The Official Joe Budden Podcast Thread

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
It was kinda a sucka move. Called joe to see if it was cool over there after he signed already lol. And signing under a white man :wow:
Again that's Joe's spin on it. Look at it from Van's end. He just signed under Simmons who then sold the whole operation to Spotify. That's likely Van trying to figure out if there's anything he should look out for in regards to Spotify now that he's under that umbrella but all Joe could look at was "why didn't you ask me to sign you".

Shakeydog

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I need to listen to yesterday’s rant again but I think I heard him say that last week alone episode one got 20,000 plays , he has 400 episodes he can put everywhere including Spotify in if he doesn’t sign. also think mentioned splicing up old Epps and adding in adds which is probably the same thing Spotify would have done if gave them ownership. Now he can do that himself on every platform . The running joke on the pod was always how much is a stream worth ??? How much is add money worth on a 4 year old episode played 20k times On a random week in August? How much is that worth forever ? He said he been studying how long we listen and all them other Analyticals ...I’m thinking he has something cooking and people are sleep .

S.W.A.G.

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Joe is correct he was the guinea pig for this sort of deal. Firstly in the next era of podcasts, most are either: a) pure independent, and do their own ads (rogan), b) are independent, do their own ads and have their own patreon (flagrant 2), c) are kinda independent but belong to a wider network to get a better deal for ad space, and may have a patreon (tiger belly, all things comedy), d) have exclusive deals with a distributor (russell brand, budden). Only really Rogan can do (a), Schulz is such a good businessman he can figure out (b) himself... most podcasts aim for the (c) bracket and (d) is what Joe actually brought to the table. Not many people did exclusive deals with Spotify or any distributor before Joe. It made sense for Joe as he wanted a 'bag', and he is an innovator but you lose alot of control and first mover advantage is not neccessary a good thing. He helped set the market, but Spotify has data now on what other talent they can target, and Joe may not even be worth their money - they paid him what he is worth and they will let him go because they can afford to.

Rumour has it Spotify spent all their budget on Rogan and Michelle Obama, which goes to show that their growth strategy is likely away from Joe Budden's audience and more into getting the 30+ or even older demos to Spotify for podcasts. The kids are already on here... but the growth area is mums, 40 year old Rogan lovers etc... Joe set the market, but the market outgrew Joe. I would stay independent, and follow Schulz model, make say 500k-1m a year from podcasts and chill... but I think he wants way more than that, so he's gotta give his soul for that corporate cheque.

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA
Joe is correct he was the guinea pig for this sort of deal. Firstly in the next era of podcasts, most are either: a) pure independent, and do their own ads (rogan), b) are independent, do their own ads and have their own patreon (flagrant 2), c) are kinda independent but belong to a wider network to get a better deal for ad space, and may have a patreon (tiger belly, all things comedy), d) have exclusive deals with a distributor (russell brand, budden). Only really Rogan can do (a), Schulz is such a good businessman he can figure out (b) himself... most podcasts aim for the (c) bracket and (d) is what Joe actually brought to the table. Not many people did exclusive deals with Spotify or any distributor before Joe. It made sense for Joe as he wanted a 'bag', and he is an innovator but you lose alot of control and first mover advantage is not neccessary a good thing. He helped set the market, but Spotify has data now on what other talent they can target, and Joe may not even be worth their money - they paid him what he is worth and they will let him go because they can afford to.

Rumour has it Spotify spent all their budget on Rogan and Michelle Obama, which goes to show that their growth strategy is likely away from Joe Budden's audience and more into getting the 30+ or even older demos to Spotify for podcasts. The kids are already on here... but the growth area is mums, 40 year old Rogan lovers etc... Joe set the market, but the market outgrew Joe. I would stay independent, and follow Schulz model, make say 500k-1m a year from podcasts and chill... but I think he wants way more than that, so he's gotta give his soul for that corporate cheque.

That's probably the best move to do a format similar to Flagrant 2 or KevOnStage, with exclusive content available for premium users. I know Schulz and Akash are caking off of Patreon, and Kev is funding his other ventures/paying folks from Patreon paper

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
I'm gone keep it real, ain't no way in hell I'm believing Schultz patreon numbers unless there is somewhere legit to verify them. I've heard dude lying in the past about how big he was. Plus as we know part of the game is inflating numbers to make it seem like consumers are missing out so they'll want to sign up too.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I'm gone keep it real, ain't no way in hell I'm believing Schultz patreon numbers unless there is somewhere legit to verify them. I've heard dude lying in the past about how big he was. Plus as we know part of the game is inflating numbers to make it seem like consumers are missing out so they'll want to sign up too.

I’ve been side eyeing that guy ever since i heard his “roast” on mal. Mad racial undertones to it

Daps

Gon be a lot of nikkas wit egg on they face ...I knew he was in his bag when he said Spotify don't have any hardware ....I was like "oh he anit come to play play he definitely know something we not privy to" sound like Spotify is behind in the podcast game but what is new . That alot of companies . Apple had that podcast app and department and didn't even utilize it the right way. Goof ball ass nikkas :mjlol::mjlol:

Silky Johnson

The Master Investbreh
Daps
Reppin
Hatersbridge, BX

Gon be a lot of nikkas wit egg on they face ...I knew he was in his bag when he said Spotify don't have any hardware ....I was like "oh he anit come to play play he definitely know something we not privy to" sound like Spotify is behind in the podcast game but what is new . That alot of companies . Apple had that podcast app and department and didn't even utilize it the right way. Goof ball ass nikkas :mjlol::mjlol:

Yo Savon the Duh, nobody cares

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
There were people who thought joe was stupid for Not re upping with complex

there were people who thought joe was stupid for getting into Spotify world

There’s people who think he’s stupid for turning down an offer

they’ve all worked in his favor though

But let the coli 8 figure accountants rock :wow:

I personally probably wouldn’t have been able to turn down the extension though
:ehh:

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
I wonder...Joe practically made fun of Cthagod on yesterday’s podcast for starting his YouTube page in Aug 2019. If Joe suddenly started a Patreon wouldn’t anybody with a successful Patreon be able to make fun of him for being late to the game, and say, “you’ve been giving Spotify and your audience a second weekly episode for free for the last two years...and it was all for ‘analytics’ that you never even received from Spotify.”

I know some here think that many of us who are critiquing the situation are haters, but no. We’re obviously fans because we’ve been supporting every episode for years now. We’d like to see Joe and team win, but given his history and understanding the landscape to a certain extent, we simply have questions about the approach and actual goal. That’s all...and it’s fair until we see the end result.