Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What do they have to show for that 8m per year? :dwillhuh:

Living the life, flying all over south America pretending to work. :wow:

You can follow a few youtube / twitter accounts and stay up to date with all the up and coming talent.

I can be a scout for Steve Bruce. I got Central American friends, and I have an extensive knowledge off Big Black players from South America

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
I'd say in the older generation 35-40+ yes. Younger generations not so much. Now Im going off the general crowds I see in test cricket pre Rona. T20 cricket has a different appeal to it and caters to a younger audience plus the West Indies are one of the best teams in that format. They've won 2 out of the last 3 World Championships.

70's, 80's and early 90's was peak West Indies cricket. Like all great dynasties they took their production line for granted. It was being reported even back in the late 90's and early 00's that cricket was losing talent to football basketball and athletics at schools level. Bolt grew up playing cricket. But his first love is football and is special at track. Obviously he made the right sporting choice. Also the West Indies/Caribbean lost a lot of potential talent thru migration to the US and Canada over the past 20-30 years. Like for example Rai Benjamin the Worlds 2nd best 400m hurdler. His father Winston played for the West Indies back in the 90's. Rai was born in the US represented Antigua and Barbuda at youth level in Track and Field but switched back to the US. Now it's not certain that he would of chosen to play cricket he could of always been a track athlete even if he grew up in Antigua. But looking at his height and flat speed. He would of been an ideal fast bowler back in the golden years. Also have to factor in the monetary aspect of it. As cricket only been profitable for a cricketer over the past decade or so due to franchise T20 cricket around the world. Where stars can get paid 100-200k+ for 6-8 weeks work. India/IPL is the place that pays the highest salaries. The PL/CL of T20 cricket. As a kid and you see the various salaries across the sporting spectrum and cricket is a poor relation. And then the phuckery between the WICB and the players that has been off and on for the past 2 decades. Where many of the West Indies superstars didn't play due to various of disputes with the board.

I'm just going off from the things I've seen heard and read and is a take from an outsider.

To really know you're better off asking @Montez @gho3st if it's still popular like it heyday.
@Montez might be a better resource that. I'm from Haiti. we fukk with soccer heavy( shyt Brasil and Argentina are our national teams, @LeVraiPapi gets this joke lmao), basketball, Tennis....Cricket is more popular in countries that were raped for their resources by the British Empire. God save the queen tho right lol. But nah, Cricket has been on the downward trend like you said. Young kids dont fukk with it like that. Although it seems like there maybe signs of a revival as of late. There's a heavy indian popular in carribeans so It will never go away.

SCORCH

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is so fukking amazing, man :wow:

I swear as a fan, there really is no better feeling than watching an academy player come through. It just hits so different to anything else.

Legit got chills when he scored and celebrated the way he did. Unreal moment.

My reaction when Pulisic scored :unimpressed:

Montez

Superstar
Daps
I'd say in the older generation 35-40+ yes. Younger generations not so much. Now Im going off the general crowds I see in test cricket pre Rona. T20 cricket has a different appeal to it and caters to a younger audience plus the West Indies are one of the best teams in that format. They've won 2 out of the last 3 World Championships.

70's, 80's and early 90's was peak West Indies cricket. Like all great dynasties they took their production line for granted. It was being reported even back in the late 90's and early 00's that cricket was losing talent to football basketball and athletics at schools level. Bolt grew up playing cricket. But his first love is football and is special at track. Obviously he made the right sporting choice. Also the West Indies/Caribbean lost a lot of potential talent thru migration to the US and Canada over the past 20-30 years. Like for example Rai Benjamin the Worlds 2nd best 400m hurdler. His father Winston played for the West Indies back in the 90's. Rai was born in the US represented Antigua and Barbuda at youth level in Track and Field but switched back to the US. Now it's not certain that he would of chosen to play cricket he could of always been a track athlete even if he grew up in Antigua. But looking at his height and flat speed. He would of been an ideal fast bowler back in the golden years. Also have to factor in the monetary aspect of it. As cricket only been profitable for a cricketer over the past decade or so due to franchise T20 cricket around the world. Where stars can get paid 100-200k+ for 6-8 weeks work. India/IPL is the place that pays the highest salaries. The PL/CL of T20 cricket. As a kid and you see the various salaries across the sporting spectrum and cricket is a poor relation. And then the phuckery between the WICB and the players that has been off and on for the past 2 decades. Where many of the West Indies superstars didn't play due to various of disputes with the board.

I'm just going off from the things I've seen heard and read and is a take from an outsider.

To really know you're better off asking @Montez @gho3st if it's still popular like it heyday.

Yeah, cricket is probably the 2nd biggest sport in the region but it's dropping. I played and cared for cricket more than football. First sport I played. The best athletes aren't playing cricket and there is the political angle. Players from Barbados, JA, T&T tend to have an easier ride into the team.

West Indies are embarrassing now so the interest has waned. The talent and connection between fans and the team isn't there anymore. Poor planning and a failure to adopt to the world changing has hurt cricket in the Caribbean. It's why I defend players, West Indies cricket disrespected a lot of players and thought the talent would always come through.

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
This is so fukking amazing, man :wow:

I swear as a fan, there really is no better feeling than watching an academy player come through. It just hits so different to anything else.

Legit got chills when he scored and celebrated the way he did. Unreal moment.

My reaction when Pulisic scored :unimpressed:

Let captain MAGAmerica be. :birdman:

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia

idk about the youth now but I know when I was growing up in St. Lucia, we would be playing cricket during lunch break at school

gotta imagine that's still the case...with better infrastructure, The West Indies can find, cultivate and push talent towards cricket to get back to that 70s & 80s glory