The Official Joe Budden Podcast Thread

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
random: I can completely see why Rory is depressed. Aside from his terrible bowels, he went from touring with the pod, doing Dussepalooza, just general hanging out with family and friends to a screeching halt to being around his lady for most part. So whatever little quirks or annoyances he tolerated are now enhanced because he can't get away.

I think thats something everyone in relationships can relate to.
Plus one of his best friends got outed for being a rapist, at minimum a habitual sexual harasser. He don't talk about it, but I know that had to hurt.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
they really should revisit topics they (specifically joe) said they'd get to at another time. Like they wanted to deep dive on Cam I believe, or other emcee's discogs.

Funny moments aren't as frequent in general anymore...and a lot of their takes are trash (playing devil's advocate or mot, as they sometimes claim to be doing)

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
i still listen and enjoy the show. maybe my expectation is low and it's more background noise for me when i'm cooking, working, playing video games or doing another hobby.

Plus one of his best friends got outed for being a rapist, at minimum a habitual sexual harasser. He don't talk about it, but I know that had to hurt.

:picard: if true then that's crazy. i thought he was depressed because his dussapalooza was a wrap and he was maybe hurting for money. on top of all of this he got caught cheating:picard:

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
i still listen and enjoy the show. maybe my expectation is low and it's more background noise for me when i'm cooking, working, playing video games or doing another hobby.

:picard: if true then that's crazy. i thought he was depressed because his dussapalooza was a wrap and he was maybe hurting for money. on top of all of this he got caught cheating:picard:
Yeah the Chris Stylez nikka, they started the Palooza thing together

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
they really should revisit topics they (specifically joe) said they'd get to at another time. Like they wanted to deep dive on Cam I believe, or other emcee's discogs.

Funny moments aren't as frequent in general anymore...and a lot of their takes are trash (playing devil's advocate or mot, as they sometimes claim to be doing)

this i agree with. i think they can do more deep dive on topics the average hip hop fan won't know like discogs, industry news etc. i'm sure they'll ruffle some feathers if they say something wrong tho. rappers and industry people are so sensitive.

mrjoncampbell

mrjoncampbell
Daps
Reppin
London
As someone who watching/listened from the first episode, shyt since the pre-first episode when he announced it on the Juan Epstein podcast, the show hasn't grown. The topics are mostly centered around pop-culture and R&B, and popular Hip Hop acts, with some world events/political commentary thrown in. It's more stagnant than "bad" to me. The only thing that might have fallen off noticably to me, is it's not as funny as it used to be. I used to literally be in tears laughing at some of their shyt. Now most episodes I get a couple of funny moments but nothing that makes me want to go back and listen again. I used to wait for the video to drop on Youtube because I wanted to see their reaction during some of the funniest parts. Now I can't even remember the last time I went to Youtube to watch a moment. That aspect has hurt it. I used to be able to get through an entire episode straight through. Now it takes multiple days for me to get through one episode. If you're not gonna be funny, at least make the topics interesting.

The one suggestion I make is they should come into episodes with more pre-made topics that don't revolve around what's happening right now, and more open discussion on a specific topic. Whether it be personal, music related, sports, historical etc..but something other than Shaderoom Tea, some lyrical deep dive into a new single from Drake or the City Girls, or them talking about artists splits/DSP, or them spending 40 minutes discussing an R&B act that sounds like the last 20 R&B acts they talked about before that has made the same song 50 times.

Pre-Covid or during the Pandemic? A lot of recycled topics is sort of a given due to most people being sat at home, on the socials (more than usual), etc.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
this thread really got me thinking:jbhmm:

what is it that makes us listen to the show, only to come here and complain about it?

and im not knocking anybody because ive done it and stopped posting as much once i realized I kept coming here to post about what i didnt like, instead of what i did

its just interesting

like, what causes us to convene here out of love for the show only to end up listening week to week, to bash it:patrice:

i still listen because its entertaining (when they keep it light) and a way to pass the time at work or background fodder when im playing 2k

and i've started fast forwarding segments once I get annoyed...but that urge to come in here and commiserate...what is that?
I listen to it to get through a work shift, but the podcast has been on a decline.

I'm tired of Joe doing deep dives on Instagram thots and who such and such is fukking. I'm Tired of joe cutting every interesting discussion short because he wants to talk about bullshyt. I'm tired of Mal acting like he's the smartest person in the room when he has the dumbest takes on the pod. Im tired of Rory and Parks having to hold it down, they've been the stars of the podcast for months and they aren't interesting enough to be in that position.

Its like the effort diminished as soon as they realized they weren't gonna get a Joe Rogan deal.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pre-Covid or during the Pandemic? A lot of recycled topics is sort of a given due to most people being sat at home, on the socials (more than usual), etc.
I think that goes more to point that they should venture out more to pre-made topics that aren't based in what's happening now and open it up more to broader set topics about music, life, personal opinions etc...rather than discuss Shaderoom/gossipy topics for hours.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

Exactly. They always say they're gonna do things like this and never do. There's so many interesting music topics they can talk about that they never get into. Discographies, underrated albums, favorite moments in music, who's overrated, who's underrated, who did you think had next....etc...

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
I think that goes more to point that they should venture out more to pre-made topics that aren't based in what's happening now and open it up more to broader set topics about music, life, personal opinions etc...rather than discuss Shaderoom/gossipy topics for hours.
Facts

There's so much history in hiphop, they could easily have episodes where they do deep dives on particular artists, cultures, and sub genres within hip hop.

Some shyt where you can go back and listen to an episode regardless of how old it is.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Mal, nikka went from the best to worst. Biggest drop off, he was there as the guy who cut jokes on Joe and be the "street" dude, but it turns out he's lamer than Joe and probably never had sex in his life

He was supposed to be the "street dude" but isn't street at all and constantly shows that he has a real disconnect with what it's really like in the streets.

You can tell by his views that dude grew up at worst an upper middle class privileged kid. This nikka said he see people out spending money so why do we need a stimulus, this nikka really believes that since the well off people in the communities he frequents are spending money then everyone should have money. This nikka has no understanding of real poverty, there's no way the dude was ever a street nikka.

Squirtle

Supreme Chancellor
Daps
Reppin
New York

You left out the most important reason. HE DOESNT LOVE THE GIRL HES ENGAGED TOO! According to the internet anyway, I dont know anything about that, but that plus all the reasons you mentioned has to suck