Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Daps
I love Poch, I really do.

But can you tell me ANY big time manager that got a genuine (not emergency, mid season) big club move without having won a major trophy.

A guy like Ancellotti was given an old transitional Milan after his failure at Juventus.

Benitez got the Liverpool gig after his incredible run with Valencia winning La Liga in 2004.
Mourinho with Porto

Rijkaard got the Barca gig with no big club experience coz Johan Cruyff pulled the strings for him.

I just don't understand how Poch couldn't even win an FA Cup with Spurs and still gets a PSG level gig.

Because he did so well at Spurs and turned them in to a club who consistently got top 4 and reach a CL final, along with the fact he used to play for PSG

Cape Town JHB

All Star
Daps
chelsea now have more reel european trophies than the great MU.

chelsea are just one kick away from having more european cups than MU.

let that sink in.

so even the ever touted history will help us less and less when it comes to attracting new players.

chelsea have won more since 2004

chelsea spend big and have few financial constraints

chelsea are in (a nice part of) london

chelsea have won more in europe and have won 4 european trophies in 10 years compared to our 1

chelsea have a better manager

and then we have citeh and liverpool to deal with as well.

we need to wake up :hhh:
Manchester United are a club that was managed by Sir Matt Busby and Sir Alex Ferguson.

You can't buy that kind of history and prestige.

I remember in the early 2000s, managers getting the Barcelona job was the epitome of their managerial career, even though Barcelona had only won 1 European Cup.

But the prestige of Johan Cruyff and the Dream Team still ebbs from their colors to this day.

Same goes for AC Milan and their legendary managers and teams.

That said, United have been in deep shytt for quite some time now

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV

bzAQzMJ.png

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS
Congratulations to Chelsea! Man C fans would've been insufferable had they won.
:dwillhuh:

I've never heard a good argument why the away goals rule is a bad thing.

that's bullshyt. the away goal rule is one of the good thinks about cl, to me. adds more drama to it.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Idk if this was mentioned but the ref put in a clinic last night. One of the better refereeing performances I’ve seen in a big game.

SN: Joke like joke, Chelsea has 2 UCL trophies within a decade. Meanwhile Man U still looking like buns...

bigdaddy88

The King Of Power
Daps
I liked the away goal avoids ultra defensive showings (first leg at least),and of course it helps the inferior team get away with murda:lolbron:

ÆTHER

The Fifth Element
Daps
Reppin
93 million miles above these devils
Werners runs are critical and he is so dangerous and fast that all the others get more space. If he could score he would be a monster.

He needs another scorer next to him or for Chelsea to start scoring by committee to get the pressure off, his problem is that he can't get out of his own head right now because every opportunity he gets has some life or death stakes for him. If he gets 4-5 scruffy goals in a handful of easy wins he'll be good the problem is Chelsea right now don't do easy wins.

:dwillhuh:

that's bullshyt. the away goal rule is one of the good thinks about cl, to me. adds more drama to it.

It punishes the team that hosts the second leg for no reason because even if all things are equal at the end of 90 minutes the away team in the second leg gets the advantage of an extra 30 minutes where every goal they score effectively counts twice. Even if they don't scrap it entirely the rule definitely needs to be looked at.