The Official Stand-Up Comedy Thread.

Superstar
Daps
you might be a crazy open micer. i just wanna focus on this one statement real quick.
so you say you have a solid 15 if you do it at a "conversational pace"? then you say that it isnt stuff that kills just stuff that works. you follow up that with saying you tend to not use stuff that just works (???) and then you put a cherry on top with saying that no one is giving you 15 minute sets.

It's not complicated bruh, and I'm not lying. I just got asked this question by a dude about to turn working pro who's seen me go up a lot and he's like, "So you probably have about 15 minutes now, huh?"

Yes, I "have" fifteen minutes if I start off doing some crowd joke about the bar, do shyt at a conversational pace, and then literally do everything I know that's ever worked. But no one here gives me fifteen minutes. Why? Because this is a college town, and the people running the mics are like the same dudes who have been doing this for a minimum of 2-3 years. I've been doing it for less than a year, so I don't get more than 5-7 at any of the good mics. I just don't. No matter how well I do. That's an unwritten rule. So yeah, If I want to impress, I don't use all the extra shyt that just "works." I run the tightest, funniest 5 minutes I have at that point on time. If I combine all the shyt I've done in the past 10-11 months, I could probably do a 15 min set with that. But some of it will be REALLY funny, and most of the shyt will just be moderately funny or chuckle-worthy. I'd call that "solid" at this point. :kanyeshrug:

If I improve, I may chuck all of that shyt completely. In fact, I hope that happens. But I'm not lying about anything.

ugksam

The White King TuT
Daps
It's not complicated bruh, and I'm not lying. I just got asked this question by a dude about to turn working pro who's seen me go up a lot and he's like, "So you probably have about 15 minutes now, huh?"

Yes, I "have" fifteen minutes if I start off doing some crowd joke about the bar, do shyt at a conversational pace, and then literally do everything I know that's ever worked. But no one here gives me fifteen minutes. Why? Because this is a college town, and the people running the mics are like the same dudes who have been doing this for a minimum of 2-3 years. I've been doing it for less than a year, so I don't get more than 5-7 at any of the good mics. I just don't. No matter how well I do. That's an unwritten rule. So yeah, If I want to impress, I don't use all the extra shyt that just "works." I run the tightest, funniest 5 minutes I have at that point on time. If I combine all the shyt I've done in the past 10-11 months, I could probably do a 15 min set with that. But some of it will be REALLY funny, and most of the shyt will just be moderately funny or chuckle-worthy. I'd call that "solid" at this point. :kanyeshrug:

If I improve, I may chuck all of that shyt completely. In fact, I hope that happens. But I'm not lying about anything.
so 5 minutes of it would be really funny and 10 minutes of it would be not that good? so it would be like a bad 15 minute set?

dont feel bad that you dont have a good 15 minute set 10 months in, no one who is doing it that long has a good 15 minute set.

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
:)
i think that if you're going to claim the time, it should be time that you can get paid for. if you can't get paid for 15 minutes then you really don't have it. from what i've seen and heard, if you don't have 35 minutes, then you surely don't have 15...if that makes sense. even if you do have a great 15 minutes, i wouldn't go around bragging about it especially with your level of experience. people are going to roll their eyes and you shouldn't be surprised @MyGawdThePower

Superstar
Daps
so 5 minutes of it would be really funny and 10 minutes of it would be not that good? so it would be like a bad 15 minute set?

dont feel bad that you dont have a good 15 minute set 10 months in, no one who is doing it that long has a good 15 minute set.

Yeah, basically. A mediocre 15 minutes.

I don't feel bad about it at all. When I started, none of it was good. :manny:

Superstar
Daps
also dont be so competitive with your fellow open micers and dont steal legend's material, thats fukk boy shyt

Lol, it's not like I spat in the guy's face. He did a good job and had funny bits. I shook his hand and told him he did a good job, which he did. But I've gotta believe I'm funnier. That's my only incentive to write new shyt. :manny:

NonPareil

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
lol yeah. competition between comics is like poison. I'm green as shyt and as soon as i stopped worrying about being better than this guy or that guy, and just going up and doing my jokes, i started doing a lot better. I did the same thing about bigging up my material too, Sam called me out on it the same way :yeshrug: i deserved it :laugh:

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
lol yeah. competition between comics is like poison. I'm green as shyt and as soon as i stopped worrying about being better than this guy or that guy, and just going up and doing my jokes, i started doing a lot better. I did the same thing about bigging up my material too, Sam called me out on it the same way :yeshrug: i deserved it :laugh:

he's right tho. and one of the realest things i've ever heard is that no one is funnier than anyone else. it should be in the stand-up bible.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Had probably my best set ever last night. I was proud of it too, because I went up without having an idea what I was going to do. When I had my shyt together, the dude two before me did VERY similar material, so I had to switch it up, did about half my set just freestyling it with material I'd never tried before and closed with a joke I know works.

Got a lot of props from the local regulars
I was at that show, you fukkin sucked :camby:
I was waiting for you to go "Welp, its time I hit the old dusty trail"

Superstar
Daps
he's right tho. and one of the realest things i've ever heard is that no one is funnier than anyone else. it should be in the stand-up bible.

I mean, I get the worth of that advice. But again, I'm like scheming and shytting on people. Just setting benchmarks. Like if I see a guy get a huge response I think to myself, "that's the kind of response I need to work towards. I need to sit down and improve my material."

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I mean, I get the worth of that advice. But again, I'm like scheming and shytting on people. Just setting benchmarks. Like if I see a guy get a huge response I think to myself, "that's the kind of response I need to work towards. I need to stand-up and improve my material."

fixed. :krs:

you really aren't in competition with anyone and someone else's progress shouldn't get to you that much, especially since you're just starting out. you should be focusing on finding your voice and honing your skills, imho.