The Official Formula 1 Thread šŸ

ApolloStark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Incredible quali session. Good seeing someone other than the HAMBOTVER combo up front.

Just like everyone has said, Lewis has only himself to blame. However, he should be able to make his way through the pack fairly quickly.

None of the top 3 cars have race pace close to Mercedes. If he runs his race, he should be fine.

Only thing is he's now in a situation he really didn't need to be in. Danny Ric just behind him who's usually a good starter and will try to make up ground, a bunch of newbies at the front, I just know some shyts gonna go down off the line tomorrow... can feel it

I disagree. Beyond the first race and Silverstone, Lewis hasn't been the same. That he can still win the title for me is surprising, but Max has dropped a bunch of points due to his impetuous nature. Still waiting for the second half of the season, no mistake, Hamilton to appear.

This. He hasn't been focused this year at all. If he was on his game he'd be ahead in this championship by over a race win and the only reason it's still so close are for the reasons you mentioned (verstappen's nature)

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
I disagree. Beyond the first race and Silverstone, Lewis hasn't been the same. That he can still win the title for me is surprising, but Max has dropped a bunch of points due to his impetuous nature. Still waiting for the second half of the season, no mistake, Hamilton to appear.
But Lewis has lost a bunch of points due to the aforementioned errors and team errors as well. Max is a 7 year vet, why aren't his errors emphasized more? RB has the better qualifying car the first part of the season-- how many Q3s did he come up short on? No one remembers him shoving the cameraman away after once Qualifying earlier? He's crashed his car in two practice sessions. Lost it behind the safety car at Imola (but managed to catch it). The point is-- these things have always happened with drivers of every caliber. Ever since 2018 there has been this thing about Lewis never making mistakes and that's never been true. There's nothing I've seen this season that we didn't see during the McLaren years or pretty much any other year outside of 2018. And I'll close with this-- ask yourself-- Max has been driving "better", but can you tell me one memorable win he's had this season that people can't stop talking about? Even Zandvoort was more about the crowd and orange smoke than Max's win. Lewis has somehow still managed to be the more thrilling driver to watch. His recovery drives have been talked about more than Max's victories-- and that applies to Max's fanbase as well. RB and Max however, have been by far more operationally sound this season. Even with Lewis' mistakes, better strategy from Mercedes would have Lewis leading the WDC right now by a comfortable margin.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
But Lewis has lost a bunch of points due to the aforementioned errors and team errors as well. Max is a 7 year vet, why aren't his errors emphasized more? RB has the better qualifying car the first part of the season-- how many Q3s did he come up short on? No one remembers him shoving the cameraman away after once Qualifying earlier? He's crashed his car in two practice sessions. Lost it behind the safety car at Imola (but managed to catch it). The point is-- these things have always happened with drivers of every caliber. Ever since 2018 there has been this thing about Lewis never making mistakes and that's never been true. There's nothing I've seen this season that we didn't see during the McLaren years or pretty much any other year outside of 2018. And I'll close with this-- ask yourself-- Max has been driving "better", but can you tell me one memorable win he's had this season that people can't stop talking about? Even Zandvoort was more about the crowd and orange smoke than Max's win. Lewis has somehow still managed to be the more thrilling driver to watch. His recovery drives have been talked about more than Max's victories-- and that applies to Max's fanbase as well. RB and Max however, have been by far more operationally sound this season. Even with Lewis' mistakes, better strategy from Mercedes would have Lewis leading the WDC right now by a comfortable margin.
Let me be clear, I don't think Max is close to Lewis at his peak. I personally don't even think Max beats Lewis this year without Lewis' mistakes. I just feel like we are beginning to see age catch up with him.

bdkane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
College Park by way of East Bmore
I still think he's a long COVID-19 sufferer. He has said as much. In a sport where a thousandth of a second is a difference, being off just a tad matters.

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
Let me be clear, I don't think Max is close to Lewis at his peak. I personally don't even think Max beats Lewis this year without Lewis' mistakes. I just feel like we are beginning to see age catch up with him.
I hear you, but Lewisā€™ qualifying has been as strong as ever. And weā€™ve seen this season that his race pace is as relentless as always. Usually when drivers start to ā€˜loseā€™ it, qualifying is first to go.

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
I think Lewis Covid and age has just made it harder for him this year and itā€™s crazy he can still win this with all his errors this season.
I think thatā€™s just a way to make excuses for the mistakes Lewis and Merc have made. Heā€™s been driving just fine. This is simply a part of all sports. No one is perfect.

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
This is stan talk breh. :russ:

Regardless, people donā€™t talk about Maxā€™s mistakes because the expectations arenā€™t as high for him as they are for Lewis. That makes perfect sense given Lewisā€™s performance in the hybrid era.

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I hear you, but Lewisā€™ qualifying has been as strong as ever. And weā€™ve seen this season that his race pace is as relentless as always. Usually when drivers start to ā€˜loseā€™ it, qualifying is first to go.
I donā€™t want to keep piling on but the first thing to go for Seb wasnā€™t his outright pace.

It was little mistakes during the 2018 and 2019 seasons that added up. :francis:

He didnā€™t look truly washed until 2020.

I donā€™t think Lewis is at his peak anymore but even a slight drop is still better than 99% of drivers.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I donā€™t want to keep piling on but the first thing to go for Seb wasnā€™t his outright pace.

It was little mistakes during the 2018 and 2019 seasons that added up. :francis:

He didnā€™t look truly washed until 2020.

I donā€™t think Lewis is at his peak anymore but even a slight drop is still better than 99% of drivers.

The other thing, (and this is a total theory that has no merit, but I am putting it out there), is the 99 win jinx.

Once he gets to 100 we may see the old Lewis return.