Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
We saw a squad of Saudi guys beat Argentina in the 1st match World Cup and had them having all kinds of existential crises before they regrouped.

There is no combination of current American MLS players that would have come close. :laff:
So where are the Saudi league Alphonso Davies, Miguel Almirons, Tyler Adams and countless goalkeepers?

What was the average salary for Saudi league before the recent spending spree?

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
:comeon:
Yea, and we are talking about today.

More specifically, you were talking about Saudi league of today.

You really think the team that the represented USA in this year's Gold Cup (pretty much 90 percent MLS guys) could do what that squad of SA based players did?

OK, since you Saudi League defenders keep deflecting I had to look it up myself. Currently there are some Saudis here and there in Eastern Europe and 1 guy in the lower leagues of Portugal. But nobody in the top leagues, not even in Holland or Belgium. That's not surprising, after all Saudi Arabia haven't qualified from a World Cup group stage since 1994.

Apparently five years ago the Saudis loaned out 9 players to different La Liga clubs in a league initiative to get some European club experience.

The most notable player involved is Salem Al-Dawsari, who has joined Villarreal having scored 28 goals in 161 games for Al-Hilal.
Villarreal have also signed a player for their second team.
Speaking about the arrival of their loan signing, Leganés said:
“With Yahia Al-Shehri’s arrival, the club has improved its squad and also gained visibility in the Arab world.”
Other players have joined Real Vallodolid, Rayo Vallecano, Levante, Numancia, and Sporting Gijon.

Al-Shehri never played a game for Leganes. Al-Dawsari had 1 appearance and no goals for the Yellow Submarine. Even Jozy Altidore scored a goal for Villarreal and he was a massive bust.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Japan and South Korea aren't in the West. They send players to Europe. I'm not asking for most or some players from Saudi to play in Europe. I'm asking for ONE.

Practically half of Ligue 1 practice Islam. Brighton had that one Iranian player for a few years. He didn't start, but he played a bit.
KSA is essentially the HQ for Islam. Very different practicing there than elsewhere.

concise

Veteran
Daps
So where are the Saudi league Alphonso Davies, Miguel Almirons, Tyler Adams and countless goalkeepers?

What was the average salary for Saudi league before the recent spending spree?

idk, maybe they want to be more of a destination league than a selling league, like Liga MX is for a huge chunk of the Americas?
massive text

I see you won't answer the question. Or even try to.
Thanks.

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
idk, maybe they want to be more of a destination league than a selling league, like Liga MX is for a huge chunk of the Americas?

I see you won't answer the question. Or even try to.
Thanks.

Because you're deflecting. I asked the general question of the Saudi League sending players to Europe, and you deflected with this "they beat Argentina one time" nonsense. WHO FUKKING CARES. They still couldn't do the simple task of getting out of the group, just like every World Cup for the past 30 fukking years.

An MLS-laden team beat an almost full squad Mexico in a cup final 2 years ago. But the US doesn't send MLS-laden teams to the World Cup because the best players from MLS leave for Europe or Mexico.

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

giphy.gif

8xonbxlk9yhb1.jpg