Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
Is the current system perfect ? Not at all. But ESL doesnt solve anything that is wrong with the current system :dwillhuh:

As amatter of fact, ESL makes any of the criticism I read on the CL the last few days worse altogether.
Like way worse. And if they even dream of changing the playtime structure to look like American sports with billions of ads :hubie:

Sukairain

Shahenshah
Daps
Reppin
Straiya
Same.

I would be down for the current system with less money going to agents, restrictions on transfer and wage spending, and a revamp of the Champions League.

The Champions League is the Super League but with a middle man.

England which is a Super League is competitive but Italy has had the same champion for 9 straight years. Bayern has won the Bundesliga 8 straight years. Real and Barca have won all but one of the last 16 La Ligas. Porto or Benfica have won 18 of the last Portugese titles.

Arsenal and United may not be in the Champions League but they can pluck players from Champions League contenders while they're in the Europa.

All fair points but I think we should discount systems such as Portugal, Netherlands and Scotland out of it. In the entire history of Portuguese football only 5 teams have ever been league champions, Benfica, Sporting CP, Porto, Belenenses and Boavista. And the last two have only won it once each. Portugal has always belonged to its big three clubs, modern football has got nothing to do with that. Sporting just had a Liverpool style drought, they still picked up 7 domestic cup wins and lots of decent European runs in the last 18 years. They just never put together a good league season until this year

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
lets stop the bickering back and forth about managers lmfao. we know who is gonnan stand for one guy and who is gonna stand for the other. right now aint it for the who's merit is better both great managers who if the tables were turned we would be supporting the other manager.

with that said. i agree that uefa and fa and fifa are corrupt and all. and i would be okay with a super league if it was based on merit and allowed leicster west ham wolves etc to fight for a place in it. and when tottenham arsenal united city barca madrid etc are having a shyt year and cant get in on merit they either have to sit it out or be penalized in standings. but just 20 teams is a yawn fest. barca v united or madrid v city is special cuz you are never sure if it will happen this year.

i would prefer uefa clean up their act get the games from behind paywalls at least for knockout stages and if these teams need money find a way to make it happen. because trust if jp morgan wants to give super league money surely other banks will do the same for uefa

English FA gotta implement a winter break and fix scheduling in tandem with uefa

they think a better product is predicated on the teams playing and there being more games but a better product is predicated on the pieces being able to provide the best version of themselves.

it really is a simple fix to the game. maybe have some real FFP not worried about if rich owners come and pump money in the club. worry about owners taking money from the club putting debt unto the club. madrid and united wouldnt even be concerned about this had they've been operated better or sold to better owners and those are the plain facts

why would i believe in a board of madrid and united people to run a league with confidence when they dont even run their own clubs with confidence their own fans barely believe in them.

UEFA already phucked everyone over insisting on the NL being played even tho they already knew the fixture list was condensed. Had most Countries playing 6 meaningless games in Oct/Nov. UEFA could of gained some good will from the clubs if they cancelled it but nope. Everything else got postponed or moved back Olympics/Athletic World Champs etc etc. NL? Nope lets burn the players out some more.

They have a winter break of some sort. :mjlol:Literally the only time to do a proper winter break in England is in January coming off the Christmas and New Years fixtures and have it between the 3rd and 4th rounds of the FA Cup. Which always means they have to pull the trigger on continuing on (like for this season) with no replays just straight ET and pens like they do in all the other Domestic Cup's in Europe. And scrap the League Cup but after all this phuckery + covid doubt they will even bring this up tbh. Probably take out the 7 teams whove qualified for Europe. But to me you scrap the League Cup and that gives you at least 3 midweek slots to play games earlier on in the season and this give an opportunity for players to have a week or 2 off later on in the season.

Roberto Firmino

#GoonLife
Daps
Reppin
Naija
Yeah I don't get the hypocrite talk going on. It's clearly a lesser evil problem right now. Neville, Pep, Infatino or UEFA might be hypocrites but that doesnt mean they are wrong about it.

ESL is plain wrong of the fact that you don't enter it based on results. And I'm saying "results" because we know "merit" isnt really the word considering how some clubs are backed financially.

If the PL was to end today, 4 out of the english Big 6 wouldn't qualify for the CL. In this year's CL, 9 of the last 16 arent in ESL. Hell, Arsenal, Tottenham and Milan weren't even qualified for this year's CL :russ:

Where Perez and the Americans went wrong was to guarantee a founder status to 12 clubs which was basically creating a football aristocracy.
I can only speak for myself but you won't find one post from me saying it's a good idea or being for it even if I am now Team Rebel, I'm purely calling out the hypocrisy and the transparency of Sky, BT, etc and their employees and even some of these footballers who have happily profited from that greed and from us fans, or people acting like it's a step too far when we been through the looking glass a long time ago and some of the loudest in opposition to this have more than played their part in that :manny:

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth
The issue isn't the Super League, we already have it in one form or another. The issue is the domestic leagues and governing bodies who failed to promote or control competitive balance.

I'm not backing UEFA/FIFA. I know the current system needs to be fixed. A Super League of some sort which is the CL is still required but not if 1) Its owned by 12 of the participants. This part is the most bonkers part to me. 2) There is no meritocracy, Those guys are always going to be in it regardless. 3) They pull up the ladder unless they decide who they want to join their party. UEFA and FIFA needs to be more responsible with fixture scheduling, international football etc. and also more transparency. Sure. This current Super League proposal is absolutely not the answer.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils

Phuck him hes always bytching about something or another. His club cannot even win a European Cup/CL in Open play. :scust:85 was a Platini pen and 96 was pen shoot vs Ajax. They have the same amount of European Cup/CL as Notts Forest. Forest havent been in the competition in 40 years. And Villa got a bigger stadium :mjgrin:

Last edited:

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
You know someone in the media departments of the Dirty Dozen really would want to get SLM trending.

#SuperLeagueMatters

:hubie:
:mjgrin:
Robert Williams emails in to note that “the PR for the ESL is being handled by iNHouse Communications, run by Katie Perrior, formally Theresa May’s advisor. Quelle surprise.”

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I'm not backing UEFA/FIFA. I know the current system needs to be fixed. A Super League of some sort which is the CL is still required but not if 1) Its owned by 12 of the participants. This part is the most bonkers part to me. 2) There is no meritocracy, Those guys are always going to be in it regardless. 3) They pull up the ladder unless they decide who they want to join their party. UEFA and FIFA needs to be more responsible with fixture scheduling, international football etc. and also more transparency. Sure. This current Super League proposal is absolutely not the answer.

hell if im always going to be it, id be like jeffrey loria up in that ish bare bones roster and just raking the dough :takedat:
:lolbron: