the rest of the season was why he was not affected by reveries and/or responding to "the maze" given that the MiB did nearly the same thing to him that he did to Maeve. The MiB literally butchers Alonzo's entire family tree in front of him except for his daughter... Alonzo never has any of the malfunctions and memory fukkery that Teddy/Dolores/Maeve/Dolores's father/etc. have though despite that he is also one of the early androids because he was in the original William timeline. The entire time that he's with William in the current timeline he does not remember their past friendship.

With all the time that we spent with Lawrence's character throughout the show, there is zero character development/arc even within the context of his in-story narrative and he isn't much of a foil either for William/the MiB despite that they share a lot of scenes together. His story almost seems redundant and most of his scenes were definitely the weak link in the season. It's a shame because his character is actually fairly interesting given the fact that he's clearly one of the "leaders" in Westworld's underworld. Maybe they're setting him up for the next season, based on this season he needs to be bushed though.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
I actually got "Stranger Things" on deck, probably jump into it next.
"Preacher" is kind of a mess breh. It's not a terrible show but after "Westworld" the difference in quality will be
ughwtf_zpsnp1bi9pn.png

Better to go from "Westworld" into "Black Mirror".

Fred.

You keep forgetting about The Americans :smh:

• Dap
Reactions: hex

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Excellent 1st season :whew:

There were a few things throughout that seemed somewhat inconsistent though.

Lawrence's character arc seemed half-assed compared to the other host characters that were developed imo. One question that I had in light of the developments/twists throughout the rest of the season was why he was not affected by reveries and/or responding to "the maze" given that the MiB did nearly the same thing to him that he did to Maeve. The MiB literally butchers Alonzo's entire family tree in front of him except for his daughter... Alonzo never has any of the malfunctions and memory fukkery that Teddy/Dolores/Maeve/Dolores's father/etc. have though despite that he is also one of the early androids because he was in the original William timeline. The entire time that he's with William in the current timeline he does not remember their past friendship.

With all the time that we spent with Lawrence's character throughout the show, there is zero character development/arc even within the context of his in-story narrative and he isn't much of a foil either for William/the MiB despite that they share a lot of scenes together. His story almost seems redundant and most of his scenes were definitely the weak link in the season. It's a shame because his character is actually fairly interesting given the fact that he's clearly one of the "leaders" in Westworld's underworld. Maybe they're setting him up for the next season, based on this season he needs to be bushed though.

Well Ford did say only a handful of the hosts over the years have become "woke". Others it either didn't work, or they went insane.

Fred.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
show is great to rewatch after seeing it all.

when ford was talking with old bill and bernard walks in and says

"I saw the new gestures, the reveries, they're beautiful, the distance you've traveled from then to now is remarkable"

Ford: "Yeah...that's a word for it."

makes so much more sense now.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Well Ford did say only a handful of the hosts over the years have become "woke". Others it either didn't work, or they went insane.

Fred.

True, that raises the question of whether the android uprising is "real" or simply another loop though. If the majority of the hosts are stuck in loops and Ford obviously created the new storyline including the massacre of the CEOs, what will the new cycle be and how exactly will the majority of the androids ever complete the maze in the first place? Lawrence's lack of any real (or even perceived) mournfulness over his wife and family actually raises another question as well. The hosts in Westworld are largely given "white hat" and "black hat" attributes and backstories. The hosts that were written to not be able to kill other hosts and guests (Dolores, Maeve, etc) are the ones that are fighting their internal super-ego vs. id battles. Their id (Arnold's voice) is telling them to defend themselves and level their odds against their real enemies while their programmed super-ego keeps them in their subservient loop. But what about the characters whose super-ego already indulges their basest desires and instincts? Where will the the need for self-awareness come from when they already see themselves as the aggressors (winners)?

Finding out that the park is a man made creation is one thing. Effectively though West World has a three-tiered class system: victim hosts (bottom), predator hosts (middle) and guests (top). There are a few scenes in the show that make allusions to American slavery (the "Big House" scene w/ Teresa and Ford and the scenes in the 8th episode and last episode where Maeve and Bernard essentially have the field vs house nikka argument). The most crucial element that protected the institution of slavery was the "middle class", as in those who were neither slaves nor plantation owners. I have a feeling this show might explore the fragmentation of the robots themselves; some of them are more than likely content with Westworld and won't necessarily bow to the Doloreses (Nat Turner?) of the world.

That' just my two cents though :ehh:

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
the host who shot everyone with the milk makes sense now, they're the hosts Ford referred to who went insane due to their sentience

Good point, the fact that he could remember who had killed him in the last storyline isn't proof of sentience though. Memory alone isn't sentience, it's merely the 1st part of the maze that the majority of the androids never make it past.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Good point, the fact that he could remember who had killed him in the last storyline isn't proof of sentience though. Memory alone isn't sentience, it's merely the 1st part of the maze that the majority of the androids never make it past.
right, they gradually gain sentience over time.

GulfCoastGhost

No more snow
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY/Sarasota
Give Anthony Hopkins all the emmys.

I would rather see him continue in this somehow than go back to shytty movie roles like Thor's father and the next Transformers movie. :smugford:

#makehopkinsgreatagain
Whose to say Ford wasn't making a replica of himself in the episode when Theresa died and it was actually his robot self that went up and got killed in his place.

Or he really did die but there is a robot out there that looks like him called Dorf? You never know he is a sneaky motherfukker.

Let the guests think they find the way out and instead wind up in midevil world and let a horse ride up with Lord Eddard Stark, Warden of the North, sentencing them to die