The Official Stand-Up Comedy Thread.

End Cruelty

Yuffie butter!
Daps
Reppin
Gaia
bout to up a mic if anybody wants to judge a set.

and are we gonna go ahead and make a group, comics?

NonPareil

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've got 5 booked gigs this month and two for July already. Doing my first black club wednesday, the flier for the show is fukking hilarious with me on it.

One of the July shows is asking me to do thirty mins, to date I've never done more than 15. Crowd work time

End Cruelty

Yuffie butter!
Daps
Reppin
Gaia
I've got 5 booked gigs this month and two for July already. Doing my first black club wednesday, the flier for the show is fukking hilarious with me on it.

One of the July shows is asking me to do thirty mins, to date I've never done more than 15. Crowd work time

good job, man. i meant to bump this last week because i friend of mine got me a guest spot at a decent comedy club. best 4 minutes of my career so far.

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
:)
What y'all doing? Anything interesting?

I'm trying to get 10 more clean minutes...anybody want to share their definition of clean? :lupe:

NonPareil

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
you've gotten so much better from the first few pages :ehh:

congrats breh :salute:
Thanks, its appreciated. I feel like I haven't gotten a video of a really clean set I'm comfortable with up for you guys. Gonna start recording straight audio so I can do it myself.

Just gotta keep going up though, trying stuff out and gaining confidence

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
To me, a clean comic doesn't rely on curses or talk about anything vulgar. Or if they do, they're not explicit about it

That's what I thought too but I'm starting to have people tell me I can't talk about race. It's not a part of my set at all...but something seems a little fishy with that to me. It seems like that rules out many black comedians. Not like these are big clubs or anything but I still don't like it.

NonPareil

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
To the people who do it, or are just involved... how many people in your local scene do you see and legitimately think "damn, they could make it" ??

My city's fairly small with it, maybe 50-75 comics who are regular at the mics, and out of that there's only a couple who I've thought have that real potential to be on tv one day. I guess I'm just curious with other places howany people are trying to make it versus just having fun, because I consider myself a hobbyist out of realism. I take all the paid work I'm offered though

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
To the people who do it, or are just involved... how many people in your local scene do you see and legitimately think "damn, they could make it" ??

My city's fairly small with it, maybe 50-75 comics who are regular at the mics, and out of that there's only a couple who I've thought have that real potential to be on tv one day. I guess I'm just curious with other places howany people are trying to make it versus just having fun, because I consider myself a hobbyist out of realism. I take all the paid work I'm offered though

Living here it's hard to tell because a lot of comedians are working and/or vets. Also with so many newbies and transients in Vegas, you never know who's going to make it. I definitely am pursuing this as a career but I try to have as much fun as possible. There are a bunch of talented folks that might not make it because their acts are so blue so I'm starting to clean up a lot more.

I wasn't particularly dirty to begin with but these vegas crowds expect that a lot of times. It just makes my clean stuff that much stronger.

And I wouldn't tell folks it's just a hobby just because they take comedy so seriously. Considering their potential alone, at an open mic with 20 comics:

5 could make it...7 are already on the road, 1 is great but too blue, 7 are burnouts, hacks, or just in it for personal reasons. We all have fun though.

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Just finished hosting the best open mic in vegas. So packed that people were sitting on the floor. It feels good to move up and help out. Win/win.