The Official Netflix Marvel's "Luke Cage" Season 1 Thread

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
I finally finished it.

Misty is far and away my favorite character when they weren't writing her like :dame:

That actress deserves more work.

All the complaints I had early on mostly ironed themselves out. Not fully but enough to where it was genuinely enjoyable to me without thinking about it.

Juice is the weakest part of the show. His whisper intimidation is awful and I hated when he spoke in his scenes.

Coldest line of the show "And you speak to me as if you're actually not in the presence of Death"

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Cottonmouth and Misty Knight were scene stealers. I've praised Misty on here already but Cornell was brilliant. I felt he was complex and sympathetic as a villain.

So similar to the Misty/Claire thing, killing Cottonmouth to elevate Mariah was another okie/doke bait and switch I didnt't like. I thought Luke, Misty and Cottonmouth worked great as the hero/love interest/villain trifecta, and that they just needed to throw some more layers of complexity in the overall plot.

Like, I think Diamondback would've worked better as a lone wolf assassin/"brother mouzone from the Wire" type who gets contracted by Cornell to kill Cage early on. Have him fire the rocket launcher in ep 3 -and have that be an ongoing subplot that reveals more about Cage's past with each attempt (with DB still being his brother too) and have all that be a subplot that runs concurrent to the main story.

Then the main story itself would open up as something bigger than just Cornel/Harlem, something that potentially ties into all the fukkery going on in Daredevil. I'd have had Cottonmouth find a way to get in on that at the end, to elevate himself, maybe even have Turk be a kinda "Claire" to bridge some of the gaps. Lay ground works for Cornell and Wilson Fisk sitting at the big boys table down the line.

^^I would've liked something more like that. As it is, I thought Misty and Cornell both did they damn thing but deserved more than what they got at the end. Tho Misty still has an opportunity

I felt we were really cheated out of closure between Cottonmouth and Luke Cage, it just basically ended with Luke conflicted in how to deal with Cottonmouth knowing his secret and how to bring him to justice... and just like that, NO CONCLUSION. Mariah killing Cottonmouth just stripped us from an already compelling story without making an equally compelling continuation. What I liked about Cottonmouth is everything that happened wasn't directly his fault, but due to affiliation, he had to be held accountable. I would of rather for Diamondback by someone in the shadows that nobody sees the entire series until like the finale to reveal he was Luke's half-brother which could of jumped off season 2. And have Shades continue as a liaison between Diamondback and Cottonmouth and Diamondback calculating all the pieces like chess. And that's the biggest gripe I had that character, how can I possibly believe someone like HIM to be running all of Harlem on the low, had all the money to build himself the suit and obtain those special bullets and so forth. I couldn't buy him as someone remotely intelligent at all.

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
Cottonmouth and Misty Knight were scene stealers. I've praised Misty on here already but Cornell was brilliant. I felt he was complex and sympathetic as a villain.

So similar to the Misty/Claire thing, killing Cottonmouth to elevate Mariah was another okie/doke bait and switch I didnt't like. I thought Luke, Misty and Cottonmouth worked great as the hero/love interest/villain trifecta, and that they just needed to throw some more layers of complexity in the overall plot.

Like, I think Diamondback would've worked better as a lone wolf assassin/"brother mouzone from the Wire" type who gets contracted by Cornell to kill Cage early on. Have him fire the rocket launcher in ep 3 -and have that be an ongoing subplot that reveals more about Cage's past with each attempt (with DB still being his brother too) and have all that be a subplot that runs concurrent to the main story.

Then the main story itself would open up as something bigger than just Cornel/Harlem, something that potentially ties into all the fukkery going on in Daredevil. I'd have had Cottonmouth find a way to get in on that at the end, to elevate himself, maybe even have Turk be a kinda "Claire" to bridge some of the gaps. Lay ground works for Cornell and Wilson Fisk sitting at the big boys table down the line.

^^I would've liked something more like that. As it is, I thought Misty and Cornell both did they damn thing but deserved more than what they got at the end. Tho Misty still has an opportunity

I saw it coming from a mile out but not the when or how but I was waiting on that shift. That first mention of Uncle Pete had me like hmm. It kind of annoyed me but I was like ok, let's see where they take this.

I enjoyed Diamondback both as a standalone character and cause I know the actor from Boardwalk. Cottonmouth was my favorite character up until Misty hopped over him.

FLATOP

Superstar
Daps
It's sad that the Mama Mabel flashbacks were infinitely more interesting than any backstory of Luke Cage's. It's sadder that we got so little of them.

Although, in the later episodes, I enjoyed Diamondback's ham and cheese a bit more than the jarring transition at the midpoint of the show, he still was a completely unconvincing character

TooLazyToMakeUp1

LWO suicide bomber
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Out here in my damn drawls
It's interesting that I'm seeing some non-Black minorities saying that they couldn't connect to the show(implying that there was some cultural disconnect), but had no problem with DD or JJ.

Black people and the black experience are both too unique and nuanced, especially in America.

We've been here the longest and still have yet to assimilate, one reason being is that we "look" out of place. JJ and Daredevil are generally more relatable because they represent the accepted look of society

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
I just found out Simone Missick, Misty, is married to Dorian Missick who is another actor who needs more work. He's in one of my favorite movies, Lucky Number Slevin.

And since you guys all have Netflix, I'd suggest you check out a movie called Big Words. It sure as hell ain't the best movie in the world but I watched it cause he's the star of it and Yaya DaCosta's in it.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Black people and the black experience are both too unique and nuanced, especially in America.

We've been here the longest and still have yet to assimilate, one reason being is that we "look" out of place. JJ and Daredevil are generally more relatable because they represent the accepted look of society

I.E. white.... :coffee:

TooLazyToMakeUp1

LWO suicide bomber
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Out here in my damn drawls
I.E. white.... :coffee:
e6pvczjpg.gif

snikt6384

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's sad that the Mama Mabel flashbacks were infinitely more interesting than any backstory of Luke Cage's. It's sadder that we got so little of them.

Although, in the later episodes, I enjoyed Diamondback's ham and cheese a bit more than the jarring transition at the midpoint of the show, he still was a completely unconvincing character

Yeah, he was a cartoon. He felt like he was ripped out of cheesy 80's/90's movies. Intentional i'm sure. I enjoyed him for the most part though.
I found myself wishing Cottonmouth was still around specifically so he could interact with and offset Diamondback's ridiculousness. I think it would've made Diamondback better to have him around to play off of.

NelsonSwagdela

All Star
Daps
You sound stupid as fukk breh. Watch it for yourself at least don't let some article make you not want to watch the show to form your own opinion. Also if an article killed your buzz to watch something you sound mad weak. Hopefully you give it a chance to form your own views

How do I sound stupid? lol I'm not a big comic book guy and I stumbled onto this article and came to ask the coli about their point of view on the show? I know this is the internet but chill the fukk out, it was a completely reasonable question. I'm weak because I come to a discussion board to create dialogue and get feedback on a TV show before I commit to watching it? I don't have unlimited time and probably already watch too much tv as is. I didn't form any opinion, I simply asked peoples opinions, jesus christ

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
C/s all the above. And with the bold, it was weird how they played it out: it's as if they started with one clear direction in mind and gave it the right buildup... only to change their mind halfway with the okie doke / bait and switch. Rosario was cool but Simone is A1 sauce
I see im in the minority again, the coli never fails..

Yea misty was bad, she had some nice, amazing t*ts and episode 1-5 she was perfect...
Then the crazy came out and that took her down some to me, Rosario played the perfect girlfriend ride or die chick and I started to like her more by the end of the series.. I am not mad at y'all for liking the new hot chick cuz she was hot, but I don't mind rosario at all, she acts like how I want my girl to act..

Although she has been kind of a b-level super hero pin cushion..