Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Daps
It's really not though because it just increases places for bigger teams/leagues (they talking about 6 teams from some leagues :scusthov:) and still shuts out champions of the smaller leagues, I'm really not interested in this new CL format unless those places going outside the BIg 5 leagues. Like I said I'm not a fan of a super league but if it's a choice between 2 money grabs which they both are, the shyt new CL or us going it alone with the other clubs and the money on offer it's an easy one to make.

So you would rather leave the PL and enter this new ESL than stay in the PL and have a chance to enter the new CL by merit if it was a choice ?

For me it's a no way Pedro

Yeah the new format is kinda rubbish and favouring big teams and I would rather the 5 or 6 new places went to other champs from the lesser league , but to even think about going to this ESL American style league format is absurd

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How can anyone side with UEFA or the leagues. The corrupt fukks just want to keepntheir money in house. Soccer needs consolidation and better structure. It's too loosey goose. fukk the champions league.

No it really doesn't need consolidation, you can consolidate, the world's game.

It does need restructuring to away the power a few teams and leagues have.

Roberto Firmino

#GoonLife
Daps
Reppin
Naija
So you would rather leave the PL and enter this new ESL than stay in the PL and have a chance to enter the new CL by merit if it was a choice ?

For me it's a no way Pedro

Yeah the new format is kinda rubbish and favouring big teams and I would rather the 5 or 6 new places went to other champs from the lesser league , but to even think about going to this ESL American style league format is absurd
I'm talking purely in regards to a CL alternative which is what's proposed, I think being banned from the leagues or international football is all hot air personally and any eventual super league would end up replacing the CL. I hate both ideas, the CL is a closed shop in all but name so I really don't get the merit argument because it's the same damn teams from the same couple leagues every season so if they are gonna continue with the new format money grab that is going to still shut out the lesser champions then I'm all for us saying fukk you and not letting UEFA eat off us anymore, especially after how toothless they were when it came to CIty.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
How can anyone side with UEFA or the leagues. The corrupt fukks just want to keepntheir money in house. Soccer needs consolidation and better structure. It's too loosey goose. fukk the champions league.
People side with UEFA by default. They dont actually support them. The American style close league system should never happen in Europe.

Daps
I'm talking purely in regards to a CL alternative which is what's proposed, I think being banned from the leagues or international football is all hot air personally and any eventual super league would end up replacing the CL. I hate both ideas, the CL is a closed shop in all but name so I really don't get the merit argument because it's the same damn teams from the same couple leagues every season so if they are gonna continue with the new format money grab that is going to still shut out the lesser champions then I'm all for us saying fukk you and not letting UEFA eat off us anymore, especially after how toothless they were when it came to CIty.
It's not though really is it with regard to a closed shop
Are Arsenal still in it year in year out now the fans got their wish and got rid of Wenger, they have not been in it since his last season when he didnt qualify for the first time in like 20 years

Spurs as well haven't been in for a couple of years now and we might not get in it for next year if we don't make the top 4

So yes it is to do with merit from the season before if you don't get top 4 you don't get in it and as our league is very competitive the top 4 can change from season to season.

Yeah I understand other leagues usually always have the same usual suspects entering it but even their league are starting to become more competitive
Juventus might not get in it this year , which will be like the first time since they got relegated for match fixing

Sukairain

Shahenshah
Daps
Reppin
Straiya
1 World Cup match will be worth 4 Super League matches. The 2018 World Cup raised $5bn in revenue from just 64 matches; the 2018 Champions League had 125 matches and raised a paltry $2.73bn.

This will stay true even if there is 0 star power in the World Cup, because only football fans watch club football whereas humans in general watch the World Cup. My father is a great example. Ask him to name a footballer, he'll say Maradona. Ask him to name another footballer, he can't. Ask him to name teams that play football, he'll say Argentina, Brazil, Germany and Italy. Ask him to name a European club, he can't answer that question.

That's what you're up against. The billions of people like my father whose cash advertisers want, for whom football is something that doesn't exist except for a couple of weeks every four years. For whom European club football is about as relevant as Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem or Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus.

Take World Cup participation away from the rebels and pure economics dictates that it will collapse overnight. Where do you think Cronaldo makes his real money, all those stupid Castrol ads or his weekly wages from the thieves? He wouldn't be on any Castrol ads if he couldn't be at the World Cup. It'd be Salomon Kalou or whoever else gets to play at the World Cup who appears in its advertising :mjlol:

Without the opportunity to play at the World Cup, rebel footballers will have the same global reach as professional League of Legends or Fortnite players. Your target market will be reduced to nerds with little disposable income borne from having enough free time to spend 38 weeks a year watching sport on TV, instead of going to a job or better yet spending money on the products being advertised.

Last edited: