The Official Sports Card Discussion Thread

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
I’m sure this discussion has come up here in the past, but what are your takes on what qualifies as a “rookie card”?

For a lot vintage stuff; stamps, playing cards, matchbox covers, and etc. are the first “cards” released for athletes/entertainers. I’ll see them listed on TCDB, but should they be in consideration if they weren’t intentionally made to be a trading card?
Everyone's definition is different. It used to just mean first printed card. In the 2000s, it turned into first card with RC logo on it.

There was a huge debate about Julio Rodriguez and Wander Franco because technically, their first rookie card was 2021 Bowman's Best but it doesn't have the RC logo, so it got everyone in a tizzy because they gave them the logos for 2022 products.

En Sabah Nur

The First
Daps
Reppin
Survival of the fittest
11917539.jpeg
WTF is that card sitting on?
:dame::sitdown:

Mantle Drunk

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
Hey I figured you guys might be able to help me. I bought these cards during the height of the pandemic just for the fukk of it. My friend recently got some cards graded and I said fukk it throw these 4 cards in. I went to eBay and really couldn’t find sold items of the cards I got. I see how much people are selling them for but I know that doesn’t mean much. I know they’re not the most desirable cards these players have. But any suggestions on how much I can sell them for or a site that can help me price them?

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Hey I figured you guys might be able to help me. I bought these cards during the height of the pandemic just for the fukk of it. My friend recently got some cards graded and I said fukk it throw these 4 cards in. I went to eBay and really couldn’t find sold items of the cards I got. I see how much people are selling them for but I know that doesn’t mean much. I know they’re not the most desirable cards these players have. But any suggestions on how much I can sell them for or a site that can help me price them?

For unlicensed cards, your best bet is to run a $0.99 auction on eBay and let it roll.

Daps
Seller lists a card at $799 starting price for auction, the card gets no bids. I offer him $650 the day before the auction ends, he refuses and says he’s not taking anything under $799 and will be keeping it otherwise.

A week later he re-lists it at $300 starting price and I end up winning it for $660… congrats on those 10 extra bucks:mjpls:

TM101

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I made my first degen purchase, bought a NT Kyle Trask RPA.
Kyle-Trask-RPA.jpg
He's the only QB from the stacked 2021 and if history repeats itself (he was benched in HS and college) he will do pretty well once he gets a chance.

Also bought an Aliyah Boston 1st Bowman Gold Auto
aliyah-boston-1st-Bowman.jpg

Talented player who won ROY, I think 1st Bowman college autos become more valuable once Topps gets the licenses in 2025.

Only cost $120 after taxes and shipping, a decent pickup that could 2-3x in the near future.

Last edited:

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
I made my first degen purchase, bought a NT Kyle Trask RPA.
Kyle-Trask-RPA.jpg
He's the only QB from the stacked 2021 and if history repeats itself (he was benched in HS and college) he will do pretty well once he gets a chance.

Also bought an Aliyah Boston 1st Bowman Gold Auto
aliyah-boston-1st-Bowman.jpg

Talented player who won ROY, I think 1st Bowman college autos become more valuable once Topps gets the licenses in 2025.

Only cost $120 after taxes and shipping, a decent pickup that could 2-3x in the near future.

I don't know anything about Trask but that's not a bad purchase. If he does pan out down the road or even has a hot stretch at some point in the future, you'll have a nice come up.

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY

NBA hoops with players real jerseys dropping later this month, these draft pick cards boxes ain’t worth it since the prices drop once their official rookie cards get released. The only upside is that you can pull a serial numbered card of his. The Only Wemby card I got at the moment is his Topps Now card but I didn’t pay much.

https://www.topps.com/media/catalog...910d7cb2b403fe/a/r/artbk-16c2s-23tn-wemby.png

artbk-16c2s-23tn-wemby.png

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps