Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Germans battle alone (with their customary lapdogs the French
full
)

Bayern Munich and PSG both publicly condemn the European Super League as Champions League holders say 'our members and fans reject it' while French giants claim the breakaway is 'driven by self-interest'
  • Bayern Munich and PSG have now both condemned a European Super League
  • The duo are not among Europe's elite clubs wanting to start a new competition
  • In a strong statement, Bayern Munich said 'our members and fans reject it'
  • PSG's Nasser Al-Khelaifi claimed the breakaway is only 'driven by self-interest'

Paris Saint-Germain and Bayern Munich have both publicly condemned a European Super League, slamming the proposals put forward by the continent's leading clubs in the last 48 hours.

The so-called Big Six of the Premier League, as well as six teams from LaLiga and Serie A, have faced a furious backlash after the unveiling of proposals for a breakaway tournament on Sunday.

The plan has been roundly condemned by both the FA, the Premier League and national associations, while UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin has warned players who take part could be banned from representing their countries in the World Cup and Euros.

Bayern Munich and PSG both publicly condemn the European Super League | Daily Mail Online

Montez

Superstar
Daps
I don't even like the league idea but the hypocrisy has me in stitches

Same.

I would be down for the current system with less money going to agents, restrictions on transfer and wage spending, and a revamp of the Champions League.

How is the CL a closed league? :stopitslime:

I remember teams like Deportivo, APOEL, Leicester making it to the latter stages of the competition. If West Ham finish 4th or higher they will make it in. Man United has missed out on qualification several times. Arsenal... :mjlol:

I agree that the allocation of places to the CL is too lopsided. If I had my way only champions of leagues would be in the competition. But it's not a closed competition.

I think the monstrosity of this idea has shocked a lot of people into realizing that yes, football has been fukked up for a while, and also, even by football's fukked up ness today, this new proposal is 10 times even more fukked up. The final step I hope the sport makes is to not only dead the Super League, but use this opportunity to fix the sport for good at the league and intercontinental level.

The Champions League is the Super League but with a middle man.

England which is a Super League is competitive but Italy has had the same champion for 9 straight years. Bayern has won the Bundesliga 8 straight years. Real and Barca have won all but one of the last 16 La Ligas. Porto or Benfica have won 18 of the last Portugese titles.

Arsenal and United may not be in the Champions League but they can pluck players from Champions League contenders while they're in the Europa.

Daps
Yeah it's such a shyt talking point. Klopp been relegated, damn near took Dortmund down as well. The comparisons are tired, Pep is generational, Klopp was hot for a minute.
:russ: at calling Pep generational and Klopp was hot for a minute

Pep is only generational because he has always been at the best club with the most money to spend :ufdup:

It took him 4 years to spend what Wenger spent in 22 years at Arsenal

His first season at City didn't go to plan so he spent about 130 mil just on full backs

And he never has to sell players to balance the books like other managers do

And as for Klopp nearly getting Dortmund relegated, I believe they finished 7th that season, that is not nearly getting a team relegated. They just struggled for the first part of the season

Apprentice

RIP Doughboy Roc
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Same.

I would be down for the current system with less money going to agents, restrictions on transfer and wage spending, and a revamp of the Champions League.

England which is a Super League is competitive but Italy has had the same champion for 9 straight years. Bayern has won the Bundesliga 8 straight years. Real and Barca have won all but one of the last 16 La Ligas. Porto or Benfica have won 18 of the last Portugese titles.

Arsenal and United may not be in the Champions League but they can pluck players from Champions League contenders while they're in the Europa.
Fans kidding theirselves they kno this already

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
Calling Bayern hypocrites for being “anti-competitive” is retarded. Are football teams not supposed to want to get better within their own league?

Conan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

I'd be all for the following to aid intra-league parity

1. A luxury tax on wage and transfer spend, distributed among teams that are under the limit
2. Very strict limits on loans
3. Squad limits to prevent talent stockpiling
4. Exceptions, credits granted for using players that were developed by the academy.

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth
Same.

I dont follow. How does having the same champion for 9 straight years make it the same as a Super League?

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
How is the CL a closed league? :stopitslime:

I remember teams like Deportivo, APOEL, Leicester making it to the latter stages of the competition. If West Ham finish 4th or higher they will make it in. Man United has missed out on qualification several times. Arsenal...
Congratulations, you pointed out the anomalies and not the norm. Your post was similar to saying, “we got a few black CEOs, so everyone has a chance.” :camby:

We know the reality.
I think the monstrosity of this idea has shocked a lot of people into realizing that yes, football has been fukked up for a while, and also, even by football's fukked up ness today, this new proposal is 10 times even more fukked up. The final step I hope the sport makes is to not only dead the Super League, but use this opportunity to fix the sport for good at the league and intercontinental level
I agree with you, but that’s not what the Sky Sports, Nevilles and Bayern wants. Football needs a dramatic change and this super league ain’t it, but I’m glad people are realizing there is a problem.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Exactly this. United, Arsenal and Spurs have not even been guaranteed to be in the CL in the last few years. How is that not completely different to a league where their league position doesnt matter?

I didnt realise that since everyone isnt a saint, They cannot talk. Again, UEFA and FIFA are far from perfect and require a reform and that is the way to a solution to what is obviously a problem but that is still better than a league run by the teams competing in it for trophies that wont matter since they're going to make tons of money regardless. Let's not forget the impact on the citys when they start taking matches global.
Yeah I don't get the hypocrite talk going on. It's clearly a lesser evil problem right now. Neville, Pep, Infatino or UEFA might be hypocrites but that doesnt mean they are wrong about it.

ESL is plain wrong of the fact that you don't enter it based on results. And I'm saying "results" because we know "merit" isnt really the word considering how some clubs are backed financially.

If the PL was to end today, 4 out of the english Big 6 wouldn't qualify for the CL. In this year's CL, 9 of the last 16 arent in ESL. Hell, Arsenal, Tottenham and Milan weren't even qualified for this year's CL :russ:

Where Perez and the Americans went wrong was to guarantee a founder status to 12 clubs which was basically creating a football aristocracy.

King Theo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
lets stop the bickering back and forth about managers lmfao. we know who is gonnan stand for one guy and who is gonna stand for the other. right now aint it for the who's merit is better both great managers who if the tables were turned we would be supporting the other manager.

with that said. i agree that uefa and fa and fifa are corrupt and all. and i would be okay with a super league if it was based on merit and allowed leicster west ham wolves etc to fight for a place in it. and when tottenham arsenal united city barca madrid etc are having a shyt year and cant get in on merit they either have to sit it out or be penalized in standings. but just 20 teams is a yawn fest. barca v united or madrid v city is special cuz you are never sure if it will happen this year.

i would prefer uefa clean up their act get the games from behind paywalls at least for knockout stages and if these teams need money find a way to make it happen. because trust if jp morgan wants to give super league money surely other banks will do the same for uefa

English FA gotta implement a winter break and fix scheduling in tandem with uefa

they think a better product is predicated on the teams playing and there being more games but a better product is predicated on the pieces being able to provide the best version of themselves.

it really is a simple fix to the game. maybe have some real FFP not worried about if rich owners come and pump money in the club. worry about owners taking money from the club putting debt unto the club. madrid and united wouldnt even be concerned about this had they've been operated better or sold to better owners and those are the plain facts

why would i believe in a board of madrid and united people to run a league with confidence when they dont even run their own clubs with confidence their own fans barely believe in them.