Supporter
Daps
Last edited by a moderator:

craigsagersuit

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Los Sandalous
anyone tried this 100 strangers flickr project? this project seems amazing. not only do you get experience in taking portraits, but it also gives you a chance to step out of your comfort zone and really connect with "strangers".

boutta try this when my new lens and business cards come in 2 weeks :blessed:

About 100 Strangers

The idea: The 100 Strangers project is a learning group intended for those wishing to improve both their social and technical skills needed for taking portraits of strangers and telling their stories. The method is to learn by doing. Your participation will require you to share your experiences with the other members of the group. By providing this invaluable knowledge, everyone, beginners and experienced alike will benefit.

The challenge: Take at least 100 photographs of 100 people you don't know. Approach anyone or a group of people, ask for permission to both take a photo of them and to post it to this group. Get to know your stranger/s. Who are they? What is their life like?

Step out of your comfort zone and into a new level of portrait photography. Start by taking 100 portraits of people you don't know, total strangers. We welcome both beginner and advanced photographers. You may be new to photographing strangers or already have experience with this type of photography. Regardless, everyone is encouraged to take up the challenge.

The project is quite enjoyable and will definitely improve your photojournalistic skills. During the process you might just gain a new appreciation for those around you and enrich your everyday experience . You may even gain a few new friends along the way.

As you progress with the project it will be critical to share your experiences with the other members. This may be a story about the stranger you just met or how you felt making the approach. You may have, for example, tried a new approach, used a new photographic technique or equipment. You are learning by doing, so share with us what youΒ’ve learned while taking on the 100 Stranger project.

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I've seen that on there... it's bold, and it's something I would want to do eventually. Right now I'm cool taking incognito pics

:ninja1:

Kilgore Trout

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
anyone tried this 100 strangers flickr project? this project seems amazing. not only do you get experience in taking portraits, but it also gives you a chance to step out of your comfort zone and really connect with "strangers".

boutta try this when my new lens and business cards come in 2 weeks :blessed:

yeah definitely a good way to get your feet wet.

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Also, for that 100 Stranger thing, if I were to do that I would make sure to have business cards with my info on there for them to view the pics. That would make it easier than sitting there and explaining your photography site name/spelling and all that.

When I was out in Toronto, there was actually a couple walking the streets one night, and out of no where this dude and his girl were making a bet if he could jump up and touch the top of this wall on a building. I literally stopped and took some shots of him doing it. They didn't mind, but that would have been an ideal for me to hand em a card so they could see them later.

:yeshrug:

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
How do you do these "car effects" breh? Always wanted to know. Got a Nikon btw.

You need a tripod or something to sit the cam on.

Then you set the shutter speed slow as shyt and just take the shot. That's where the lights streaming from the cars come from.

craigsagersuit

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Los Sandalous
Also, for that 100 Stranger thing, if I were to do that I would make sure to have business cards with my info on there for them to view the pics. That would make it easier than sitting there and explaining your photography site name/spelling and all that.

yep. ordered some from vista print. they selling 250 cards for 13 bucks w/shipping included already :mj:

this story got me even more hyped to do it :to:

Studio d'Xavier says:

Three years ago, I embarked on my journey through 100 Strangers. My second stranger was Mr. Salvador, who I photographed in his garden..

3523971096_e6d97ed8dc.jpg

A lot has transpired since that time. Today, while I was at the studio, I had a black Escalade pull up outside. I wasn't expecting anyone, but a couple of clients use these vehicles. I opened the door as a man I had never met before exited the vehicle. He asked if I was the photographer who had photographed Mr. Salvador in his garden. The man was his son.

I learned that Mr. Salvador is in critical condition in the hospital. His family does not expect him to survive, and they are preparing for his funeral. His son asked if they might use this portrait for his funeral. He told me Mr. Salvador was a a very reserved man, and nobody had ever captured him as his family knew him. We scrolled through my images on my computer monitor until I found Mr. Salvador, just to make certain I had the right image. Tears came to his sons eyes. "That's my Dad. You can see his joy," he said. I admit I choked up too.

This evening I put Mr. Salvador up on my website so the family can order as many prints as they like. And I felt like my photography was worthwhile. Thank you Mr. Salvador. May God bless you and keep you.