Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
My point remains you guys are acting like the NBA is a league in crisis and on the downfall when everything actually suggests the exact opposite.

I dont think anyone said the NBA is in a crisis. No one is suggesting it either.

But you are buggin if you dont think the quality of the basketball player, and basketball has declined.

The league is not in a crisis tho, its thriving.

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
I have to put on my ignorant whiny voice for this, but it's so boooooooooooooooooooooooooring! Baseball I understand cause it's a silly tradition, no matter how boring it is. A day out, family bonding, talk about things while watching the old ball game. You can buy a ticket for 10-15 dollars most places, and it's a nice time-killer and an overall pleasant experience.

Basketball? Tickets are prohibitively expensive. The game just goes back and forth, and you know that nothing will matter until the 4th quarter. The experience is alright but not particularly special with the sideshows that go on. Realistically you can't really hope your kid grows up to be a basketball player, can you? The family aspect isn't there. I don't know what else, but it's by far the worst sport to experience.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
but it's by far the worst sport to experience.

disagree immensely. Going to a football game is by far the worst sporting experience.

Its 3 hours for just 12 minutes of the ball being in play. :mindblown:

and when its winter and sitting there :wow:

NBA games are actually fun to attend, even with a bad team.

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
damn I didn't even include that, probably cause it's basically the only major sport I never went to nor do I have any interest in attending. 2nd worst.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I see what's going on here. Some of you guys don't even like basketball as sport, which is fine, but don't project that on the state of the sport. Basketball's a great sport to play as anyone who's played high school ball can attest. Great to watch in person and on TV for me as well.

If anything the late 90s were the lowest point for basketball thats its finally recovered from. I say this as a Knicks fan whose squad benefitted from that era. Much greater competitiveness within the conferences as well.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I really dont understand how people enjoy going to football games. College games are slightly better because of the band and less commercials if the game isnt on a national TV network.

But NFL games are absolutely horrendous. Especially if they are in a suburb. I dont know about the rest of America, but going to and leaving a Skins game is absolutely awful. There is this talk about atmosphere and shyt, but I just dont get the enjoyment of sitting somewhere for 3+ hours for just 12 minutes of actual play.

But its the ultimate TV sport. Its perfect for TV :ahh:

I see what's going on here. Some of you guys don't even like basketball as sport, which is fine, but don't project that on the state of the sport. Basketball's a great sport to play as anyone who's played high school ball can attest. Great to watch in person and on TV for me as well.

If anything the late 90s were the lowest point for basketball thats its finally recovered from. I say this as a Knicks fan whose squad benefitted from that era. Much greater competitiveness within the conferences as well.

you are conflating the NBA with the actual game of basketball. Its in a better state than the late 90s, but the game still stinks, especially the American player.

Its an over reliance on athleticism and length. And the lack of a true centers :wow:

I love the sport tho, and it is the funniest sport to watch in person, imo.

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
Thinking about this for a bit perhaps the downfall of the NBA and the problems it has (in quality terms etc. It's already been established, yes, that the NBA isn't faltering as a business but there seems to be grumblings about the quality, the lifestyle associated with it, the unabashed arrogance on display) is symptomatic and reflective of the general downfall and sharp decline of society and civilization from a cultural, artistic, creative point of view. :ehh:

Everything has been shyt for some time now.

Rarely do we see an original movie, music can't keep your attention for more than a week, television is an immense pile of shyt or a detestable bundle of anti-matter consisting of reality shows, fart noises and cable drama series (your Burn Notices etc) that is sprinkled with small bits quality of people trying to create something but fighting a losing war.

The apogee of things, culturally speaking, probably resided in decades past.

It's why people pine for nostalgia even though it essentially pokes a sleeping ouroboros (I went to college. Ladies!) into a repeated cycle of eating up our own cultural schlop and violently excreting it in tense painful dry heaves for the next decades to sift through, like a man cautiously picking through a half dead head of romaine, looking for one decent leaf.

But as Rob Smyth said, the arrogance of modernity dictates that the best we have ever seen becomes the best that ever there was. :ehh:

Things will not change unfortunately. The creative fuel that propelled us into this situation has long ago been expended so now we just murp about, staring idly into space, ignoring what could be and willfully being subjected to the piddle served up day in, day out, interminably.

I say the world take a nap. We all need a nap I think. Shake our bones out, start fresh some other day.

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
Case in point that new Calvin Harris album :pacspit:

It frankly gets on my boobamajugs when an artist releases an album with a bunch of old music. Calvin Harris took a step further and released an album with very very old music..

We Found Love? :dwillhuh:

That Kelis song that came out last summer? :dwillhuh:

Ah well...I guess Calvin Harris is too busy receiving cocaine blowjobs and spinning dj sets in Vegas to actually care about putting out albums anymore.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Thinking about this for a bit perhaps the downfall of the NBA and the problems it has (in quality terms etc. It's already been established, yes, that the NBA isn't faltering as a business but there seems to be grumblings about the quality, the lifestyle associated with it, the unabashed arrogance on display) is symptomatic and reflective of the general downfall and sharp decline of society and civilization from a cultural, artistic, creative point of view. :ehh:

Rarely do we see an original movie, music can't keep your attention for more than a week, television is an immense pile of shyt or a detestable bundle of anti-matter consisting of reality shows, fart noises and cable drama series (your Burn Notices etc) that is sprinkled with small bits quality of people trying to create something but fighting a losing war.

It's why people pine for nostalgia even though it essentially pokes a sleeping ouroboros (I went to college. Ladies!) into a repeated cycle of eating up our own cultural schlop and violently excreting it in tense painful dry heaves for the next decades to sift through, like a man cautiously picking through a half dead head of romaine, looking for one decent leaf.

But as Rob Smyth said, the arrogance of modernity dictates that the best we have ever seen becomes the best that ever there was. :ehh:

Things will not change unfortunately. The creative fuel that propelled us into this situation has long ago been expended so now we just murp about, staring idly into space, ignoring what could be and willfully being subjected to the piddle served up day in, day out, interminably.

I say the world take a nap. We all need a nap I think. Shake our bones out, start fresh some other day.
for those that didnt read everything

Western culture is stale.

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No coincidence that its a bunch of disgruntled Wizards fans that think the NBA is terrible :heh:

In reality NBA ratings are going back up and this is one of the most anticipated seasons in years. Playoffs were great last season as well. Brooklyn has a team. It's not a bad time for the league.

Has nothing to do with being a Bullets fan(which I am), but as a product on a whole it's terrible at times. Yeah everything is great at the top end, but there are more than 5/6 NBA teams breh. And everything ain't great for those team.

KOTK

Pro
Daps
Caught about 20 or so minutes of the Laker game.

Indeed, I did find myself with the creeping thought in my head of, the fukk is the point of all this? I.e. this league, Bynum's hair, Metta World Peace, those suit jackets. All of it. fukk all of it.

But tbf I was on a treadmill. If there is one piece of machinery in this world which can make you question the utter worthlessness of life and the impossible journey we lead in this cruel and godless universe it is the treadmill.

In fact, they should do psychological studies on people who are depressed/on the brink of suicide.

Is there a treadmill near, or around them? That's it. Case closed.

But, yeah NBA is a bit shyt.
Any piece of equipment where you can read METs is matrix devilment.

KOTK

Pro
Daps
Do you notice most females are Lakers fan? I know about 10 who hardcore Lakers fan. They're on FB and Ingrastram getting hyped for tonight.
I remember trolling some mexican bint outside the union last year, she was riding hard for the kobes.

KOTK

Pro
Daps

Pile of shyte that people have been repeating since time immemorial.

I wouldn't want to live in any other time for musical, literary, dramatic or sporting times.

KOTK

Pro
Daps
I thought that is what you were suggesting. If any sport relegation/promotion is probably needed, its the NBA imo.

The Wizards really should be one of THE teams in this league too but we have owners that think DC is Milwaukee :why:
How would that work though?

Cut off the losing teams into a separate division just so they don't get raped by the big guys (aka the west) most the season? Soft.