The Official Stand-Up Comedy Thread.

Superstar
Daps
fixed. :krs:

you really aren't in competition with anyone and someone else's progress shouldn't get to you that much, especially since you're just starting out. you should be focusing on finding your voice and honing your skills, imho.

I just noticed how similar your new avatar is to mine. :wtf:

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
And I followed that dusty trail all the way to your used mattress. /Rimshot.wav
While I did chuckle at your reply, you do know you just used the equivalent of a "save" when you go the mattress route
So my throw away's had you on the ropes :banderas:

I'm about to talk to Sampson, then we will continue this. May the best man win :handshake:

Superstar
Daps
I just watched the new Stanhope special on Netflix.

fukking insane how good he is. If you haven't seen it yet, you need to.

ugksam

The White King TuT
Daps
i went to an open mic tonight and there wasnt much of an audience but i got some free drinks and did some new stuff and got some laughs and now im drunk so who even cares

True Blue Moon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
VA. Living in the City of Angels
Moms made me do stand up at her office party she hosted last night. I did well, and a whole lot of crowd work. One of her employees had a really nice booty and came in interrupting my set taking pictures and whatnot, so I made a joke about how wonderful her ass looked in that dress :ahhh:

Won the crowd and got some nice drinks after. First time moms got to see me perform, so that was cool letting her into my world. And it made me realize that since this is my chosen way of life, I'm not the "funny guy" in the family, like if I could sing, they'd want me to sing at every gathering. It'll probably get annoying, but feels good in a way for right now.

NonPareil

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anybody in here ever mess with improv? Ive had a few people tell me my style would work well at it, but it doesnt seem like my thing. Could be fun though

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
:)
Anybody in here ever mess with improv? Ive had a few people tell me my style would work well at it, but it doesnt seem like my thing. Could be fun though

been trained by some good folks since i was about 14-15. i actually need to get back into it as far as getting paid goes. it's how i got into stand-up. what you wanna know?

NonPareil

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
been trained by some good folks since i was about 14-15. i actually need to get back into it as far as getting paid goes. it's how i got into stand-up. what you wanna know?
How's it compare to you versus doing standup? The other thing is just getting into it, cause I know with standup you can find open mics to get work.

It seems like it would help though, cause right now my weakest point is crowd work and going off the cuff

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
How's it compare to you versus doing standup? The other thing is just getting into it, cause I know with standup you can find open mics to get work.

It seems like it would help though, cause right now my weakest point is crowd work and going off the cuff

i would see if there are any troupes in your area or start your own group with 2-5 other people. i enjoyed doing improv because the goal wasn't always to be funny and the preparation was minimal. there are skills that go into it and basic rules to follow if you want to be a good improvisational player. i still enjoy stand up better because the folks that gravitate towards improv tend to be pretentious fukking dorks that can go fukk themselves. goddamn dweebs. also, i like the feeling of being on my own.

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
i posted this on r/standup but i figured i ask the brehs, too.

I have a show coming up on NYE and I'm pretty sure it's going to go horribly. Not because of my material or stage fright, but due to the lack of coordination from the people running the event. I know I should be happy that I'm getting booked and that experience is golden. All of it!

I'm just wondering if anyone else has felt like this and how those situations turned out.

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ughh...i went from 5 mics a week to barely hittin one in this holiday season. it's understandable but i feel like i'm getting rusty. i need that constant grind back. can't wait for the fukkin semester to start so i can never be home.

i'ma have to keep baby wipes or something with me at all times.