Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Jamal514

In high demand
Daps
Reppin
Montreal
How is Henry doing? Now I know the season only just started, so I'm not expecting free flowing champagne football straight away. But how is the team looking so far?

He’s been OK so far. Impact are have won 4, lost 3, and drawn 1 which isn’t too bad with our thin roster, currently in a playoff spot. Not a very exciting team but the defence is much improved.

Monaco was way too big a club for Henry to start with, he seems much more at ease here. Football not being the main sport in Canada also helps, the French media is toxic.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
He’s been OK so far. Impact are have won 4, lost 3, and drawn 1 which isn’t too bad with our thin roster, currently in a playoff spot. Not a very exciting team but the defence is much improved.

Monaco was way too big a club for Henry to start with, he seems much more at ease here. Football not being the main sport in Canada also helps, the French media is toxic.

The way Alphonso Davies and Jonathan David are progressing and keep on developing and the World Cup in 6 years time, Im sure it will become bigger. May have the Vince Carter effect.

I dont think Monaco was too big for him, but it was the wrong club for him at the wrong time, as they had a lot of issues as well, which needed experience to navigate, which he didnt have. But he didnt help matters with his arrogance and his emotional attachment to the club, was a bad cocktail to try and succeed. They did have a crippling injury list and the lack of experience within the squad when he first joined didnt help either, if you notice, the players he did bring him, had a lot of experience. But the damage was done by the time those players came in.

TobiOT

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
East London
tenor.gif

Jamal514

In high demand
Daps
Reppin
Montreal
The way Alphonso Davies and Jonathan David are progressing and keep on developing and the World Cup in 6 years time, Im sure it will become bigger. May have the Vince Carter effect.

Davies and David came at the perfect time, both will be 25-26 when the World Cup comes. David has 11 goals from 12 caps, already 11 away from being our all time leading scorer, lol. I expect good things from him with Lille.

I’m hopeful for our future, we finally got our own league and the sport really seems to be catching on with the youth, especially since Davies moved to Bayern. His outgoing personality is a refreshing change from the boring, cliche dropping hockey players.

Jamal514

In high demand
Daps
Reppin
Montreal
:francis: Miss driving down for a summer game. Very affordable and enjoyable matchday experience.

Saputo stadium is dope. Not too big and cavernous and a real festive atmosphere, so much better than the crap Olympic stadium where all the sight lines are shyt.

I’m hoping Quebec can get a CPL team. It won’t work in Montreal, but Laval or Quebec city would be ideal. I’m hoping we can get 4-6 more teams in the league, don’t want it to be CFL version 2.

Athletico Ottawa should get decent crowds once coronavirus is finally dead and buried.

beejus

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Red, White, & Stonewashed Blue since '94
Saputo stadium is dope. Not too big and cavernous and a real festive atmosphere, so much better than the crap Olympic stadium where all the sight lines are shyt.

I’m hoping Quebec can get a CPL team. It won’t work in Montreal, but Laval or Quebec city would be ideal. I’m hoping we can get 4-6 more teams in the league, don’t want it to be CFL version 2.

Athletico Ottawa should get decent crowds once coronavirus is finally dead and buried.

Was supposed to go up to Victoria last May with my wife and parents. Was planning on trying to go and watching Pacific FC play. Hoping this league does well.

concise

Veteran
Daps
Speaking of MLS and Canada, what is going on with the rest of the schedule that MLS has been getting ready to announce? The Canadian government being strict with their border quarantines has the Canadian teams only facing each other for now and the league's games for October have yet to be announced. :mjlol:

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
That Netherlands vs Poland game looking nice. Hopefully DvdB plays. I haven't watched him play in a while.

I’m hopeful for our future, we finally got our own league and the sport really seems to be catching on with the youth, especially since Davies moved to Bayern. His outgoing personality is a refreshing change from the boring, cliche dropping hockey players.

I fully expect Canada to leap frog the US in the coming years. The growing immigrant/black Canadian population will be a big part of that.

The African diaspora in Canada already has an affinity to soccer. Couple that with access to proper facilities and lack of competition/interest from other sports (Basketball, Football etc) and Canada has a strong foundation to ascend in soccer.

Fikayo Tomori if I remember could have also represented Canada (in addition to Nigeria :francis:)

I think in the next 5-10 years will be critical for Canada concerning it's soccer development.