Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Turkish is an idiot. Anything he says, do the opposite. His choice for Arsenal manager is Diego Simeone. A manager making 5x what Arteta makes with absolute power in Madrid. His other choices are Allegri and Antonio Conte.

He was the most logical choice post Emery. Arsenal cocked it up. Arsenal's football under Emery was too far removed from what Arsenal were known for and they wanted to win the fans back. Midseason, you're not getting another big manager (Rodgers) and none of the former players connected to the Club have shown any managerial prowess.

Legend or not, he came with good reviews and the hope was he would bring new ideas into Arsenal. IIRC Everton went after him but he wanted the Arsenal job.

honestly why would any top tier manager want this position? Benfica will prob finish off arsenal in the europa league and then it looks like no european football next year. Stuck with a bunch of overpaid players will the board be ok with selling some of these deadweight at a loss? Why would any player with clout want to come here when you can go elsewhere and play in the europa league/champions league?

Plus yeah I'm arteta out but wenger been gone for two years and arsenal has had 3 managers already (if arteta gets canned soon) so it ain't like you're going to get a lot of time to turn it over if you don't have the results.

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
Arteta is more of a Everton legend than a Arsenal one. Why did they go for him? :manny:
It's this gif that convinced everybody

But seriously he was really highly rated by everyone who knew him and I'm sure he'll be a good manager at his next job, when he gets more experience. Unless he gets completely ruined at Arsenal.

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Turkish is an idiot. Anything he says, do the opposite. His choice for Arsenal manager is Diego Simeone. A manager making 5x what Arteta makes with absolute power in Madrid. His other choices are Allegri and Antonio Conte.

He was the most logical choice post Emery. Arsenal cocked it up. Arsenal's football under Emery was too far removed from what Arsenal were known for and they wanted to win the fans back. Midseason, you're not getting another big manager (Rodgers) and none of the former players connected to the Club have shown any managerial prowess.

Legend or not, he came with good reviews and the hope was he would bring new ideas into Arsenal. IIRC Everton went after him but he wanted the Arsenal job.

I was all for Arteta mainly because off Mislintap, thinking him and Arteta would work good together. And thinking that they had a plan to develop our own talent and make smart lowkey buys and build this thing properly.

Its ironic that Spurs are becoming the club that we were trying to be. Basically self sufficient, good academy that always provides the first team with legit players, smart scouting, etc.

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
126202082658-1h830n4ayu-eok7qehxeaib71o.jpg

Partey right now puzzled

TobiOT

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
East London

Conte? :picard:

Arsenal would've had a team filled with Kolarov's & Vidals.

Willian would've been like :martin:

TobiOT

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
East London
It's this gif that convinced everybody

But seriously he was really highly rated by everyone who knew him and I'm sure he'll be a good manager at his next job, when he gets more experience. Unless he gets completely ruined at Arsenal.

If he leaves Arsenal.

I can see him being the manager of a team like Valencia for a short spell.

He's more likely to get a much better role than Ole when he's also eventually gets sacked.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
Remember when Klopp and Conte had no European football mid week so they could do proper coaching and not worry about playing every 3 days. And Klopp got Liverpool and back into the CL and Conte won the league.

You know why Mourinho generally doesn't take jobs mid season (He needed the Spurs job to rebuild his brand, plus he loves living in London, too good of an opportunity to turn down.) because he needs those 5-6 weeks of pre season to implement his ideas properly because there is no other time in the season he can spend quality time with the squad. Or like how Klopp was suppose to take a year sabbatical off from management/coaching as he has a set way of doing things. But the opportunity to manage Liverpool was too good to turn down.

Now a first time manager who comes in thru the season, then after 3 months into the job, a global pandemic happens and shuts everything down for a few months. The players have to train in 1's and 2's and have discussion over zoom. At best they have maybe 3 weeks together before the restart. Form picks up, gets to a final. Usually a the team gets 4-5 weeks off before pre season. The squad gets 4 weeks off before its next game and pre season is really a week at best. Now the season starts you've had less time off than everyone else and you go into a season playing every 3-4 days with international travel. Literally no time to work on the training ground and a lot of those days inbetween games are recovery.

Has Action Man Hair, made mistakes yes. But let's not act like he's been working under normal circumstances either. Sure you can say but everyone else is in the same position. Well they aren't really because it isnt most managers first job nor have they ever had such limited coaching time with their players in there first job. Yeah he might just be out of his depth, but let's not act he's had it easy either. You can point to the transfer business, him falling out with players etc. But the thing that Arteta is suppose to excel in, he truly hasn't been given the time to do it.

Between the time he was appointed and the end of the season just gone. I've seen enough to see that there is a decent to good coach.

Last edited:

Montez

Superstar
Daps

Remember when Klopp and Conte had no European football mid week so they could do proper coaching and not worry about playing every 3 days. And Klopp got Liverpool and back into the CL and Conte won the league.

You know why Mourinho generally doesn't take jobs mid season (He needed the Spurs job to rebuild his brand, plus he loves living in London, too good of an opportunity to turn down.) because he needs those 5-6 weeks of pre season to implement his ideas properly because there is no other time in the season he can spend quality time with the squad. Or like how Klopp was suppose to take a year sabbatical off from management/coaching as he has a set way of doing things. But the opportunity to manage Liverpool was too good to turn down.

Now a first time manager who comes in thru the season, then after 3 months into the job, a global pandemic happens and shuts everything down for a few months. The players have to train in 1's and 2's and have discussion over zoom. At best they have maybe 3 weeks together before the restart. Form picks up, gets to a final. Usually a the team gets 4-5 weeks off before pre season. The squad gets 4 weeks off before its next game and pre season is really a week at best. Now the season starts you've had less time off than everyone else and you go into a season playing every 3-4 days with international travel. Literally no time to work on the training ground and a lot of those days inbetween games are recovery.

Has Action Man Hair, made mistakes yes. But let's not act like he's been working under normal circumstances either. Sure you can say but everyone else is in the same position. Well they aren't really because it isnt most managers first job nor have they ever had such limited coaching time with their players in there first job. Yeah he might just be out of his depth, but let's not act he's had it easy either. You can point to the transfer business, him falling out with players etc. But the thing that Arteta is suppose to excel in, he truly hasn't been given the time to do it.

Between the time he was appointed and the end of the season just gone. I've seen enough to see that there is a decent to good coach.

If he was learning from mistakes, I would give him the benefit of the doubt. He hasn't. He's more stubborn than Wenger and man management is part of the job.

He hasn't had it easy with the circumstances. I'm willing to keep him and build a functional football structure but the things in his control he has bottled in the last 3 months.

Last edited:

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils

If he was learning from mistakes, I would give him the benefit of the doubt. He hasn't. He's more stubborn than Wenger and man management is part of the job.

He hasn't had it easy with the circumstances. I'm willing to keep him and build a functional football structure but the things in his control he has bottled in the last 3 months.

You know what these idealistic philosophy types are like. Also Basque's are known for their stubbornness, it's a joke within the rest of Spain about it. He is who he is. :manny: Just like Rafa, who isn't know for his bedside manner either. I'm just adding context which is being over looked everywhere to the struggles at your club. Everyone pointing fingers in one direction or another in the blame game. But there are other reasons and also don't want to :deadhorse: about. Like what is done with Pogba and United as both things are boring and tedious at this point now.

Givethanks

Superstar
Daps
alright, who do you got

Man City > Monchengladbach
Bayern > Lazio
Atletico > Chelsea
Liverpool > Leipzig
Juventus > Porto
Paris < Barcelona
Dortmund < Sevilla
Real Madrid > Atalanta