The Official Joe Budden Podcast Thread

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
So I’m confused did Joe ask for 250 Ms or not? I have no issue with him asking, get your bread. But the first part of his rant he was laughing at Andrew Schultz for saying that’s what he asked for, but as his rant continued it came across like he did ask for it. He was even using the Lavar Ball sneakers as an example of people thinking you’re crazy for asking a lot for something you created.
he did the usual talk himself into a bunch of circles, but it sounds like he did ask for $250M especially since he continuously talks about how his podcast is worth "six figgers" and did some wild math where he ended up netting out at the number being $250M.

sounds like he started the asking price at $250M, but then would take at least $75M. i would just like to hear him get into the analytics and performance metrics he talks so much about, and compare those to the others he's basing his price on.

any word from Cthagod on Breakfast Club this morning?? :lupe:

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
So I’m confused did Joe ask for 250 Ms or not? I have no issue with him asking, get your bread. But the first part of his rant he was laughing at Andrew Schultz for saying that’s what he asked for, but as his rant continued it came across like he did ask for it. He was even using the Lavar Ball sneakers as an example of people thinking you’re crazy for asking a lot for something you created.

He said near the end that he values all his holdings, including the podcast, at around 250 million. I still doubt that, but whatever. That's probably not what he'd ask for, but all his offers are based on that valuation. He also hinted that Spotify offered 40 million, which he turned down.

My question is, how is any potential investor supposed to make money off the podcast if Joe won't do ads? I think Joe's answer to that is shut the fukk up and let the creators create (meaning, just trust me because I'm already rich) but I don't know if that's gonna work.

Also, touting Lavar Ball as a success story doesn't really help his case either. Lavar lost millions for his son Lonzo, and as a result both Lonzo and Lamelo are signed with Roc Nation to manage future shoe deals.

Last edited:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
That aint the timeline

The rape shyt popped up at the end of 2018. Charlemagne did the mental health pivot long before that

Black Privilege came out in 2017

Charlemagne been pro black but the problem is y'all can't conceive that somebody can be pro black and a c00n/dumbass at the same time. I realized this with Kanye
black privilge wasn't the mental health pivot... that was the "shook ones" bullshyt

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Yep. That’s been Joe’s fight for years. His argument is a podcast keeps you on the DSP longer than any album would, so their should be a way they get paid off it. It’s really messed up.
thats why you need the data.

Joe's really operating on a different level here.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
He said near the end that he values all his holdings, including the podcast, at around 250 million. I still doubt that, but whatever. That's probably not what he'd ask for, but all his offers are based on that valuation. He also hinted that Spotify offered 40 million, which he turned down.

My question is, how is any potential investor supposed to make money off the podcast if Joe won't do ads? I think Joe's answer to that is shut the fukk up and let the creators create (meaning, just trust me because I'm already rich) but I don't know if that's gonna work.

Also, touting Lavar Ball as a success story doesn't really help his case either. Lavar lost millions for his son Lonzo, and as a result both Lonzo and Lamelo are signed with Roc Nation to manage future shoe deals.
Right. Only way I can see it is if Joe's podcast will no longer be free on the DSP and you have to sign up for a month subscription service to the DSP to hear his podcast, then I guess they won't need ads. But yeah, I understand Joe may feel he's worth X amount to these platforms, but nobody is just handing you over 10s of millions and you're not providing a method they can gain revenue by adding you.

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
Yep. That’s been Joe’s fight for years. His argument is a podcast keeps you on the DSP longer than any album would, so their should be a way they get paid off it. It’s really messed up.

But albums and songs (and stuff like movies and TV shows on Netflix or Hulu) will always get more streams than podcasts because nearly everybody only listen to a podcast episode once. Also most people are not going back into archives and listening to episodes from years ago. I agree that we need to see the data, but I doubt the results would be all that earth-shattering.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
thats why you need the data.

Joe's really operating on a different level here.
100% but there's no way they was giving that to him, unless he had it in writing. These companies live off the fact they have the information and you only can guess. They're not just giving that away to use for your negotiations with them or their competition.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Right. Only way I can see it is if Joe's podcast will no longer be free on the DSP and you have to sign up for a month subscription service to the DSP to hear his podcast, then I guess they won't need ads. But yeah, I understand Joe may feel he's worth X amount to these platforms, but nobody is just handing you over 10s of millions and you're not providing a method they can gain revenue by adding you.
I damn near slapped my forehead when he compared himself to Howard Stern and how Stern knew his worth. He once again ignores that Stern got that money because he had that dedicated audience. With radio there are ads. So there is an easy angle for the radio station to turn that dedicated audience to selling ads and commercials which Joe refuses to do. Having all those customers doesn't mean a damn thing unless it can be flipped into the corporation being able to sell to those customers through ads. That's how they make their money back on the investment.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
100% but there's no way they was giving that to him, unless he had it in writing. These companies live off the fact they have the information and you only can guess. They're not just giving that away to use for your negotiations with them or their competition.
Joe still couldn't do the analysis necessary to understand the data if he got it, dude can't even pronounce statistician. He's got to understand the the added value of his show in isolation, which is not just 1+1. Then from there you have to do a forecast of that value. So there's mad degrees of uncertainty in a long-term deal.

blizzard man

Join the Nintendo Fun Club today!
Daps
Reppin
DC
From the last podcast it didnt sound like he asked for 250m

But based on his stressing of ownership and information he was prolly asking for some sort of deal that provided more access to tools that spotify wasnt willing to share

I think had they maybe acquiesced to some of those things joe woulda taken a lower number.

Kinda like in music people swoon over the large advances, but we all know rhats just a bigger loan to pay back

But the dude taking a small advance and keeping a bigger portion of publishing or your masterswmasters is where you really win(as long as you dont flop)

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
I damn near slapped my forehead when he compared himself to Howard Stern and how Stern knew his worth. He once again ignores that Stern got that money because he had that dedicated audience. With radio there are ads. So there is an easy angle for the radio station to turn that dedicated audience to selling ads and commercials which Joe refuses to do. Having all those customers doesn't mean a damn thing unless it can be flipped into the corporation being able to sell to those customers through ads. That's how they make their money back on the investment.
It’s a false equivalent to mention or compare himself to Stern and even Rogan because they also put in at least a decade of being on top before cashing out. He can complain about Rogan all day, but this deal with Spotify if essentially Rogan cashing out...the same way Stern did with Sirius at the time.

Budden has been doing this podcast for 5 years, and at a high performance level for 2-3 years. So they’re in a different space regardless of how he tries to twist it to defend himself.

Last edited:

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.

lavar literally talk 3 sons into the spot light. He’s a success story. Regardless if he failed due to trust wrong people. Without him hyping his boys lonzo doesn’t get mad spotlight and go 2, gelo isn’t going to UCLA, melo isn’t being hyped and have 4 years of spotlight, no reality tv, no coverages of them going to some trash euro league ect. Lavar is a success story. Same is Brandon Jennings. No sure wtf boys talking bout like he failed. Going to college wasn’t gonna help be better in the nba. And he didn’t get put out due to talent either.

jenning has made not going to college and going to euro a viable option as you see gelo in the g league and melo mainly getting looks in the euro league as a thing.

Lavar pressure on the league got them thinking bout killed the 1 and done rule also.

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
lavar literally talk 3 sons into the spot light. He’s a success story. Regardless if he failed due to trust wrong people. Without him hyping his boys lonzo doesn’t get mad spotlight and go 2, gelo isn’t going to UCLA, melo isn’t being hyped and have 4 years of spotlight, no reality tv, no coverages of them going to some trash euro league ect. Lavar is a success story. Same is Brandon Jennings. No sure wtf boys talking bout like he failed. Going to college wasn’t gonna help be better in the nba. And he didn’t get put out due to talent either.

jenning has made not going to college and going to euro a viable option as you see gelo in the g league and melo mainly getting looks in the euro league as a thing.

Lavar pressure on the league got them thinking bout killed the 1 and done rule also.

His sons, most notably Lonzo and Lamelo, would've been in the spotlight regardless of their father because they were elite NBA prospects. And Lonzo would've made more money without his father because he would've taken the Nike deal initially and not gotten injured so much during to wearing shytty shoes (Lonzo said he literally had to switch out BBB shoes at halftime because the shoes were so poorly made). Lonzo might still be in LA if he didn't get so many ankle injuries fukking with inferior BBB sneakers. And of course, Lavar's business partner and right-hand man scammed him out of millions. There's no question Lavar failed Lonzo, or else Lamelo would've signed with BBB as well. There's no success there.

And Lebron killed the one-and-done rule for Bronny, not Lavar. Come on man.

From the last podcast it didnt sound like he asked for 250m

But based on his stressing of ownership and information he was prolly asking for some sort of deal that provided more access to tools that spotify wasnt willing to share

I think had they maybe acquiesced to some of those things joe woulda taken a lower number.

Kinda like in music people swoon over the large advances, but we all know rhats just a bigger loan to pay back

But the dude taking a small advance and keeping a bigger portion of publishing or your masterswmasters is where you really win(as long as you dont flop)

Yeah it became clearer at the end that he values the podcast at 250 million, but that's not the offer he's looking for. Think of it like that show Shark Tank. When people go up at ask Mark Cuban and co. for $100,000 for 25 percent ownership in their company, it means they value the company at $400,000. So if Joe says he values the podcast at $250 million, that means he'd ask a potential investor for $75 million for 30 percent ownership, as an example.

Which begs my question of how the podcast is supposed to make that much money if Joe won't do ads.