THE OFFICIAL Marvel's GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Thread

Trojan 24

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Just Win Baby
1358070609689.gif

haha this movie. It's simultaneously an unrepentant Marvel film, but something entirely different in terms of tone and universe from other Marvel films. It's simultaneously ambitious, but very safe in terms of plot and opening up of the other parts of the Marvel universe.

Several things annoyed me though. For one, Alexander and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day being adapted into a film. Dumb and Dumber To which just looks painful and trying too hard on several levels. I don't even want to go back and watch the original because I'm afraid it might be retarded.

Oh, Guardians of the Galaxy.

Ol, I'm gonna act like this is the third film in the franchise ass movie. I was sitting there the first 20 minutes like
Vzm8B.gif

I'm an adult, and this is my life. Marvel films forever, for the rest of my life. They'll outlive me. shyt crashing into shyt, the superhero universe forever. We'll soon have a 24 hour Marvel channel. All the overlapping nonsense and Marvel properties rubbing up against each other, vying for ALL the attention in the world.

But once I was acclimated I came to realize that it really is just like all other Marvel films. It's just with this one we're introduced to a vast other in terms of environment and tone. We go to different planets, a head floating in space/mining colony (sure) (again I'm an adult), pristine space cities, space prisons, and a host of other species and characters. There was an infusion of different music and better written humor than the super broad and corny humor we get with other Marvel films. But besides that? :yeshrug: same ol.

The thing that Marvel movies have going for them though is they've hatched a tried and true formula in terms of plot. There is some MacGuffin, they write the motivations for all the characters to get this MacGuffin, the characters overlap on themselves betraying and joining forces, throw in some CGI, some 3D, a spaceship of some sort crashing into a building or city, same tired ass action and fight scenes, an after credits scene and voila, you have yourself a Marvel film. It works because it creates propulsive action from one scene to the next.

Thing with Guardians is that it had a tough trouble balancing that. In fact, this is one of the geekiest ass movies I've seen in some time. Which isn't bad. But it presents a problem for the writers. They want it to be accessible enough that regular dimwits like me can come in and enjoy it and also not alienate their fanbase. I feel like this isn't so much a problem with the staple Marvel properties. Like I wasn't a big comic fan growing up, but I GET Spiderman y'know? With Guardians, this is probably the first some people are hearing about these characters. So the film is weighed down by a bunch of expository dialogue. And perhaps because of that some of the motivations and characters weren't entirely fleshed out as well as they could have been, chiefly Gamora, Nebula, Ronan and his relationship to Thanos. Like what the fukk was that? Cool. Cool villain.

And just like other marvel films, I have no desire to see it again. Props to them for switching it up a bit, but it was ultimately too safe.

Shout out to the dude in my theater who, when Howard the Duck came on squealed with delight and yelled out, "HOLY fukkING shyt :gladbron:"

Relax b it's just Howard the Duck. shyt wasn't even funny :why:

The pseudo intelligence :wow:

The entitlement :wow:

The elitism that it exudes :wow:

Only Penfield da Gawd could deliver such a post without feeling like a total douche, you can only respect it
jamesbrownwow-gif.61

AllHolosEve

Her Name Is Mistress Death
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SouthSide, MPLS
Universal doesn't have the rights to Namor anymore,
"On July 18, 2014, Feige told IGN in an interview that the Namor film rights are not with Universal and Legendary Pictures, but he explained there are a number of contracts and deals that need to be sorted out."
we can finally get wakanda vs atlantis now.....
They need to do a movie on Annihilation breh. Id fukking lose it. Annihilus on the big screen goin head to head against EVERYBODY including the GAWD Richard Rider would be more than anything I've ever imagined.
:blessed:

YaBishh

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Texas
yall know yall comics foreal:dwillhuh: lol

I havent felt the need to watch the same movie twice in the theaters for a minute but GOTG and Rise of Planet of the Apes are the ones i would do it for.:tu:

Daps
Reppin
SoFla
I don't know shyt about comics, but this was my favorite movie theater experience of the year. Kinda by a lot, too. Saw it in 3D and the colors and depth were amazing. Forgot I was watching a 3d movie like halfway through, that hasn't happened since Avatar. Funniest movie I've seen this year too, I laughed out loud more than a handful of times. Really well done all the way around.

muzikfrk75

Daps
Reppin
Saw it tonight, was dope.

Was the first time that I've been in a theater and people applauded at the end :leon:

And yeah, Saldana stays on some :mjpls: shyt lol

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thanos and The Collector were the only 2 that knew what it was. Thanos basically hired Ronan as a favor by the bigger king, in the traditional emperors way (do this for me, and when I storm, you will be left alone). Once Ronan found out what it was, he was basically like "Fukk Thanos".

No shyt I've seen the movie

The point is there's no reason for Ronan to help thanos, it wasn't explained why he needed his help, because he had his own army

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
nobody compared to toy story

it was brought up saying how adults can enjoy a movie made for kids

people really think this isn't a kids movie are playing themselves, the story was cookie cutter as fukk

I would disagree with this. The last act is formulaic, sure....but the way the team is formed is anything but imo.

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
I never disagreed to that. Clearly some writers are better than others with comics, but they are still all Marvel comics.

They are all Marvel Comics characters and properties, but there is a clear difference in both universe and direction in Marvel Studio movies and movies outside of Marvel studios.

Sony owns rights to spiderman but he isnt a sony character, otherwise he would not of been in MvC3 cause it was cross platform or the spiderman games wouldnt be on M$ systems either.

Yes, we know this. But what does this have to do with Marvel Studio movies? Spider-Man is a Marvel Property but his movies are Sony movies, not Marvel movies. Do you not agree with this?

if you dont want people to do this then from now on say "Marvel Studios is killing it" cause people always say just "Marvel" and then say "oh no, not that fox/sony stuff" Just say "Marvel studios" then and stop being a fanboy

You are getting too hung up on Terminology, homie.

The Marvel Studio movies are clearly a different area than the franchises they sold off to companies. I'm pretty sure we all, including you, know and understand that. Marvel itself has MUCH more stake and focus on the properties they own, so YES, when a Marvel Studios movie does well, its perfectly fine to say "Marvel is killing it".

And for the record, Marvel is killing the comic game as well, its not a far stretch to say when "Marvel is killing it" some COULD be talking about more than just the movies.

This whole gripe it rooted in fanboy-ism and a kind of disturbing dislike for Marvel in general. How are you going to accuse others of being a fanboy when you are doing the exact same thing?

and also. The MCU started in 2008. DCU started last year with Man of Steel. Yet people want to compare :beli:

Well keep it real man, DC WOULD have included the GL movie as part of the DCU had it done well. But because it flopped, they act like it didn't really exist. And to be honest, we STILL don't officially know if the DKT is going to count in the current DCU, DCU itself is still in the beginning stages of building a movie universe so all comparisons are bunk anyway.

Marvel HAS a built and created universe, DC is still working on that. Clearly Marvel's is currently better but they aren't even in the same weight classes yet. Give them both time.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nobody compared to toy story

it was brought up saying how adults can enjoy a movie made for kids

people really think this isn't a kids movie are playing themselves, the story was cookie cutter as fukk
:snoop: it is not a kid movie breh stop hating. A enjoyable movie doesn't mean for kids . If anything it's a all ages movie like Star Wars