The Official Toronto Discussion Thread

SwizzLake

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
article is false they didn't convert

48usd is 65.58 Canadian Dollar

3. Canada - $75,660 per year, $48.50 per hour (USD)

75,000 United States Dollar equals 102,475.12 Canadian Dollar

We also have to consider the purchasing power.

For US nurses making 48k US, they are spending their money in the US, in US dollars..so conversion to Canadian dollars will not mean anything.

Canadian nurses are better compensated because their dollar goes a longer way.

Bushmaster69

Superstar
Daps
shyt. I got no experience in the medical field but I'd happily apply to hospitals lol
I think they are going to offer free PSW tuition next year like they did this year. Most of the classes are online too.

If you are interested I would advise you do that then bridge into an RPN program.

Then later down the line get a BScn in order to get a RN job

85 East

DJ D'eeznuts
Daps
exactly
or go up north, my cousin and his wife both nurses work up in nunavut and get paid like 65 a hour and have housing provided for
You ever see how much food costs up there though? Not sure Nunavut, but northern ontario it could cost anywhere from $58 - over $100 for a case of water alone.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I think they are going to offer free PSW tuition next year like they did this year. Most of the classes are online too.

If you are interested I would advise you do that then bridge into an RPN program.

Then later down the line get a BScn in order to get a RN job

The best thing to do is get hired by a hospital even as a psw and then take advantage of their education programs that will pay for that rpn program and then that RN.

Past 3 years over 10,000 in school fees paid for by my hospital for courses I've taken not a penny came out of my pocket.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
You ever see how much food costs up there though? Not sure Nunavut, but northern ontario it could cost anywhere from $58 - over $100 for a case of water alone.

Working in nunavut and the other territories as a outside nurse the government will pay for

Airfare for the employee, by the most economical and direct means.
Duty travel per diem rates.
One day’s page each way.
Excess baggage (not including pets or food stuffs) to a maximum of four pieces not more than 25 kg each, for each employee.

My cousin and his wife ship barrels of food down from up here and lodging is already covered for

85 East

DJ D'eeznuts
Daps
We also have to consider the purchasing power.

For US nurses making 48k US, they are spending their money in the US, in US dollars..so conversion to Canadian dollars will not mean anything.

Canadian nurses are better compensated because their dollar goes a longer way.
What are you on? Rent alone here in Ontario is killing people. My wife could have went to Texas and got better pay and better housing for half what we pay for our apartment in Toronto in Austin, San Antonio, Chicago, Houston or New Orleans. She didn't want to go to America during the Trump era as a Filipino, and now we have a kid... She legit has friends who left for the states who are making bread and stacking it.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
No they're not. They are run down into the ground. Watching people with less credentials get paid less by some private health care agency. I practically live in hospitals with my daughter. Nurses deserve more pay and more respect.

Yup my mom has been a nurse for over 35 years. Long 12 hour shifts where you may end at 730 but leaving work till like a hour after. Dealing with needle pricks, rude patients, racist patients. Rarely any downtime your life is upended because you will work like mon tues then be off wed thurs and go back fri sat sunday.

Agency staff coming in and making double what you're making but doing less

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
if nurses were compensation for what they do you wouldn't have such a high vacancy rate

I see the numbers its literally my job its horrible. Not to mention in the next 2-5 years a large percent of nurses will be retiring.

Malcolmxxx_23

Let's go panthers
Supporter
Daps
What are you on? Rent alone here in Ontario is killing people. My wife could have went to Texas and got better pay and better housing for half what we pay for our apartment in Toronto in Austin, San Antonio, Chicago, Houston or New Orleans. She didn't want to go to America during the Trump era as a Filipino, and now we have a kid... She legit has friends who left for the states who are making bread and stacking it.
My cousin moving to Houston feb 2023
First and last rent paid for in her new place
Plus they gave her a bonus

Why would a nurse stay in this trash province

SwizzLake

Superstar
Bushed
Daps

You guys are comparing Ontario rent to some of the cheapest rent locations in the US.

Compare Ontario rent/nursing salaries to the Bay area, Boston, New York, LA