Essential The Official Photography Thread

VladTheImpaler

The Sensational Prince
Daps
Reppin
The Palace of Eternal Sun
Brehs, for those of you who use a blog or site to host/lay out your photography...which ones do you like the best. Of course the usual sites like flickr/wordpress etc... but are there any others that you all like?

ridge

Daps
@JoelB @spinoza

What things besides portrait shots can I excel with in a 50mm 1.8 lens?

I'm interested in night shots, city pictures etc

Last edited by a moderator:

VladTheImpaler

The Sensational Prince
Daps
Reppin
@JoelB @spinoza

50mm 1.8 is a very solid prime lens. Pretty sharp. I would suggest getting some good bokeh in nature shots. This prime is more flexible than many may think. Its now fall so you can get some good stuff with leaves, trees, park benches, etc.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I'm a get a prime lens next, do lenses typically drop in price on Black Friday like other electronics?

VladTheImpaler

The Sensational Prince
Daps
Reppin
I'm a get a prime lens next, do lenses typically drop in price on Black Friday like other electronics?

not typically. Photog equipment typically stays same price. If you see things on Black Friday you may find cam/lense bundles but I have not seen many quality lenses available. Maybe this will change.

:manny:

ridge

Daps
50mm 1.8 is a very solid prime lens. Pretty sharp. I would suggest getting some good bokeh in nature shots. This prime is more flexible than many may think. Its now fall so you can get some good stuff with leaves, trees, park benches, etc.

the aperture means i can take some pretty cool night shots no?

or am i wrong

JoelB

All Praise To TMH
Daps
Reppin
PHI 2 ATL
@JoelB @spinoza

the 50mm is good for portraits because u can drop that aperture and get that nice shallow depth of field

tumblr_maj1hdYYdx1rvgla2o1_1280.jpg

That was done with my 50mm 1.4 and u can see the trees in the back are out of focus allowing ol girl to pop more. Had this been a night scene with lights the bokeh would have been :ohlawd:

As a walk around lense its cool too but because we both have crop sensors that 50mm is more like an 75-80mm and that might not be wide enough if you wanna capture some action around u on the street...I missed quite a few shots that way, thats why I picked up a wide angle lense.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

or am i wrong

The aperture controls how wide the lens gets. You'll get more light with a lower aperture. So when you're talking about night shots or low lit shots the lower the better.

It's also the setting used for defocusing and focusing the background around your subject.

I'm a noob at this shyt, so I could be wrong

:manny:

ridge

Daps
the 50mm is good for portraits because u can drop that aperture and get that nice shallow depth of field

tumblr_maj1hdYYdx1rvgla2o1_1280.jpg

That was done with my 50mm 1.4 and u can see the trees in the back are out of focus allowing ol girl to pop more. Had this been a night scene with lights the bokeh would have been :ohlawd:

As a walk around lense its cool too but because we both have crop sensors that 50mm is more like an 75-80mm and that might not be wide enough if you wanna capture some action around u on the street...I missed quite a few shots that way, thats why I picked up a wide angle lense.

yea iv ebeen enjoying the 18-55mm kit lens i have and ill pick one up soon

but wiht the joint ihave now the 50mm, i wanna take pics of people primarily but night time etc...with like night scene bokeh a you said. i have ome ideas

my lens will be good for that, correct?

VladTheImpaler

The Sensational Prince
Daps
Reppin

or am i wrong

Well in theory a 1.8 is considered fairly fast glass. Also your camera's sensor plays a roll in how much iso is needed to help with image quality. 1.8 is a good start but other factors come into place as well. I would assume you have a pretty solid cam so you should be ready to rock with night shots.

ridge

Daps
Well in theory a 1.8 is considered fairly fast glass. Also your camera's sensor plays a roll in how much iso is needed to help with image quality. 1.8 is a good start but other factors come into place as well. I would assume you have a pretty solid cam so you should be ready to rock with night shots.

canon t2i

wutang512

Banned
Daps
Reppin

Camera lenses dropping in price are damn near non-existent. If your not bidding on Ebay or talking down prices on Craigslist then you'll be out of luck when it comes to brand new retail lenses.