The Official Street Fighter 6 thread! We Open world fighting now?!

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
What the fukk?! Who killed him?? :mjcry:

Ryu

Bison requests that Ryu shows him the power that defeated Necalli, and Ryu responds that it is not a power to defeat - it is the power to push forward. Bison scoffs and tells Ryu that power is just power, that the quest for ultimate power leads to conflict, and the conflict leads to the ultimate battle. He is nearly killed by Ryu but laughs and says "We're not done." he then attempts to perform a Psycho Inferno but Ryu counters it with a Hadoken. Bison merely laughs as he fades away, consumed by the Power of Nothingness. His base soon crumbles into the ground along with his hat.

After the events and Shadaloo's ultimate destruction, Bison becomes a mere specter that haunts people, such as his body replacements like Ed and Falke.

Adonis

All Star
Daps
Reppin
I'm the greatest, something like Ali in his prime
Ryu

Bison requests that Ryu shows him the power that defeated Necalli, and Ryu responds that it is not a power to defeat - it is the power to push forward. Bison scoffs and tells Ryu that power is just power, that the quest for ultimate power leads to conflict, and the conflict leads to the ultimate battle. He is nearly killed by Ryu but laughs and says "We're not done." he then attempts to perform a Psycho Inferno but Ryu counters it with a Hadoken. Bison merely laughs as he fades away, consumed by the Power of Nothingness. His base soon crumbles into the ground along with his hat.

After the events and Shadaloo's ultimate destruction, Bison becomes a mere specter that haunts people, such as his body replacements like Ed and Falke.
Damn. :mjcry:

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, I totally get what you mean. In those games, the ceiling is higher because there are mechanical things that most players outside of the highest level cannot access, so you can crush people on autopilot just by being able to do things they can't.

In SF6, everything is pretty easy to do and none of the game defining mechanics are anything beyond 2 button presses, so you're forced to outwit/outstrategize everyone no matter what their level is.

It's VERY EASY to get caught slipping in SF6. It requires maximum attention at all times. Definitely not an auto-pilot friendly game and not one you can play well when tired.

Thats been a prevalent design choice in FGS since dbzf where games are designed around game ending universal simple mechanics that are incredibly frustrating to deal with.

I disagree about outwitting people. Are you getting out strategized when Ken does a DR and you didnt punish him the several frames hes vulnerable and he rapes you with his S.HP? Or when Happy Chaos opens with a 6S you get hit and lose immediately?

These games are basically get one hit and you lose now. Which could be fine in old games because that type of shyt was not easily accesible by everyone. Now anyone with fleeting skill can watch a vid, grind out some setups and you have to consider them a threat. This was prevalent in Strive and I think it may be even worse here. Any fukking Nago who could do a combo was scary. Any Ken who can drive rush and do combos is a threat. Uon even really need to have footsies no more :francis:

Im venting yes but its onlu cuz Ive actually put mad time into this now that I realize it and its starting to dawn on me how insanely volatile this shyt is. Them top players are actual fukking gods doing well consistently in this. But they do play like 8 hours a day so they probs seen every thing.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Thats been a prevalent design choice in FGS since dbzf where games are designed around game ending universal simple mechanics that are incredibly frustrating to deal with.

I disagree about outwitting people. Are you getting out strategized when Ken does a DR and you didnt punish him the several frames hes vulnerable and he rapes you with his S.HP? Or when Happy Chaos opens with a 6S you get hit and lose immediately?

These games are basically get one hit and you lose now. Which could be fine in old games because that type of shyt was not easily accesible by everyone. Now anyone with fleeting skill can watch a vid, grind out some setups and you have to consider them a threat. This was prevalent in Strive and I think it may be even worse here. Any fukking Nago who could do a combo was scary. Any Ken who can drive rush and do combos is a threat. Uon even really need to have footsies no more :francis:

Im venting yes but its onlu cuz Ive actually put mad time into this now that I realize it and its starting to dawn on me how insanely volatile this shyt is. Them top players are actual fukking gods doing well consistently in this. But they do play like 8 hours a day so they probs seen every thing.

Yeah SF6 is a lot. With that said in the long run the smarter, more strategically sound player will win out in the end. Maybe not all the time in a best of 3 in ranked because the game is high damage and people play random, but certainly in a long set.

What I love about this game is the system mechanics are incredibly strong and every character has access to it. You always have a chance whether your character is stronger like Ken or weaker like Lily because of it. I also love that pretty much everything has an answer. Yeah, Ken is absurd, but dragon lance CAN be parried. Drive rush can be visually confirmed and checked. You just gotta be on point. There's so many techniques and scenarios in SF5 that couldn't be checked no matter how good you were. That's why I think fire ball into drive rush needs to go. Only 4 characters(juri, guile, deejay and to a lesser extent, chun li) can really utilize it and it creates guess scenarios that are borderline impossible to check consistently. IMO, anytime a character's fireball is on screen, their drive rush should be deactivated.

But really, I really love this game man. This is one of the best fighters ever made to me

I like that the game rewards who the more fundamentally sound player is for the most part and that there isn't any silly comeback mechanics. The V Trigger system was really bad game design, as no one should be rewarded for losing. My title here might say "champion" from winning a tournament, but to be super clear, I hated SF5 until it got dramatically better near the end, and you can tell the people who took over for 5 when Ono left have their finger prints all over 6.

SF5, you started off weak and boring until you got your trigger. In SF6, you start off super powerful but must manage your resources properly. It make things exciting from the jump.

Sf6 characters are more fleshed out and flavorful than Sf5. In a way, the V skill system is already baked into their kits rather than being some clunky mechanics.

Kim's cans, Marisa's Counter, Guile's sonic scythe, Ryu's denjin charge are all V Skill like attributes. V Skills never left. They're just baked in.

Pretty much every character has an ability in this that definitely would have been their V Skill in SF5. Some factually so like Ken's run and Honda's power up.

I totally get the frustration of not being able to just out technical people, but as you said, the best players find a way to be consistent because superior neutral and fundamentals will always shine through.

I actually enjoy fighting games being easier to access. It increases the playerbase because it makes them more inviting. The cream will always end up rising to the top regardless, and there'll always be games that are more technical in nature anyway. Just won't be the most popular.

Last edited:

superchoops

Superstar
Daps
VjbJ5NZ.jpg

one month later, another master rank :wow:

gonna try to get there with Ryu next

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
Manon fukking sucks. Just constantly getting mashed out against juris/cammys. No checks for E hondas/Blankas. JP? Guile? Might as well GG it. Gotta really lab Chun as she’s the only other character that’s interesting. This launch roster is kinda ass. Idk what capcom has against III/alpha characters

Clark Wayne

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
FL
Manon fukking sucks. Just constantly getting mashed out against juris/cammys. No checks for E hondas/Blankas. JP? Guile? Might as well GG it. Gotta really lab Chun as she’s the only other character that’s interesting. This launch roster is kinda ass. Idk what capcom has against III/alpha characters
I wouldn’t go that far but it is funny how when the game came out people were complaining about how broken she was with the medals and now people are realizing she’s mid tier.

Against Ken, Cammy, Juri you will have a hard time. JP & Guile are bad matches up too but I have an easier time dealing with them as opposed to the constant pressure of the other top characters.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps

this is a dumb take. was there any mid tiers at that million dollar tourney lol.

no one is winning a tourney with bad characters. sure if you pick a good char and say this it can be applicable, but in some games a bad mu is BAD mu.

like in melee sheik has 0-dead combos against some characters. you can't "outplay" that against equal skill.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Some additional tips

- If you are genuinely looking to get better and want the best choice to grow with the game while feeling good as you progress, play Ken or Juri. The ease of use/power level ratio is heavily out of whack with both characters in that they get a TON of reward for being played quite simply, but still allow for further growth later on. Juri is so ridiculously overpowered that you don't even need to touch Feng Sui Engine (SA2) to get mileage out of her, but once you do, you'll go even further at the highest levels. Ken has optimal combos, but even the basic stuff hits incredibly hard. They did this on purpose, as Ken is the favorite choice among casuals, and Juri has a huge fan base, so they wanted to make sure that people giving their game a try feel good about themselves as they learn. They also have all the tools you need to teach you important stuff: fireballs for zoning, great anti air options, strong normal attacks to navigate neutral space, etc.

Guile is also a good choice if you want to use a charge character. All 3 are powerful and a threat that your opponent has to seriously account for even if they are superior to you, which is a good thing for your growth. Luke is good choice, but his optimal combos require a bit of timing/dexterity with his charged knuckles. Marisa is not a bad choice either, but you have to dedicate a pretty large portion of your mental stack to looking out for jumps at all times, because her anti air game is quite weak to compensate for her unmatched damage output. Honda is easy, but does not teach you good fighting game fundamentals and ultimately becomes much weaker as you go against better people who can parry his headbutt and buttsplash. Juri and Ken are incredible no matter what level you're playing at.

- Speaking of mental stack, get familiar with that term. When going into a fight, keep in mind 3-4 things at all times that you are aware of no matter what and retain that shyt. Common elements are people jumping at you, a command grab if your opponent has one, a fireball if your opponent has one, and popular moves in neutral space that you can look for to whiff punish or drive impact (if they can't be cancelled). An example of the latter is Manon's standing HK(roundhouse) and standing HP(fierce). Both of those moves are incredible, and because of that, Capcom made it so neither can be cancelled into specials. Meaning they are guaranteed drive impacts if you anticipate them and are correct. So that's 2 moves you should keep in your mental stack when fighting her.

When fighting Marisa, her st LP LP or st MP MP into Drive Rush cancel yields a very powerful mix up. She can either do her command grab OR crouching light kick to combo start. So, you should always have in your mental when fighting Marisa that when she's drive rushing in from those moves, your options are to jump to avoid the command grab, or block to avoid crouching light kick.

The most common mental stack in the corner is readjusting your brain to look for the red glow that comes with Drive Impact. That's why it's not always easy to drive impact a competent player in the corner. Another example is this: Remember I said earlier that Manon's st.hk is a great move but Drive Impact-able? So, if I use that move one time..maybe twice, the third time I am slowing it down and my mental stack is looking for a drive impact, because I know a good player is aware of st.hk's weakness. So I think two steps ahead of them, and if they drive impact me, I already got mine ready for that ass :ahh:

The brain can only store but so many things in it at once during a match, so focus on the important things and make sure you are adjusting what is relevant to store by who you are fighting against.

- I said this earlier, but I repeat, PLEASE RESPECT FRAME DATA. Turn that frame data feature on in training mode and get very familiar with it. Understand that frame data is concrete, consistent math and it does not change no matter how frustrated you might be blocking something. Example: If Marisa does a charged gladius at close range and you try to hit her after, you will be stuffed by standing MP MP EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. SO DO NOT PRESS ANYTHING. Another Example: when Lily does wind clad condor spire, she is plus +1 on block. If she presses st.lk, which is 4 frames, anything you press WILL BE BEAT IT OUT, SO DO NOT PRESS ANYTHING UNLESS IT IS AN INVINCIBLE REVERSAL ATTACK. BLOCK. You WILL get hit every single time, and this fact does not change no matter what. Respect the frame data, and then you can cultivate strategy that yields consistent winning habits. "Damn, she's +1 right here and in my face. I don't want to deal with that, so let me Drive Reversal to get her off me." Stuff like that.

- Losing is your fault always: not your opponent, not the character you play, and not the character they use. The latter is especially the case, because if the reason you are losing is their character, why aren't you playing them as well if the point of the game is to win? Can't have your cake and eat it too. If they're that overpowered and braindead and anybody can win with them, YOU do it then. Might find yourself surprised that it's not as easy as it looks no matter what character you play. Take accountability for your defeat and accept that your opponent is trying to beat you just as bad as you're trying to beat them. Nobody is entitled to a win. Even Punk, Mena, or the Birds can get caught slipping.

- The correct way to block JP's level 2 super is to block the first strike high or low(doesn't matter), the 2nd strike high, the 3rd strike low, and the last strike high. JP is an overwhelmingly powerful character even if you know what he can do, but not being aware is pretty much a guaranteed loss, so go practice blocking that in training mode.

- Chun Li does NOT have a throw loop. Anytime Chun Li grabs you and drive rushes after, you can punish her, so keep that in mind. Honda does not have one either. As far as I know, everyone else in the game does.

- Do not let Ryu continue to spam qcb+punch in block strings. That's a free drive impact if you scout it. He can't do anything about it.

- Practice punishing Kimberly's Overdrive teleport. It can be sniped out of the air every single time consistently, so do not let them get away with it. As someone who is actually good with the character, I can tell you now that most Kimberly players have poor fundamentals and rely on gimmicks that aren't actually solid if practiced against. Also practice dealing with her elbow drop (jump, down+medium punch). It's very good, and I've won countless games from people thinking I'm jumping behind them only to land in front of them. Also, Kimberly is particularly susceptible to parry, so keep that option in mind anytime she drive rushes at you to avoid the back+hk/down+mk mix up. They obviously can throw you to counter that, but most will not start with that in mind.

Oh, and Kimberly has the worst defensive options in the game. Until she gets level 3, she is helpless against your attacking her on her wake up(the term for when someone is rising from getting knocke down). Her level 1 super is a fake reversal. If you pressure her with crouching light punch, it will recover BEFORE her Level 1 makes contact with you, giving you a free punish.

- Manon is NEVER PLUS FRAMES ON BLOCK UNLESS SHE USES DRIVE RUSH. Everything she has is negative frames, so be confident in using fast pokes (such as crouching light punch) to take your turn back after you block anything she does.

- Marisa's counter loses to throws and her backdash is weak, so you should be throwing her quite a lot, as she is helpless to it until she gets level 2 super. Also, parry her punches as much as you can, as she shaves a ton of Drive Gauge everytime she makes contact.

- Know that anytime someone is cornered, their chances of jumping are much higher, ESPECIALLY in this game with Drive Impact guaranteeing damage. Adjust your mental stack to look for jumps in the corner even more than before, and don't rush into Drive Impact every time. Use the THREAT of them knowing you have it to punish them as they helplessly try to get out. @Khalil's_Black_Excellence is very good at doing this.

I'll add more later. If anyone has any questions feel free to hit me up. I'm not some elite player, but I'm definitely way above average, so I can probably help.

Last edited: