Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

ThaPrez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Despite not being an Arsenal fan, I would argue that Wright didn't get the proper opportunity to prove himself on the international stage; certainly not in way Shearer did (when he was firing blanks before Euro 96).
There is some truth to that... Venables never liked him and England were shyt under Taylor anyway. Hoddle was the only one who had any faith in him and injuries and age were starting to catch up with him by this point.

International success isn't the only factor, obviously (Le Tissier springs to mind... Fowler at his peak)

But Wright was a level below the likes of Shearer, Cantona, Zola, Bergkamp... to me they're top class players and he was an extremely good goalscorer who made the most of what he had.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
Great goalscorer and a club legend but never did it at the very top level.

Never could cut it internationally.

In terms of achievement, he's on the Defoe/Bent level... guaranteed to get you league goals but that doesn't make you all that.

The EPL(and CL) is the very top level to me.
The problem with rating players based on their success with their national team is that players don't have any say in where they are born. At club level the (best) players can go elsewhere. If two players, one born in Brazil and the other one in Azerbaijan, have the same stats in the EPL is the Brazil born better if he wins the World Cup?

fukk no

BOBN

Pro
Daps
Man U fans before RVP signed: "Robin van Rapist." After he signed: "He scores when he wants." Fickle.
I got a good'un for em

RVP is in hospital with a bad back cos hes carrying all his teammates or some shyt like that.

facking one man team :russ:

BOBN

Pro
Daps
:usure:

But Wright was a level below the likes of Shearer, Cantona, Zola, Bergkamp... to me they're top class players and he was an extremely good goalscorer who made the most of what he had.
you do know that cantona was a complete and utter washout at international and european level right? Roy keane admitted in his book the player himself knew he couldnt cut it in big european games. probably the most overrated player in british football history who did it in a second rate league. Hes below berbatov in real terms.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
Great goalscorer and a club legend but never did it at the very top level.

Never could cut it internationally.

In terms of achievement, he's on the Defoe/Bent level... guaranteed to get you league goals but that doesn't make you all that.

Thats insultin to Ian Wright tbh. Bent too soft mentality and Defoe too streaky of a player, they wish they were as good as Ian Wright was. And to think his worst season with Arsenal was also his last one when he was already 34

He literally carry you guys to b2b Cup Winners Cup Finals.

ThaPrez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The EPL(and CL) is the very top level to me.
The problem with rating players based on their success with their national team is that players don't have any say in where they are born. At club level the (best) players can go elsewhere. If two players, one born in Brazil and the other one in Azerbaijan, have the same stats in the EPL is the Brazil born better if he wins the World Cup?

fukk no
My previous post says that I don't rule him out as a top class player purely because of lack of international success. I'm using that as an illustration to back up my point that he was a level below the genuinely class players.

And by 'international success' I don't mean winning things. I mean holding down a regular place and doing well for the national team. So whether you're from Azerbaijan isn't hugely relevant... you will still be playing in the side. And we can use our judgment to comment on examples like Arteta who can't get into the Spain squad... but Wright never had the fierce competition like that.

I used to love the guy to death when he played for us... but, and this isn't after the fact revisionism based on looking at the numbers... it was common discussion amongst Arsenal fans that Wright never did the business for England. He never looked comfortable... he was always trying too hard and it was a slightly different game to what he was experiencing domestically....

He scored shyt loads of league goals, but so did Dion Dublin.

There's no way in hell that you can tell me... after watching the likes of Bergkamp, Henry and Cantona that Wright is as good as them.

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
SO now Wrighty is Dion Dublin level, come on.

He was great player simple as, lets just leave it at that.

Tarnishing Wrighty like that:what:

ThaPrez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thats insultin to Ian Wright tbh. Bent too soft mentality and Defoe too streaky of a player, they wish they were as good as Ian Wright was. And to think his worst season with Arsenal was also his last one when he was already 34

yeah, achievement is probably the wrong word.

i meant more in their stature... that they will score a good number of goals every season (bent more so than defoe) but will never be international players and barely make waves in Europe.

Defoe is bytch made, but Bent's goals are no joke (and he's played under Alex McLeish for fukks sake)

Cup Winners Cup... he got busy and it's unfair to hold his lack of champions league football against him, but that really was a different era. It's not his fault we were 'only' playing in the Cup Winners Cup though.

BOBN

Pro
Daps

Imagine bent doing this :heh:

19.03.1994 vs Southampton 2nd EPL - YouTube

And even if he did he would get up and stand there like a boss. He did the cantona before cantona