The Official Stand-Up Comedy Thread.

ugksam

The White King TuT
Daps
Lol, no! I live in a college town and the pool of dedicated open micers who have enough material to feature is really small. This club does not feature us like, EVERY week. But eventually, everyone does. If that makes sense.
are you a horrible hack tho?

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
:)
Let's talk about saves:

When you tell a joke that absolutely whiffs, what save do you tack on at the end? Sometimes, I use the the Mitch Hedberg line, "That joke was funnier than you reacted."

i don't :cape: for jokes.

:birdman:

if it's not down to be funny after i've written it, taken it out to dinner, and pour drinks down it's throat i just move on to the next one. if it's convenient i might call back later.

bahahaha...

Superstar
Daps
are you a horrible hack tho?

I'd like to think I'm not. I have a solid 5, 10, and 15.

But I've been doing this shyt for less than a year (will be one year in Feb). So I think I'm in a good place.

Superstar
Daps
i don't :cape: for jokes.

:birdman:

if it's not down to be funny after i've written it, taken it out to dinner, and pour drinks down it's throat i just move on to the next one. if it's convenient i might call back later.

bahahaha...

:manny:

Keeping it moving is the main thing, but saves are usually only one sentence and pretty simple.

ugksam

The White King TuT
Daps
damn in the last couple posts this guy has claimed to have lost a contest to someone he is funnier than, claim he has a "solid" 15 minutes only 10 months in the game, and that he knowingly uses a legendary comic's line on stage.
yep

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
damn in the last couple posts this guy has claimed to have lost a contest to someone he is funnier than, claim he has a "solid" 15 minutes only 10 months in the game, and that he knowingly uses a legendary comic's line on stage.
yep

get 'em! :whew:

NonPareil

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If a joke bombs I just shyt on myself. I like carrying a sad depressed vibe and talking down tge audience isn't gonna win them back unless you're flawless with it

NonPareil

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Had probably my best set ever last night. I was proud of it too, because I went up without having an idea what I was going to do. When I had my shyt together, the dude two before me did VERY similar material, so I had to switch it up, did about half my set just freestyling it with material I'd never tried before and closed with a joke I know works.

Got a lot of props from the local regulars

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
a friend of mine in the from the vegas scene has started a social networking site for comics. it's just now getting started but i figure if you're on the coli, you've probably got some to time to check this site out.

www.laughaddix.net

help us get active and build up the scene beyond our neighborhood.

Superstar
Daps
yep

:stopitslime:

Yes, I have a "solid" 15 minutes if I do everything I have that works at a conversational pace. Not stuff that kills, Just stuff that works. I tend not to use the stuff that just "works" because I want to polish it, and besides no one's giving me 15 minutes of time.

Yes, I DID lose to someone I think I'm funnier than, considering it was audience vote and he brought friends, whereas I didn't.

And yes, I use a generic save that goes "that joke was funnier than you reacted," which is attributed to Hedberg.

If you have a problem with any of those things, I cordially invite you to eat a dikk.

Superstar
Daps
a friend of mine in the from the vegas scene has started a social networking site for comics. it's just now getting started but i figure if you're on the coli, you've probably got some to time to check this site out.

www.laughaddix.net

help us get active and build up the scene beyond our neighborhood.

I'm guessing membership on there is mostly Vegas guys, yes?

ugksam

The White King TuT
Daps
Yes, I have a "solid" 15 minutes if I do everything I have that works at a conversational pace. Not stuff that kills, Just stuff that works. I tend not to use the stuff that just "works" because I want to polish it, and besides no one's giving me 15 minutes of time.
you might be a crazy open micer. i just wanna focus on this one statement real quick.
so you say you have a solid 15 if you do it at a "conversational pace"? then you say that it isnt stuff that kills just stuff that works. you follow up that with saying you tend to not use stuff that just works (???) and then you put a cherry on top with saying that no one is giving you 15 minute sets.

so how again do you have 15 minutes?

i just dont understand why people lie about being able to do more time than you can actually do, how would that be helpful to you at all?

@Billy Costigan you faggy buddy is always spamming that site on the austin facebook groups, is that site even useful for anything?

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@Billy Costigan you faggy buddy is always spamming that site on the austin facebook groups, is that site even useful for anything?

oh word? that's funny :dead:

he's just trying to get the shyt off the ground. he's hit me up about it a few times because he's trying to get the ball rolling. he just changed up the look but i haven't been on it long enough to know how useful it is. i believe that if enough of the right folks sign-up it could be awesome.