Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

TTT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Whenever i see Jamie Carragher i think of his book where he talked about putting a hit on Lucas Neill.

"When my leg was broken in an horrific tackle by Lucas Neill in September 2003, my mates were ready to hunt him down if I gave the go-ahead.
A few weeks later I received a phone call. “You won’t believe this, Jay. We’re in the Trafford Centre and Lucas Neill is walking straight towards us. What do you reckon?”

Did I really want Neill to take a crack? “There’s only one problem,” added the voice. “Little Davey Thommo is with him.”

That was that. I could hardly let one of my best mates, David Thompson, now a Blackburn player, become a witness to an assault. Besides he’d have recognised the attackers. The impromptu mission was aborted and I sent a text to Thommo telling him Neill should give him a hug of thanks.

As word got back to Blackburn about the near miss, or should that be hit, their coach Terry Darracott, a Scouser, appealed to one of my friends to call the boys off. I agreed."

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
I dunno. I don't see the big deal with wearing other shirts to a game. :yeshrug:
You can go to any sporting event here and see dozens of other jerseys being worn by people, I never think anything of it. Some people just want to see a live sport.

But what the fukk is the problem with just wearing regular clothes if you're not a fan of either team that is playing?

Why wear a Barcelona shirt to a Manchester United - Roma match?

And I can't even really articulate my disgust with it. Maybe because of the randomness of it. Maybe because those fukkers just stand out and wear it to let you know who they support, and awkwardly try to shoehorn in whatever team they are wearing into a conversation that has nothing to do with anything. They are trying incredibly too hard.

On the surface we're all sorta posers, all sports fans, a train of thought that I've been steadily adopting. People can rant about why they support a particular team without realizing that their lot in life is particularly random, where they were born, their circumstances, who they interact with. So really, those living close to a particular club or were "born into it" choose their teams at random as much as some fukker from a flyover state in the United States who decided to up and choose Atletico Madrid on a whim one day.It's all arbitrary nonsense.

But knowing that, we should all try to save some face because we're trying to be serious adults and all of that, and realize that there is levels to this poser shyt. I liken it to depths in a pool, the more shallow being the most apparent posers. Those who wear a random ass shirt to a random ass match have set up permanent camp in the kiddie pool.

Last edited:

concise

Veteran
Daps
But what the fukk is the problem with just wearing regular clothes if you're not a fan of either team that is playing?

Why wear a Barcelona shirt to a Manchester United - Roma match?

And I can't even really articulate my disgust with it. Maybe because of the randomness of it. Maybe because those fukkers just stand out and wear it to let you know who they support, and awkwardly try to shoehorn in whatever team they are wearing into a conversation that has nothing to do with anything. They are trying incredibly too hard.

On the surface we're all sorta posers, all sports fans, a train of thought that I've been steadily adopting. People can rant about why they support a particular team without realizing that their lot in life is particularly random, where they were born, their circumstances, who they interact with. So really, those living close to a particular club or were "born into it" choose their teams at random as much as some fukker from a flyover state in the United States who decided to up and choose Atletico Madrid on a whim one day.It's all arbitrary nonsense.

But knowing that, we should all try to save some face because we're trying to be serious adults and all of that, and realize that there is levels to this poser shyt. I liken it to depths in a pool, the more shallow being the most apparent posers. Those who wear a random ass shirt to a random ass match are have set up permanent camp in the kiddie pool.

Would it be different if they were actually from Manchester?
I remember being at a Mets game and encountering some Japanese dudes wearing their Yomiuiri Giants gear. I thought it was pretty cool.
I'm guessing that the problem isn't simply with the shirts but the types of glory-seeking fans that wear them?

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
Would it be different if they were actually from Manchester?
I remember being at a Mets game and encountering some Japanese dudes wearing their Yomiuiri Giants gear. I thought it was pretty cool.
I'm guessing that the problem isn't simply with the shirts but the types of glory-seeking fans that wear them?

No probably not. They'd probably at least be wearing a Manchester United shirt at a Manchester United match.

But then it goes back to my point that supporting a team is completely random whoever you are. Which of course is sort of perplexing, to care so much about what shirt someone is wearing while acknowledging that it doesn't matter.

SCORCH

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They are really selling Lukaku :what:
28.5m for a player who needs 5 touches to control the ball
m30RbhT.png

SCORCH

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Mourinho aint got time to be developing talents. What do you think this is. :childplease:
Lukaku ain't developing a first touch or control in tight spaces. He is what he is. I seriously doubt he improves beyond his current level :manny:

SCORCH

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Sure, atleast we know Jose tried though eh?

He was going to try last year until Lukaku ran off to Everton. Shook of competition from a 40 year old Eto'o, a broken Torres and Demba Ba. :mjlol:

Then there was his World Cup performance. Breh was dropped for a 19 year old - who hasn't even got double digit career goals at club level :mjlol:- because he couldn't be trusted to control the ball. :dead:

28.5m :heh: only Southampton somehow getting 34m for Shaw beats this transfer.

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth
Lol..the denial is immense. Yet he scored more goals than all your strikers. And has already scored more the 15 goals a season same number of times as the legendary Drogba. Yeah, definitely nothing there.:ehh:

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
Lukaku ain't developing a first touch or control in tight spaces. He is what he is. I seriously doubt he improves beyond his current level :manny:
I can understand Chelsea cutting ties with him, but the breh is a traditional, old school propa propa numba 9 and alla dat, and these types don't generally develop until later in their careers. The things that make them great are of such nuance they typically take longer to develop. And I mean, the breh is 21 and already has to 15+ goal seasons to his name. When Drogba was his age he was frauding it up in Ligue 2. I legit think Chelsea lost out not committing to this breh, especially not giving him even a single season to atleast watch Drogba up close. I wouldn't be surprised if Chelsea buy him back for double the money when he's 25/26.