Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
Breh, I did NOT want that shyt at all. I'm not sure if he has the trophy magic like that any more. In his 3 seasons at Madrid the still only won 1 La Liga and one Copa Del Rey. Dude hasn't won UCL in a decade.

I'd much rather Poch who's at least sniffed a UCL in the past 5 years. But to be honest, I'd take Arteta and Allegri over Poch too.

Arsenal winning one league title would be their biggest accomoplishment in years....

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
Emery gets criticized for his lack luster career prior to being handed the Arsenal gig, but what has Arteta accomplished to warrant y'all confidence in him to turn your the ship around?

Even worse, y'all bytch about playing out the back week in and week out, and if anything, he's going to come in with that same possession based philosophy he's grown accustomed to but no players to match.

shyt looking like another Ole situation. Y'all better go out and get a seasoned manager :ufdup:

Hiring a club legend/former liked player, gives a board some breathing room and hope that the goodwill that person brings rubs off onto the players, as they already have the support of the fans.

The game has evolved so much over the last decade, that at the top sides, just being pragmatic, is no longer good enough for coaches to set their sides up. You have to play some sort of entertaining football. Fans have made it know Big Scam, Big Tone Pulis, Gollum Moyes and others that their brand of football isn't good enough, if they aren't in a relegation dogfight. Let's keep it reality, no one wants to see Steve Bruce and Pardew keep on getting PL jobs, because everyone knows how they play and how the job is going to end up, it's the same story arc, from job to job. Board members play to the gallery, so they can keep the money coming in.

With the success of Pep and Zidane, who started running B teams and then getting the main jobs at their respective clubs, it's basically told everyone else, you don't need an already established coach to be successful. If Real and Barca can do it, why dont we do it too. What's the NFL tag again? It's a Copycat league. Which all sports are tbh, everyone is trying to gain an advantage and want to know who is being successful in the moment how can we replicate that ourselves? So when you have the likes of a Lampard doing well, Pirouette P at Fulham, who play modern attacking football, other chairmen and fans notice this and want that too.

The ideal scenario for Football fans would be a team coached by a former player and a starting XI/squad comprised of players who have came thru the academy. People who understand the fabric of the club and have a sense of love for the club, that just cannot be bought with money. Also at the top level if you have a homegrown coach from your club, he is less likely to leave his home when others come calling. This happens with all team sports, btw not just football.

The reason why I guess Arsenal fans want Arteta, is because he will bring in fresh ideas to a club that hasn't had any in over 2 decades. Well probably a decade, as Wenger did go more for smallball, so I guess that is a new idea.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Watching that Barcelona documentary, Coutinho looked like he wanted to dry heave at halftime.

bqwy0bX.png

analog

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Hiring a club legend/former liked player, gives a board some breathing room and hope that the goodwill that person brings rubs off onto the players, as they already have the support of the fans.

The game has evolved so much over the last decade, that at the top sides, just being pragmatic, is no longer good enough for coaches to set their sides up. You have to play some sort of entertaining football. Fans have made it know Big Scam, Big Tone Pulis, Gollum Moyes and others that their brand of football isn't good enough, if they aren't in a relegation dogfight. Let's keep it reality, no one wants to see Steve Bruce and Pardew keep on getting PL jobs, because everyone knows how they play and how the job is going to end up, it's the same story arc, from job to job. Board members play to the gallery, so they can keep the money coming in.

With the success of Pep and Zidane, who started running B teams and then getting the main jobs at their respective clubs, it's basically told everyone else, you don't need an already established coach to be successful. If Real and Barca can do it, why dont we do it too. What's the NFL tag again? It's a Copycat league. Which all sports are tbh, everyone is trying to gain an advantage and want to know who is being successful in the moment how can we replicate that ourselves? So when you have the likes of a Lampard doing well, Pirouette P at Fulham, who play modern attacking football, other chairmen and fans notice this and want that too.

The ideal scenario for Football fans would be a team coached by a former player and a starting XI/squad comprised of players who have came thru the academy. People who understand the fabric of the club and have a sense of love for the club, that just cannot be bought with money. Also at the top level if you have a homegrown coach from your club, he is less likely to leave his home when others come calling. This happens with all team sports, btw not just football.

The reason why I guess Arsenal fans want Arteta, is because he will bring in fresh ideas to a club that hasn't had any in over 2 decades. Well probably a decade, as Wenger did go more for smallball, so I guess that is a new idea.
But he isn't coming through the Arsenal B team. He's coming up from a City club whose philosophy couldn't be anymore different.

Pep and Zidane had an arsenal of talent, plus clubs willing to spend, and back their transfer needs. Lampard walked into a situation where the expectations were pretty low, and plenty of hungry, young talent at his disposal.

I understand the idea they're going for, I just see it as akin to the disaster at United with Ole :yeshrug: