Superstar
Daps

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
I aint gonna lie, since yesterday night, I had this song on repeat.

I thought the movie elevated itself during the scene where this song played. Whole scene felt like something Scorsese wouldve done.

Breh that scene was beautiful. :wow:

Made me wish I lived in that era.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Just saw it and I agree with a lot of what’s said in here

This is definitely toned back Spike Lee

If you think it’s too preachy you don’t know or like spike lee films

It’s pretty comparable to Django or a tarintino film. It has that feel that tarintino does well

I think spike finally stepped out his comfort zone on this

It was definitely more of a comedy but pretty on point and informative and honest with the historical stuff

It was shot pretty well and the screen play and actors were all pretty good.

Music was good as always with Spikes movies

The dialogue really keeps it going and Denzel son And the guy playing David Duke were great characters especially their phone scenes

I don’t know if it was intended but it really made Duke appear to be a “nice racist” and likable guy even if Denzel son was just deceiving him.

My favorite part was their conversations.

The whole idea of influtrating and knowing the psyche of the klan is what made the movie interesting and special

————————-

A few things I DIDNT like or understand about this film

What’s Spike trying to say about Jews and Blacks being in the same struggle?

Why was there an ITALLIAN/LATINO guy in the KKK? :patrice:

Other than the Jewish guy and the Jewish hating kkk member no characters had much depth nor did the movie have any time
To develop characters

The black student union scenes weren’t great

He could’ve went deeper into the struggles of what it was like to be black at the time although the party scenes, style and outfits were well done

And I feel like spider man girl friend was an OK actor I think she could’ve done better or her and Denzel son relationship could’ve been explored more.

This movie really had no type of a “love story” except for the sake of it

Like someone said this movie wasn’t as blunt or vulgar as a typical spike lee film

No sex or violence or really harsh language other than the all the n words and hate talk which is expected

The ending wasn’t powerful it was kinda predictable and “cheesy”

Like someone said it was Hollywood and the whole comparing it to today was a little preachy and NOT in the way that spike lee was known for

People clapped at the ending and it was like a feel good “let’s all come together” and end racism and hate trump moment that been played out and kinda forced.

I DID like the harry belafonte Part. That was vintage spike and a memorable schene that I think movie goes will remember most.

Overall it’s like an 8 to me.

And like some of you said WHITE people appear to love it.

I CANT see it being a blockbuster hit in the black community or be in the same category with his true classics like

Do the right thing, he got game, clockers, X, crooklyn, but it’s much better than his recent movies (chiraq, sweet blood, red hook summer, etc...) I guess....

I still think Netflix she’s gotta have it is great and better this movie (if you’re a spike fan).

Also not many cameos of the typical spike lee actors in this movie

I was expecting to see Tom Byrd pop up at some point :hubie:

Breh this is a mainstream spike lee film like inside man.

But no matter what I will give it to spike because once again only he would tackle this story and actually get it made.

blankstairz

Superstar
Daps
Breh this is a mainstream spike lee film like inside man.

But no matter what I will give it to spike because once again only he would tackle this story and actually get it made.

Spike really hasn't had this type of platform and funding for his type of film since maybe Malcolm X.

Having Peele and Blumhouse on board helped.

The times of today have called for Spike's voice as an auteur again too. Without having to also focus on funding/budget/raising money for the film this time around, Spike can just do his thing. Spike is right at home with this type of film.

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
GOOD MOVIE.. UNFORTUNATELY, HAD TO SIT IN THE SECOND ROW, SO DIDNT REALLY GET INTO IT LIKE I COULDA, BUT IT WAS UNDENIABLE, REGARDLESS

I actually found similarities between the KKK and Black Power prep rallies in the movie. I don’t know if Spike even realizes what he did. Basically you have a bunch of broke rural whites who blame Blacks and Jews for their economic condition. The part that caught my eye was when the undercover cop was told he had to buy his Klan outfit and pay his dues (A money scheme similar to what the Nazis made their members do). In all the KKK meetings they focused on their “enemy”. Much of the same could be said of the Black Power rallies in the film. They talked about the enemy and nothing about economic empowerment.

I NOTICED THIS TOO .. SURPRISED SPIKE DID THAT. WHEN THEY SEQUENCED FROM “THE WHITE POWER” CHANTS STRAIGHT INTO THE “BLACK POWER” CHANTS - IT WAS BASICALLY COMIN OFF LIKE HE WAS PRESENTING BOTH SIDES AS OPPOSITE EXTREMES WITH THE SAME BASIC PRINCIPLES. STRANGE.

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
GOOD MOVIE.. UNFORTUNATELY, HAD TO SIT IN THE SECOND ROW, SO DIDNT REALLY GET INTO IT LIKE I COULDA, BUT IT WAS UNDENIABLE, REGARDLESS

I NOTICED THIS TOO .. SURPRISED SPIKE DID THAT. WHEN THEY SEQUENCED FROM “THE WHITE POWER” CHANTS STRAIGHT INTO THE “BLACK POWER” CHANTS - IT WAS BASICALLY COMIN OFF LIKE HE WAS PRESENTING BOTH SIDES AS OPPOSITE EXTREMES WITH THE SAME BASIC PRINCIPLES. STRANGE.
That’s why there’s that scene at the end of the movie
with the intercutting of Harry Belafontes Story about Jesse and the KKK induction definitely defines the difference between White Power and Black Power.

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
What’s Spike trying to say about Jews and Blacks being in the same struggle?

JEWS ARE NUMBER 1 ENEMY OF THE KLAN

HOW DO U NOT KNOW THIS??

Why was there an ITALLIAN/LATINO guy in the KKK? :patrice:

THIS WAS WEIRD TO ME TOO

People clapped at the ending and it was like a feel good “let’s all come together” and end racism and hate trump moment that been played out and kinda forced.

AGREED