The Official FIFA World Cup Thread - QATAR 2022

WHO WILL WIN?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Daps
Also Ziyech was called up to the Dutch team in 2015 same time he ultimately chose Morocco. Of course he would have less competition in Morocco, but plenty of players faced with same predicament choose country of their birth so there is something to the pride argument.

Same with Mazraoui and Hakimi, both would’ve gotten capped by the Netherlands and Spain.
Do you really think Morocco waited until he turned 23 to ask him? Best believe these African federations are fully aware of who is eligible to play for them in Europe and the players will get approach at the earliest opportunities, long before they're in their 20s.

Steelo14

Pro
Daps
Every time saka touched the ball it either ended with the ball in the box or a free kick or the crooked ref looking the other way

Saka has cemented himself to me as the best English born player in the premier league no bias
Yet on IG Kane is the one getting all the support and Saka is getting the racist abuse and comments. 3 goals, the highlight of the worldcup for England. Kane 2 goals with one being a penalty kick.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Seeing the abuse Saka is getting after being the best player on the pitch yesterday makes me feel even better for England's exit. What an absolute shyt country!
There are a$$holes out there, but if you look at the mainstream media Saka is getting nothing but praise.

You can't account for racist a$$holes but don't assume it's all of England.

Civilisé

Rookie
Daps
Are you seriously using Ziyech out of all people as an example of pride? :snoop:

The same guy who waited many years for a call-up from Holland that never came(but should have) who also behaved likes this with Morocco.

In September 2021, Ziyech was omitted from the national team squad due to a "poor attitude", having previously refused to play, citing an injury. Manager Vahid Halilhodžić said, "For the first time in my coaching career, I saw a national team player who doesn’t want to train and claims to be injured, although tests have shown he can play. I won't tolerate it".[95] Ziyech was then also left out of Morocco’s 2021 Africa Cup of Nations squad.[96]

On 8 February 2022, Ziyech announced his retirement from international football at the age of 28, having fallen out with Halilhodžić over his claims of Ziyech feigning injury.[97] On 13 March 2022, Ziyech and his Moroccan teammate Noussair Mazraoui, both rejected Halilhodžić's invitation to represent the Morocco national football team in the 2022 FIFA World Cup qualification – CAF Third Round against DR Congo, and reaffirmed his decision to retire internationally.[98][99] With Halilhodžić's sacking and appointment of Walid Regragui, Ziyech rescinded his resignation and rejoined the national team for the friendly against Chile on 23 September.[100]

And Amrabat was simply just not good enough.
He behave this way because of personal beef with Halihodzic. And it's well known that Ziyech is hard to manage, even at club level.

Civilisé

Rookie
Daps
Ziyech was ready to play for Netherlands…but the coaches at that time (Van Basten and Blind) ignored him because he was't playing for the big Dutch clubs (at that time) like Ajax or PSV.

Most Moroccan Dutch born players actually want to play for the Dutch national team. The competition to make the Dutch squad is heavy tho..most of them go the Morocco route because of that.

If you look at the Dutch national youth teams, almost 70% has an immigration history..so their first choice is always Netherlands.

This WC is about to change all of that tho
I'm not saying none of them want to play for the NL. Ibrahim Affelay did, despite the death threats. But my experience with Riffi Belgians and Dutch is that they are way more traditionalist and attached to Morocco than their French counterparts.

Ill-Yaz

FA Cup winning fan
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Really had time to contemplate on the game since yesterday.

People can laugh and joke all they want but the truth is England got screwed big time by the ref.

We played better for the most part of the game but credit to France, they took their chances.

But did the better team lost? Hell yeah they did.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Do you really think Morocco waited until he turned 23 to ask him? Best believe these African federations are fully aware of who is eligible to play for them in Europe and the players will get approach at the earliest opportunities, long before they're in their 20s.
Never argued that he never considered the Netherlands. The point is he chose Morocco while the Netherlands was still very much in play. Even Van Basten argued he made a mistake at the time and said he would’ve been a perfect fit for the Netherlands if he waited.

Same with Mazraoui and Hakimi.

There are very few examples of other African NTs with big diasporas convincing players in similar situations. Almost all the players who declared for them were never in contention for their place of birth. Koulibaly may be the sole exception and he was a relative late bloomer.