Essential The Official Photography Thread

Daps
what you guys think of canon rebel t3i. trying to get into photography

Not a bad camera. I'm PRETTY sure the t3i, t4i, and t5i all use the same sensor. In fact I think every crop sensor camera canon has made up until the new 70D all have the same sensor, so the only thing that is different is a few control features. The t3i is a great camera to learn on though. If I were starting out I would get a camera in that price range, fukk the kit lens that comes with it, and buy a 50mm 1.8 (or 1.4 if you got it like that)

The kit lenses they sell with cameras are pretty shytty usually. Good glass is more important than anything really IMO.

Daps
I think the t3i is pretty much the lowest entry-level body they make. The 50mm 1.8 is pretty cheap, and not the most rugged lens but it is sharp and it's a great first lens. A lot of people starting out are tempted to get the zoom lens thats offered as a kit with a camera, usually the 18-55 or something but they are pieces of shyt. a t3/4/5i and a 50mm lens is a great start into photography.

Raiders

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I think the t3i is pretty much the lowest entry-level body they make. The 50mm 1.8 is pretty cheap, and not the most rugged lens but it is sharp and it's a great first lens. A lot of people starting out are tempted to get the zoom lens thats offered as a kit with a camera, usually the 18-55 or something but they are pieces of shyt. a t3/4/5i and a 50mm lens is a great start into photography.
the lowest body from canon is the T3, I would advise getting the T3i tho if you have a few more bucks, because you will want to upgrade from the T3 after like a month or two.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Would it be dumb to start photography even if I don't get out the house much ? I don't see myself going out and taking pictures and stuff, but I really want to try it
:what: then do it, if that's what you wanna do

:upsetfavre: you already talkin yoself out of attempting it

Last edited:
Daps
granted you haven't even started really fukking with photography much, but I see this attitude all the time. I see a lot of people that have nice camera equipment and at least know enough about exposure to take a decent photo but they don't get out there and do that work that it takes to get good photos. It really depends on what kind of photography you're into, I mostly shoot landscapes. People are always complaining that they don't get the photos they want but they don't hustle to get them! I'm fukking staying up until 5am to shoot photos of the milky way rising or hiking mountains in -10 weather to get the photos that I want.

Not saying that you're like that but I just see this shyt all the time

Daps
I feel you, i want to do that, thats why I really want to start photography so i can have something to do and make me go outside the house. I live in a boring ass town, i don't think ill get good pictures lol

It for sure motivates me to go out and do more shyt. I wouldn't be hiking no mountains at 4am when its below zero outside if it wasn't for photography.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
I found a really good deal on a Nikon D5100 ($385, comes with 18-55mm kit manual and og box) but idk if I want to cop cause it seems like everyone has Canon and I read that Nikon can't use Canon lenses. What you think I should do ?
doesn't matter what anyone else has, just cop what you want based on your budget and what you want it to be able to do

i've seen people take shytty, grainy ass 1999 Nokia level photo's with expensive ass cameras cuz they cared more about the brand name than what they were actually planning on using the camera for

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I think I might upgrade to Sony's a6000 when it drops brehs

:lupe:

They're touting it as having the fastest auto focus for mirrorless cameras, I'm waiting to see how the low-light performance is on it, but I think it might be the one

:noah:

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Got that A7r homie. That's the only mirrorless camera I'd consider buying
Yeah, I been keeping my eye on that A7 and A7r, but... that shyt is expensive, and I'm not really feeling the form factor on it. I want to see what the successor looks like though.

The a6000 may not be full frame but it's looking like a beast and I'm feeling the look of it.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Yeah, I been keeping my eye on that A7 and A7r, but... that shyt is expensive, and I'm not really feeling the form factor on it. I want to see what the successor looks like though.

The a6000 may not be full frame but it's looking like a beast and I'm feeling the look of it.
just looked up the price of that a7r

:what::whoo::why::whew:::damn: