Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

concise

Veteran
Daps
Capitalism been fukking y'all in the ass too long. You can't understand why anyone would want to challenge themselves and raise the level of their national team? I refuse to believe there isn't ONE Saudi player who isn't a competitor. The answer is because the level isn't there. In fact it's well below the average MLS player.

We saw a squad of Saudi guys beat Argentina in the 1st match World Cup and had them having all kinds of existential crises before they regrouped.

There is no combination of current American MLS players that would have come close. :laff:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
So they're gonna let Saudi clubs in the Champions League, is what you're saying?

i am saying that it should not be prematurely disregarded.

let the thing develop.

if they spend that money wisely they can reach their goals and establish it as an attractive and popular league.

this from 3 days ago

https://www.mediaite.com/sports/fox...di-soccer-league-to-bring-games-to-u-s-cable/

just like them and their neighbours now own the best airlines, part own best global golf, run the biggest boxing matches, run F1, own clubs at the top of european football, have the world's tallest building, created tourist hub dubai, run/own top western banks and so on.

"It was statements by the chairman of the Saudi National Bank, the largest shareholder of Credit Suisse, that spelled the beginning of the end for Switzerland's second-biggest bank in the space of a week – and ultimately led to the end of his career."

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/business/saudi-silence-after-the-credit-suisse-crash/48397618

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Fubo TV as a streaming service absolutely surpasses ESPN and Peacock by miles. You can tell the services that are passionate about football and the ones that use the game as another cash cow. Even Paramount, who basically bury the Argentina and Brazilian league deep somewhere in their service is still miles ahead of ESPN/Peacock.

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
We saw a squad of Saudi guys beat Argentina in the 1st match World Cup and had them having all kinds of existential crises before they regrouped.

There is no combination of current American MLS players that would have come close. :laff:

US beat Spain in 2009, 1 year before they won the World Cup. One-off upsets happen from time-to-time. It's much harder to show enough quality week-to-week to attract the attention of scouts of clubs from better leagues.

Even when it wasn't a point of focus, MLS been sending players to Europe for the last 20 years.

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
people juelzing about neymar .... :mjlol:

he is one of the top 30 footballers in europe right now.

in other words (contracts and objectors permitting), saudi could get all but about 30 players in europe's top leagues if they wanted to.

No one is doubting his ability..
However he's a bad barometer because he was on his way to semi retirement after PSG regardless

I'm actually more surprised players like Ruben Neves and Milinkovic Savic went. They seemed to be on the cusp of a major move over the past few seasons. Unless they decided it wasn't going to materialise and cashed in

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Capitalism been fukking y'all in the ass too long. You can't understand why anyone would want to challenge themselves and raise the level of their national team? I refuse to believe there isn't ONE Saudi player who isn't a competitor. The answer is because the level isn't there. In fact it's well below the average MLS player.
Again, we’re looking at things from the lens of the West. I can imagine for a practicing Muslim player that's getting paid as well as a Euro club, they'd want to stay at home. Europe is not exactly the most welcoming to Arabs, let's keep it a buck.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Surprised Serie A and Bundesliga have moved their start of the season up. Usually, the Prem would have 2-3 weeks before the other major Euro leagues started.

Fubo TV as a streaming service absolutely surpasses ESPN and Peacock by miles. You can tell the services that are passionate about football and the ones that use the game as another cash cow. Even Paramount, who basically bury the Argentina and Brazilian league deep somewhere in their service is still miles ahead of ESPN/Peacock.

Can you explain how Fubo TV is better? Between Paramount, ESPN+, and Peacock, I have UCL/EL, Prem, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, Dfb Pokal, CDR and Coppa Italia. Solid coverage there.

Last edited:

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
Again, we’re looking at things from the lens of the West. I can imagine for a practicing Muslim player that's getting paid as well as a Euro club, they'd want to stay at home. Europe is not exactly the most welcoming to Arabs, let's keep it a buck.

Japan and South Korea aren't in the West. They send players to Europe. I'm not asking for most or some players from Saudi to play in Europe. I'm asking for ONE.

Practically half of Ligue 1 practice Islam. Brighton had that one Iranian player for a few years. He didn't start, but he played a bit.

concise

Veteran
Daps
US beat Spain in 2009, 1 year before they won the World Cup. One-off upsets happen from time-to-time. It's much harder to show enough quality week-to-week to attract the attention of scouts of clubs from better leagues.

:comeon:
Yea, and we are talking about today.

More specifically, you were talking about Saudi league of today.

You really think the team that the represented USA in this year's Gold Cup (pretty much 90 percent MLS guys) could do what that squad of SA based players did?

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
No one is doubting his ability..
However he's a bad barometer because he was on his way to semi retirement after PSG regardless

I'm actually more surprised players like Ruben Neves and Milinkovic Savic went. They seemed to be on the cusp of a major move over the past few seasons. Unless they decided it wasn't going to materialise and cashed in

the first big players that went to citeh heard the same thing. it's got to be for the money ...

ts=5m25s

back in the days when joe royle was their greatest ever player :picard:.

in retrospect players like silva and @Toure have had their faith in the project rewarded and have been immortalised as the progenitors of city's great rise.

Daps
Can you explain how Fubo TV is better? Between Paramount, ESPN+, and Peacock, I have UCL/EL, Prem, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, Dfb Pokal, CDR and Coppa Italia. Solid coverage there.
Not bad..... even though I pirate all my shyt, this is the closest thing to Star+ in Latin America that I've seen that gives you bang for the buck. If you can finagle a VPN and get Star+ from Latin AMerica which is essentially ESPN Latin America you would be eating. Star+/ESPN have a literal monopoly on pretty much everything down there....

concise

Veteran
Daps
Japan and South Korea aren't in the West. They send players to Europe. I'm not asking for most or some players from Saudi to play in Europe. I'm asking for ONE.

Practically half of Ligue 1 practice Islam. Brighton had that one Iranian player for a few years. He didn't start, but he played a bit.

1. Does Japan or Korea offer comparable wages?

2. Most of those Muslim dudes in Ligue 1 grew up in France or countries with historical ties to France. Not the same.