Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
how can serie a have that much more departures than arrivals?
It didn't include players returning back from loan.

seriea2.png

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
idk, maybe they want to be more of a destination league than a selling league, like Liga MX is for a huge chunk of the Americas?

I see you won't answer the question. Or even try to.
Thanks.

Entirely different business model and incentives at play in the Saudi league, compared to typical league where teams attempt to recoup on their assets where possible.

In the Saudi instance, their clubs have always had a backstop from their Government or wealthy royal sponsors so never really had to operate like financially prudent or viable entities. As a result they had very little reason to try to move their players abroad and agitated against the idea whenever floated. For the players themselves, the best always made huge wages and were stars at home, so had very little incentive to move abroad. The only feeder club dynamics are internal, where smaller clubs outside of the big 3 sell their best young talent to Al Hilal/Ittihad/Nassr.

I actually agree that this dynamic has capped the development for their best players, who could have used the competition and experience they would get abroad. Part of the argument for the latest experiment is by recruiting top quality foreigners to the league, the Saudis themselves will get tested and improve their level. But the fact Saudi players dont go abroad, isn't simply about talent level. Totally right about that IMO.

To a lesser extent, you have a similar phenomeon in Egyptian football, where best players often see joining Al Ahly/Zamalek as the pinnacle of their career. Even now vast majority of their NT is domestic-based. Would still favour them head to head against a domestic-based US team.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
I watch trash MLS footy because I live in America and I want the game to grow here. Why the fukk are you watching trash footy located thousands of miles away for free?
Dawg, the Saudi thing ain’t that deep. Qatar had something similar in the past. If brehs wanna watch it, let em cook.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Were the statements you listed ever that popular ? I mean :

wut?

- Brazil and France have had great black midfielders for the longest

you ain't serious.

nothing to do with what i said. france has only been a top team recently.

up until recently people generally believed that breh players could not play responsible roles on the field well. that brehs could only be attackers.

not goalies. not midfield generals.

france team 1984

the-french-national-team-before-the-semifinal-of-the-uefa-euro-1984-picture-id639616185

france team 2018

AP_18161601962300.jpg

- France won its first major trophy in 84

:mjlol: you ain't serious.

that was platini with his 9 goals. and "top team" is NOT based on one competition. the "magic square" (midfield) had one breh.

"Michel Platini's nine goals remains a record in a single European Championship."

- City won the league a couple of years after they got bought similar to Chelsea with Abramovitch

yeah. that money sure plays football well :mjlol:.

what position did abramovich play?

- The Chinese league never amounted to shyt unless you're talking politics there ?

wut?