The Official Formula 1 Thread šŸ

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Translated

Masi after the 2020 Eifel GP regarding the protracted safety car on the track: "There is a requirement in the sporting regulations to pass ALL duplicate cars." This is in complete contradiction to yesterday's interpretation. # F1pl #EchaPadoku

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Yall still worked up over this?

I guess thatā€™s understandable.

Testing is in 70 days. Get your rest. :jawalrus:

ApolloStark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's exactly what they did! I said it in a private coli based group chat yesterday that if i wanted to watch sports entertainment i'd watch WWE or the NBA playoffs because at least then I know i'm walking into fiction off the bat.

I'm sorry to all my American bredrins in here (this isn't directed at you personally) but you man ALWAYS ruin sports when you get ownership of it. Every non US sport you touch, you man are cancers to it. You lot (not you lot, i'm talking the American owners, financers etc) just can't grasp that the best form of entertainment for the fans is when a sport is competitive based on legit skill based competition not soap opera dramatic theatrics. F1 is inherently gonna have fuccery in it because its basically a death sport and you have to be half psycho to be a driver...it doesn't need manufactured stories, the people working in it are tapped enough as it is smfh.

Disagreed with you a few races back and you negged me for it but we won't go there, but agree with this shyt. He wanted to make a spectacle of that last lap for the drive to survive netflix casuals and the new fans coming into the sport. And as fukked up as that was, i wouldn't even have minded had they redflagged the race so everyone could line up in the pits for fresh tyres, then it would have been a fair shootout

to do what he did on the last lap with the difference in tyres was just insane. even today i still can't get over who in race control thought that was the right thing to do

MisterMajesty

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
I just want you to see that way cacs have closed ranks around this robbery.

I refuse to be objective about any of these situations going forward. As far as I am concerned this was an orchestration.

People stood up and said, "hey, it's OK to rob Lewis cause Max deserved it and it was time for a change"

No way in hell would they have done this to Vettel or Schumacher.

The man not only broke a rule, but a, fukking safety rule at that. This is unprecedented man

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Jean toomer

Superstar
Daps
I told yā€™all yesterday this shyt will backfire on Max, RB, and FIA. Heā€™s a great driver, great season but History will give Max an asterisk for this title.
The irony is Lewisā€™s public stature will have grown immeasurably.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
My bro...the telegram article is behind a paywall
archive.ph

You can always tell when an argument has been lost. The goalposts are simply uprooted and we see the debating equivalent of playing the man but not the ball.
And so we come to the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix where, almost 24 hours after the most outrageously manufactured ending imaginable, most of those in favour of Max Verstappenā€™s world title win are still not attempting to explain or defend the decisive intervention of race director Michael Masi.
Refuge has instead been taken in a series of utterly irrelevant observations. Like how Verstappen had lit up this yearā€™s Formula One world championship. Or how he had won more races earlier in the season. Or how it was just about time that someone ended Lewis Hamiltonā€™s dominance of his sport. Or, indeed, Red Bullā€™s repeated claim that they had somehow ā€œdeservedā€ some luck.
Some of this might be true but it has absolutely nothing to do with how, from Hamilton leading by a comfortable 12 seconds with six laps remaining (even after being disadvantaged by one earlier safety car), he was suddenly presented with a rival directly in his wing-mirror on a third set of newer, faster tyres.
It was like interrupting the Olympic marathon just as Eliud Kipchoge was entering the stadium with a two-minute lead and telling him with a straight face to wait for his nearest competitor, let that rival change into some track spikes and then have the gold medal decided by a 100m sprint.
Good television? Maybe. But fair? Just? Even remotely defensible? Not in the slightest.

And that is why, even those who want to hail Verstappen as the rightful world champion, are doing so not with reference to the logic of what actually happened in the final minutes of the race but an entirely subjective perception of the two drivers.
Theirs is instead a woolly narrative about Verstappen deserving it because he had a decent season and the even more feeble reference to ā€œletting them raceā€ as if Hamilton had somehow accrued his lead with wheelspins in the nearby desert.
The relevant facts are only these: Hamilton had driven himself into a virtually unassailable position. The race was then interrupted through no fault of his own. He could not leave the track for new tyres because he would have given up first place to Verstappen (who was already on a newer set of tyres). Verstappen could stop, however, because he did not have the lead to lose and, with the safety car out, could soon make up any lost time. Hamilton had also already had his lead cut by working through five additional lapped drivers. These five drivers were removed so that Verstappen could start the final lap directly behind Hamilton. But the other three lapped drivers behind Verstappen were not given the chance to pass the safety car, presumably because this would not have left enough time for the final-lap shootout.
So, in one stroke, we saw three huge advantages handed to Verstappen and one enormous great unfathomable inconsistency. The race had been condensed and all the gaps were reduced. Verstappen was given another brand new set of tyres while Hamilton was left on rubber that he had last changed 44 laps earlier. And, just for good measure, five cars that Hamilton had lost time passing were removed for Verstappen. Oh, and there was also the totally illogical situation of letting some lapped drivers overtake the safety car but not others.
What happened was an affront that was either the consequence of the pressure Masi was being placed under by Red Bull or simply a desire to create a spectacular finale to the season.
The implications, however, have not been thought through. The casual fan is not stupid. They know right from wrong and the idea that such drama will naturally result in a more loyal fanbase is flawed. While some might have enjoyed the stage-managed show, it is a good bet that rather more will have questioned why they invested two hours in watching an event that might as well have been staged over two minutes. There is a reason that Arsenalā€™s 1989 league-title win over Liverpool has lived so long in folklore. It was because it was a freak, once-in-a-lifetime event, that occurred quite naturally. It was not artificially created thanks to a ruling - that the race director has ā€œoverriding authorityā€ - which can effectively mean that anything goes.
Wider questions also arise. If a race lead, and every other advantage can be wiped out so easily, what is to stop teams being tempted into instructing drivers to tactically create incidents? What suspicions would be going through peopleā€™s minds this morning if it had not been Nicholas Latifi who crashed, but Verstappenā€™s team-mate Sergio Perez?
It all leaves a horrible situation. Nobody wants to see a sporting event dragged through courts and further appeals. And the impulse is indeed to just accept that injustice is part of sport. But should that really apply in a situation so manifestly unfair? Mercedes are right to be carefully weighing up their options. To simply accept that ā€˜the showā€™ should take precedence over natural justice would set sport on a dangerous path.

Last edited:

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
I told yā€™all yesterday this shyt will backfire on Max, RB, and FIA. Heā€™s a great driver, great season but History will give Max an asterisk for this title.
The irony is Lewisā€™s public stature will have grown immeasurably.

The world saw Hamilton get robbed and rightfully calling out FIA for it.. Hamilton earned his respect

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Bushed
Supporter
Daps

This article hit the nail on the head.

Whats to say a team creating a safety car situation (binning it intentially, or "reliability issues") along with undue influence over a racing directory could manufacture the best possible course for their victory.

What took place yesterday was a sham

karim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL