Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
i forgot about that brilliant orange book, i bought it a few years ago right before i moved and it's been sitting stacked up somewhere ever since. wonder if its worth reading

@yoyoyo1 can i get a non-troll opinion on this, of all people in here you must've at least skimmed it

SubZeroDegrees

50 shots in the blender.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Nawlins
I'm guess I'm at fault for this fukkery :heh:

ioO9uNpTGok2L.gif

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
i forgot about that brilliant orange book, i bought it a few years ago right before i moved and it's been sitting stacked up somewhere ever since. wonder if its worth reading

@yoyoyo1 can i get a non-troll opinion on this, of all people in here you must've at least skimmed it
yeah you're right. it's a nice read, pretty entertaining. extremely dry when he goes into appreciation for random architects and painters from the 1500s ooo dutch art. but the soccer stories are good. love the culture stories. a bit repetitive. don't have patience to read books anymore (sad) so it's a credit i got it done in a few days.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
yeah you're right. it's a nice read, pretty entertaining. extremely dry when he goes into appreciation for random architects and painters from the 1500s ooo dutch culture. but the soccer stories are good.
nederphiles and actual dutch people can't help but talk about how amazing holland is

i'll pick it up one of these days

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
nederphiles and actual dutch people can't help but talk about how amazing holland is

i'll pick it up one of these days
i'm a casual "nederphile", love the language and want to learn it one day. brehs are like smart and happy scandinavians.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
i'm a casual "nederphile", love the language and want to learn it one day. brehs are like smart and happy scandinavians.
i have dutch family members and i've always enjoyed holland as a country. eredivisie is a fun arcade league and the national team is :wow: when firing on all cylinders

but they are a weird bunch :whoa:

and their language is :scusthov: brehs sound like germans arguing in soprano

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
I guess I might be in the minority but I absolutely loved Brilliant Orange. I remember buying it and reading the first chapter and didn't touch it for about a year, then one summer just hunkered down and powered through it and it was completely worth it.

I haven't read a soccer book in ages though, in case you were wondering and you're OFT trivia is up to snuff, I STILL haven't gotten around to reading Puskas on Puskas. One of these days.

And Bergkamp's biography has been on my Amazon wish list forever too.

But I was thinking about how much I used to read about soccer. I still read about it, but at one point I was reading every shytty column on the Guardian by all those hacks, listening to Football Weekly every week, reading all the columns on SI and every Zonal Marking post as well as The Blizzard and random books. Now even thinking about doing that it's a monumental time waste. fukk was I thinking back then? :heh:

Now I just read the Guardian rumours column, whenever Barney Ronay or Rob Smyth write something and I skim the 10 Talking Points from the weekend and actually read the comments. That's all I can dedicate nowadays.

Anyway, the point is out of all the football reading I did, the one website that actually shaped how I think about football was Surreal Football (RIP). The writing wasn't very good, and they were essentially wums for their entire run, but they let me know to not ever take it so serious.

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
I guess I might be in the minority but I absolutely loved Brilliant Orange. I remember buying it and reading the first chapter and didn't touch it for about a year, then one summer just hunkered down and powered through it and it was completely worth it.

I haven't read a soccer book in ages though, in case you were wondering and you're OFT trivia is up to snuff, I STILL haven't gotten around to reading Puskas on Puskas. One of these days.

And Bergkamp's biography has been on my Amazon wish list forever too.

But I was thinking about how much I used to read about soccer. I still read about it, but at one point I was reading every shytty column on the Guardian by all those hacks, listening to Football Weekly every week, reading all the columns on SI and every Zonal Marking post as well as The Blizzard and random books. Now even thinking about doing that it's a monumental time waste. fukk was I thinking back then? :heh:

Now I just read the Guardian rumours column, whenever Barney Ronay or Rob Smyth write something and I skim the 10 Talking Points from the weekend and actually read the comments. That's all I can dedicate nowadays.

Anyway, the point is out of all the football reading I did, the one website that actually shaped how I think about football was Surreal Football (RIP). The writing wasn't very good, and they were essentially wums for their entire run, but they let me know to not ever take it so serious.
WOOF, same here breh. I used to read everything, listen to everything. Now I read nothing and listen to nothing.

I have 3 Howlers I haven't read, tons of Blizzard pdfs, like 6. Stopped reading my favorite Uli Hesse Bundesliga columns. Only listen to Bighead Redhead once every few weeks for US Soccer and MLS stuff. Even stopped watching so many games and highlights, cause it's just a neverending cycle isn't it? Would love to get into it again but really really don't care that much.

Used to abuse the school printers putting together the weekly Guardian roundups and SI columns. The daily When Saturday Comes posts. Like 30 pages of solid 12 font. And printing out the Blizzard :heh:

--Bottom line it's kind of like podcasts these days right? Used to religiously listen to a few, now EVERYONE has a podcast. EVERYONE has a soccer blog. EVERYONE has their soccer magazine and book now. And instead of feeling like wading through you just go "ahhh fukk this" and pick nothing up.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
i get a little irritated when someone brings up david peace books

the damned utd is a good movie, clough is clough, michael sheen is enjoyable, peter taylor played by the GOAT timothy spall :ehh:

but peace's writing is so goddamned boring :why:

i aint trying to read your diary of you imagining yourself as a legendary british manager, foh david :camby:

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
If there's one thing that's been good about the coli lately it's been the movie club :bow:

Watching shyt I'd never watch in a million years. To be sure, there hasn't been a good movie picked yet but that's ok with me I suppose.