The Official Netflix Marvel's "Luke Cage" Season 1 Thread

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
It's sad that the Mama Mabel flashbacks were infinitely more interesting than any backstory of Luke Cage's. It's sadder that we got so little of them.

Although, in the later episodes, I enjoyed Diamondback's ham and cheese a bit more than the jarring transition at the midpoint of the show, he still was a completely unconvincing character
The transition episode should have been great. However, its clear that the actor/director didn't know how to handle that.

That should have been an Epic moment, but instead it was just cool.

It would have worked better if they never showed him hunting Cage. Keep it mysterious. His first appearance should have been when he did the gun trick and then later on at the mob meeting.

I've rewatched the later episodes. He's noticeably better in those episodes. However, the awkward intro just sticks out. First impressions go a long way......also the final fight (outfit as well) could have been better.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Shades was my PERSONAL favorite.... I mean he's the ONLY MUTHAfukkA that had at least some kind of common sense and everything he don't was spot on and well calculated. He ended up being the biggest WINNER by the end of the series. How can you hate on Shades?
I thought Shades was good. People upset that he's not intimidating are missing the point of his character. He's the dude you don't think should be there or make it that far...but does.

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
51LU-4hu%2BIL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Saw this sitting on his bed in ep 1.

:banderas:

For those unfamiliar.
Favorite book ever. If fills are paying attention this show does drop some great breadcrumbs to black history and excellence, from the arguing about Gaines, Moseley etc, to referring to benign neglect. Shows great on the surface, buy there's even more there if people wanna dig deeper.

Kiyoshi-Dono

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Petty Vandross.. fukk Yall
Nah

Cottonmouth was just a starter boss. He's done. He posed no threat to Cage unlike Mariah and Diamondback which is why they were brought in at the halfway point to change it up. I thought Diamondback would eventually come in and kill him for constantly messing up. Instead they gave it to Mariah which was the show's most shocking moment. No one saw that coming.
The first Cottonmouth has super-strength that rivals Luke Cage. He also has sharp teeth that he had sharpened to resemble fangs. Cottonmouth also has a good knowledge of the different poisons.

Due to bionic reconstruction, the second Cottonmouth possesses enhanced jaw and neck muscles, and steel teeth enabling him to bite with sufficient force to crush cinderblock or deform metals softer than iron, hang from a rope by his teeth for up to an hour, and to open his mouth larger than the size of a human head.
Cottonmouth (comics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Anything is possible when you don't see the body..
MCU 101:sas2:

Won Won

Superstar
Daps
Didn't Luke own a bar in JJ? So did he chill with Pops after that went down? But the kid is still slinging Incident DVDs?? Need a timeline of this :patrice:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Didn't Luke own a bar in JJ? So did he chill with Pops after that went down? But the kid is still slinging Incident DVDs?? Need a timeline of this :patrice:
Rough guess

-Went to prison
- Got his powers
-Escaped and headed to Harlem with Reva where she had fam for a few years.
- She dies
- Luke's in Hell's kitchen where he owned a bar.
- Loses his shyt and hooks up with JJ.
- Moves back to Harlem to figure shyt out. Make a lil cash from Pop and others.

The incident happened in 2012. So even if its a few years old it would still be a very big deal.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
All done.

8/10. Maybe a little less.

The music:myman:, female cast :noah:, Cotton Mouth:salute:.

The action, preachiness, and Diamondback:ld:

Anyone compile a list of the books they showed/referenced yet?
Easy Rawlins series by Walter Mosley & The Kenyatta Series by Donald Goines:ohlawd:

...I was raised on these books:wow:

And, it was marvelous to hear Pops and Luke wax poet on 'em: BLACKEXCELLENCE:blessed:

Last edited:

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
All done.

8/10. Maybe a little less.

The music:myman:, female cast :noah:, Cotton Mouth:salute:.

The action, preachiness, and Diamondback:ld:

Anyone compile a list of the books they showed/referenced yet?
Not sure about books but a lot of comic Easter eggs were said

Thor's hammer
The Chitari
Justin Hammer
Justin Hammers "Judas bullet" if you watched ironman 2 you would know

It seems Luke Cage was trying to press the MCU even more since daredevil and Jessica Jones kinda stayed more in their own realms

The cross overs into Jessica Jones and Daredevil were very seamless though :obama:

Turk just ending up in Harlem and going back to Hells Kitchen calling Harlem nikkas weirdos :heh:

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
Just finished the final episode.

Just when I thought Black shows couldn't get any more fire this year.:wow:

shyt was an absolute joy to watch - far and away my favourite Netflix Marvel series. Potentially my favourite Netflix series period.

I had the same feeling watching this that I had when I watched Creed. It's Black genius doing what Black genius does.

Ali Shaheed Muhammad and Adrian Younge deserve an Emmy for the way they scored this. The whole soundtrack is super nuanced, and the songs they chose damn near narrate the story.

Mike Colter, Simone Missick and Rosario Dawson were so dope. I don't know if there was a weak link in the cast.

So many thoughts about this. Where it goes, what it sets up. Can't wait to talk to you brehs about it once everyone is finished.:ohlawd:
I read 2016s Power man and Ironfist issues 1-3 but this show REALLY got me wanting to finish it :ohlawd:

I'm on episode 6 and it's pure PIFF so far.

Misty Knight >>>>>>>Electra>>>>>>>Patsie Walker :noah:

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Ending pissed me off.

So basically the bad guys win, Misty gets humiliated again and Luke is carried off to prison. Where the fukk is the payoff at? A season finale is suppose to have a payoff. Luke whooping his brother's ass is not enough of a payoff. The crooked politician chick needed to go down now after everything she's done. Not wait until season 2 where this is all obviously heading to.

Just sat there in disappointment, anger and looked at the screen like :francis:
I loved it because it made my blood boil and I am sure many fans felt the same that's how you force a second season. Look at DD s2 for instance there really is no demand for s3 (other than we just want to see DD again) you know why? Because the series could have easily wrapped up with that finale

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I felt we were really cheated out of closure between Cottonmouth and Luke Cage, it just basically ended with Luke conflicted in how to deal with Cottonmouth knowing his secret and how to bring him to justice... and just like that, NO CONCLUSION. Mariah killing Cottonmouth just stripped us from an already compelling story without making an equally compelling continuation. What I liked about Cottonmouth is everything that happened wasn't directly his fault, but due to affiliation, he had to be held accountable. I would of rather for Diamondback by someone in the shadows that nobody sees the entire series until like the finale to reveal he was Luke's half-brother which could of jumped off season 2. And have Shades continue as a liaison between Diamondback and Cottonmouth and Diamondback calculating all the pieces like chess. And that's the biggest gripe I had that character, how can I possibly believe someone like HIM to be running all of Harlem on the low, had all the money to build himself the suit and obtain those special bullets and so forth. I couldn't buy him as someone remotely intelligent at all.
Yea, they missed a golden opportunity with Cottonmouth. I thought they were giving him a Wilson Fisk-type arc and kinda swapping the DD/Kingpin physical dynamic by having Cornell be this slim framed, well dressed dude that doesn't have powers -yet anyway- but proves to be the ultimate rival to Cage. And i liked how he was a villain but you could have empathy towards him b/c a lotta shyt probably would've been different if one of his goons didn't act a fool and shoot up the shop.

With Diamondback, i think they tried to make him two different characters and they should've just picked one. First half of the season they kinda played him up as this mysterious, calculating crime boss in the shadows. But then once he got introduced in person, he did seem like just a bloodlust/revenge seeking super goon. lol That's why i would've either had him be a lone wolf subplot early on in the show, and have another character be the big boss in the shadows, that potentially ties things to DD/Defenders. Or swapped where Diamond stays in the shadows as the big boss, but we have some other character(s) come into town to test Cage early on and spice things up.

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
netflix fuk up the premiere..should had drop at 12:00 on the dot not four hrs later.

i haven't watch yet but we have to wait 2yrs for 2nd season?

we need more black superheroes on tv