Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Peak

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My previous post says that I don't rule him out as a top class player purely because of lack of international success. I'm using that as an illustration to back up my point that he was a level below the genuinely class players.

And by 'international success' I don't mean winning things. I mean holding down a regular place and doing well for the national team. So whether you're from Azerbaijan isn't hugely relevant... you will still be playing in the side. And we can use our judgment to comment on examples like Arteta who can't get into the Spain squad... but Wright never had the fierce competition like that.

I used to love the guy to death when he played for us... but, and this isn't after the fact revisionism based on looking at the numbers... it was common discussion amongst Arsenal fans that Wright never did the business for England. He never looked comfortable... he was always trying too hard and it was a slightly different game to what he was experiencing domestically....

He scored shyt loads of league goals, but so did Dion Dublin.

There's no way in hell that you can tell me... after watching the likes of Bergkamp, Henry and Cantona that Wright is as good as them.

Dion Dublin???:beli:

ThaPrez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
SO now Wrighty is Dion Dublin level, come on.

He was great player simple as, lets just leave it at that.

Tarnishing Wrighty like that:what:
better than dion dublin, but making the point that scoring a lot of goals doesn't make you a top class player.

like... would you say bent is?

ThaPrez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
SO now Wrighty is Dion Dublin level, come on.

He was great player simple as, lets just leave it at that.

Tarnishing Wrighty like that:what:
Ian Wright - 113 premier league goals, mostly for Arsenal

Dion Dublin - 111 premier league goals, mostly for Coventry and Villa

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
Ian Wright - 113 premier league goals, mostly for Arsenal

Dion Dublin - 111 premier league goals, mostly for Coventry and Villa

So the First Division before it was renamed the EPL doesn't count?
Dude has something like 165 in the top league in England

Olu Dara

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Supporter
Daps
What's happened with Fabregas? He's been looking real :flabbynsick: on the field lately

ThaPrez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So the First Division before it was renamed the EPL doesn't count?
Dude has something like 165 in the top league in England
I don't work for Sky, so I fully accept that football existed before 1992, but Wright only had one season for Arsenal before the inception of the premiership and Dublin wasn't really popping before the Prem days either.... so it's a reasonable time period to compare them both over.

Henry and Bergkamp were world class players.

Wright... just a very very good goalscorer.

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
Listening to Coexist right now.

Try :ohlawd:

As far as this debate goes, nothing disgusts me more than people who somehow find it fashionable to shrug away world class finishers as being anything less than world class. Great dribblers who do fukk all but dribble (Iniesta) get dikkrode, great passers who do fukk all but pass get dikkrode (Pirlo), but for some reason people are okay at drawing the line at someone who simply puts the ball into the net with alarming accuracy and at an unnerving rate at the highest level.

I think I posted a prolonged rant about this on hamster.

Long Live #9's. I want to see someone score every goal with one touch on some Hugo Sanchez shyt.

RVP keeping the spirit alive. :wow:

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
yeah, achievement is probably the wrong word.

i meant more in their stature... that they will score a good number of goals every season (bent more so than defoe) but will never be international players and barely make waves in Europe.

Defoe is bytch made, but Bent's goals are no joke (and he's played under Alex McLeish for fukks sake)

Cup Winners Cup... he got busy and it's unfair to hold his lack of champions league football against him, but that really was a different era. It's not his fault we were 'only' playing in the Cup Winners Cup though.

Ian Wright made more of out his career than the Fowlers, Collymores of the world did. Considering that Wright didnt play for a top club till he was about to turn 28 them breh where already :flabbynsick: by that age. Wrights intenrational career was already over before it started just because of his age so I dont really hold that failure against him, he was always 3rd 4th choice.

After Lineker the only strikers who done it at international level was Shearer & Owen and thats it. Everyone else been :hamster:

Most of players who represented England havent do it international, they might of had a year or 2 but thats it. If i really think about the most consistent players for England since 00 have been defenders :manny: Rio, Terry, Sol & Ashley Cole and thats pretty fukkin shockin isnt it