Essential The Official Photography Thread

Mike Ock

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The World, but from BK

That f/5.6 gets annoying when you're zooming in though. I got an old 28-135 f/3.5-5.6. That 5.6 threw a good amount of my pics off for concerts once sun started going down or lights lowered. But for that price and it being a telephoto, its def fukwitable.

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
This Carl Zeiss lense is the Truth, friends. :gladbron: I've had this camera a year and never used manual focus :russ: :whoo: @ these pictures when i zoom in, That quality, its so pure.

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Are you getting paid to take these photos, friend because that camera shutter on the nex is like ChEEH CHEEH!!!!
I've got paid for some videos I've shot for a friend.

I'm in the process of putting together a tumblr page to be used as my photography site/portfolio. The pic a day challenge that I'm doing was just a step to force myself to get to know my camera better and improve my eye for photography. I've also learned a ton about composing images in the process. Once I get the page/blog up I'll see how it goes as far as doing shoots and shooting stuff for people. I haven't really gotten to that point yet. After all the pics I've taken, I don't even know which ones I would even put in a portfolio.

Mike Ock

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The World, but from BK
I've got paid for some videos I've shot for a friend.

I'm in the process of putting together a tumblr page to be used as my photography site/portfolio. The pic a day challenge that I'm doing was just a step to force myself to get to know my camera better and improve my eye for photography. I've also learned a ton about composing images in the process. Once I get the page/blog up I'll see how it goes as far as doing shoots and shooting stuff for people. I haven't really gotten to that point yet. After all the pics I've taken, I don't even know which ones I would even put in a portfolio.

:salute: @ keeping up with the pic each day thing you got going.

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Post something playboi.
Im going on an expedition with my son tomorrow so while we're out i'll take some snapshots of nothing for friends, friend. :sitdown:

This manual focus is incredible. I can defocus on an opject right in front of me and focus in on a shoe thats way in the background and it comes out clear and crisp. Its so cray. :gladbron:

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Im going on an expedition with my son tomorrow so while we're out i'll take some snapshots of nothing for friends, friend. :sitdown:

This manual focus is incredible. I can defocus on an opject right in front of me and focus in on a shoe thats way in the background and it comes out clear and crisp. Its so cray. :gladbron:
Are you using the magnification manual focus assist option or the focus peaking one?

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Maybe ill just take some pics of my son tonight and post those. :stylin:
Are you using the magnification manual focus assist option or the focus peaking one?
Magnification focus. I had some brain flatulence that there had to be another manual focus option but im not sure how to use it. Currenly, i either let the camera focus for me or i use manual and it then zooms in and i adjust the focus on the area i plan on shooting.

Is there a manual focus to bring the entire photo into clarity? That would be ideal, friend.

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Maybe ill just take some pics of my son tonight and post those. :stylin:

Magnification focus. I had some brain flatulence that there had to be another manual focus option but im not sure how to use it. Currenly, i either let the camera focus for me or i use manual and it then zooms in and i adjust the focus on the area i plan on shooting.

Is there a manual focus to bring the entire photo into clarity? That would be ideal, friend.
Yeah, you don't have to have the cam magnify in when manual focusing. You can change it so you can see the entire frame.

I don't know if the NEX-5 has Focus Peaking, but try looking here...

Menu > Setup > MF Assist (this is the setting that enables or disables the magnification option when manual focusing)

Turn that off if you don't want to zoom and want to see the entire frame.

Go here...

Menu > Setup > Peaking Level / Peaking Color (these are different settings for manual focusing)

This option will seem strange at first, but what this does is highlight in a specific color (I chose yellow) what is currently in focus on the LCD screen. It basically allows you to frame the shot and see what's exactly in focus while shooting via manual focus. When you turn the focus ring on the lens, you'll see the color move around indicating the focus adjusting.

Good luck, friend

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
say brehs is this a good camera? for a rookie?

Canon Digital Rebel XT 8MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 Lens (Silver)

Crakface

Daps
Reppin
L.A
Yeah, you don't have to have the cam magnify in when manual focusing. You can change it so you can see the entire frame.

I don't know if the NEX-5 has Focus Peaking, but try looking here...

Menu > Setup > MF Assist (this is the setting that enables or disables the magnification option when manual focusing)

Turn that off if you don't want to zoom and want to see the entire frame.

Go here...

Menu > Setup > Peaking Level / Peaking Color (these are different settings for manual focusing)

This option will seem strange at first, but what this does is highlight in a specific color (I chose yellow) what is currently in focus on the LCD screen. It basically allows you to frame the shot and see what's exactly in focus while shooting via manual focus. When you turn the focus ring on the lens, you'll see the color move around indicating the focus adjusting.

Good luck, friend
Coincidentally i have this same camera. I have peaking set to high with the color yellow. When i turn the manual focus knob i see yellow static around the edges of some objects. The photo appears to be in focus. What does this mean though when you see this static in the photograph.